300 hrs of Shadowing... I need help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr Dental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently in a dilemma..
Can someone please clarify my thoughts..?:idea:

I've been shadowing a dentist for about 200 hours up to now.
It was kinda volunteering though, 'cause what I mostly did was translating. (American Dentist with spanish speaking patients)
I have learned so much from the doctor because I had to be beside him all the time to communicate with the patients, and I'm planning to continue this volunteering for about 100 more hours.
But, the problem is that, since I'm not there to just learn dentistry but to help the doctor, I can't really remember many names or procedures of treatments.

I have watched tons of scalings, many extractions, few third molar extraction surgeries, many root canal treatments, etc etc.

I can explain some of the steps but not much in a detail.
I will definitely get a recommendation letter from him saying that I have been shadowing him for ~300 hrs.

Then, will the admission commitee expect me to know and explain many of the treatments I have observed? :confused:
I wonder if I can't answer some of the q's in detail, they might think that the number of hours was overstated or simply think that I'm not good at dentistry after that many hours of shadowing.:eek:

Thanks for reading my rambling talk..:love:
Now I need your opinions on how should I do.
Or better say, has anyone had an interview were you had to explain any specific treatment in detail?

Members don't see this ad.

lol they never would ask you to describe a procedure.

if you already know the procedures, why go to dental school? :laugh:

300 hrs is a lot of hrs. as long as you get a good letter from your dentist, you're fine. i think most people only have about ~100hrs

don't stress too much. it's not healthy

I doubt they'll ask you to recall that information in interviews. But if you want to make a reference to a procedure in an interview, then you are welcome to do so. It shows your depth and knowledge about the field, which is the point of shadowing/volunteering alongside dentists.

From my experience, the interviewer isn't going try to prove that you're wrong...they'll just be sitting in their seat asking questions and jotting down notes...i guess if they find that you've been inconsistent, some will bring it to your attention and some won't. In the interviews I've had in the past, I could never tell whether the interviewer liked or disliked my answers...I guess they just want to see how you handle pressure and answer questions (to basically evaluate maturity and enthusiasm for dentistry).

Members don't see this ad :)
:smuggrin:Shadowing is intended for you to decide if dentistry is indeed something you want to do, but it doesnt take many hours, so I think its a bit too much! And you should stop soon, anything close to 100 hours is just enough!!!

Plus unless you are an actuall dental assistant, they wont even bother asking you about the procedures, thats why you are going to dental school, to learn all that.

Every interviewer will give you a pop quiz on the procedures you mastered. Spend the next 100 hours asking your mentor about the physico-chemical characteristics of the biomaterials used and the pharmacology of the local anesthetics and drugs he/she is prescribing.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527523

Thank you so much!!!
I'm so relieved now.

I will do ~100 more hours since he needs my help:D:D

Just one more question.
Should I put those hours in the shadowing section or volunteer section in the AADSAS application?? Or could I put in both sections?:confused:

Thank you so much!!! I'm so relieved now.
I will do ~100 more hours since he needs my help:D:D
Just one more question. Should I put those hours in the shadowing section or volunteer section in the AADSAS application?? Or could I put in both sections?:confused:

Shadowing, volunteer, work and wherever else you can find a blank slot.