$300 Palm fund from my residency--Mac user--what to get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiatslug

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya--

My last PDA (a Sony Clie, older model, no bells or whistles) died about a year ago and since I figured I might get a little help from my residency with PDA funds. What to get? I don't want to get another Clie, since I use an iMac, and had to use software to patch it in (they are not organically Mac-compatible). I also heard they are being discontinued. I don't need wifi, or MP3s, or pictures, etc. Just some color and ability to store 5 minute Clinical Consult & the like would be appreciated! How about the Tungsten E? The reviews on Amazon are highly mixed... Don't want a pocket PC.

Thanks!
Slug

Members don't see this ad.

Sadly, Mac compatibility is sorely lacking on the Palm OS v.5+. That includes most Tungstens and everything new. You'll have to get a program called Pocket Mirror to synchronize things, and even then I don't know how well it work. :(

As for a PDA, it sounds like the Tungsten E would be a great fit for you.

BubbleBobble said:
Sadly, Mac compatibility is sorely lacking on the Palm OS v.5+. That includes most Tungstens and everything new. You'll have to get a program called Pocket Mirror to synchronize things, and even then I don't know how well it work. :(

As for a PDA, it sounds like the Tungsten E would be a great fit for you.

whaaaaaa? which Mac OS are you using? I have a Tungsten T3 (I previously used a m130 w/ OS 9) working w/ OS 10.3.4. No problems- hotsync manager works great (I can sync via cradle or bluetooth) and iSync manages the sync-ing of iCal and my Address Book superbly. Everything is streamlined... haven't had to use any third-party SW to do anything.

fiatslug said:
Hiya--

My last PDA (a Sony Clie, older model, no bells or whistles) died about a year ago and since I figured I might get a little help from my residency with PDA funds. What to get? I don't want to get another Clie, since I use an iMac, and had to use software to patch it in (they are not organically Mac-compatible). I also heard they are being discontinued. I don't need wifi, or MP3s, or pictures, etc. Just some color and ability to store 5 minute Clinical Consult & the like would be appreciated! How about the Tungsten E? The reviews on Amazon are highly mixed... Don't want a pocket PC.

Thanks!
Slug

Go with the Tungsten E and you should be quite happy.

fiatslug said:
Hiya--

Thanks!
Slug

The E is a great machine, I use mine but since I use a real computer, I don't know how well it will work with your mac :p

Yeah, thankfully Sony has stopped producing that crappy Clie line. If you're using OSX 10.2 or higher, you should have no problems whatsoever syncing to your Mac without any 2nd party software. iSync beats any of them anyway and is quite well integrated with all the programs you should keep your info in for your Mac anyway. Sardarg is correct -- Bluetooth sync is the way to go if your PDA has that capability (even better if your cell does as well; I highly recommend the Ericsson T610). The Tungsten E is OK, though I don't know anyone who has used it for any length of time who remains very impressed by it. The T3 (or even a T2 which you can pick up at a great deal) is more a med student/resident PDA anyway. If you think you just HAVE to have a camera on yours, the new Zire 72 is a good deal (Sony's legacy -- useless, half-a$$ed crap added onto your PDA). Finally, don't forget that there is now some good sync support for some of the Linux PDAs (Zaurus et al) for your Mac.

Why don't you want a Dell Pocket PC. I have one and it seems to works great.

just_in_time said:
Why don't you want a Dell Pocket PC. I have one and it seems to works great.

1. Really too big.
2. Poor battery life.
3. Low actual memory space.
4. Palm OS machines now equal to PPCs in speed & graphics.
5. He owns a Mac; why would he want to run a M$ OS on his PDA? :eek:

Adawaal said:
Yeah, thankfully Sony has stopped producing that crappy Clie line. If you're using OSX 10.2 or higher, you should have no problems whatsoever syncing to your Mac without any 2nd party software. iSync beats any of them anyway and is quite well integrated with all the programs you should keep your info in for your Mac anyway. Sardarg is correct -- Bluetooth sync is the way to go if your PDA has that capability (even better if your cell does as well; I highly recommend the Ericsson T610). The Tungsten E is OK, though I don't know anyone who has used it for any length of time who remains very impressed by it. The T3 (or even a T2 which you can pick up at a great deal) is more a med student/resident PDA anyway. If you think you just HAVE to have a camera on yours, the new Zire 72 is a good deal (Sony's legacy -- useless, half-a$$ed crap added onto your PDA). Finally, don't forget that there is now some good sync support for some of the Linux PDAs (Zaurus et al) for your Mac.

yeah the T3 is great because I can use my Sony Ericsson T610 to check my email/surf the web anywhere (not just where Wi-Fi is available)