30q and CONFUSED about where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have no clue where I should even think about applying. just got my mcat score today (10p, 9v, 11b = 30Q).

other background is that have around a 3.45gpa, double major in bioengineering and religious studies from Rice Univ. EMT-Intermediate, not a whole lot of research, but with the EMT and volunteering in the ER have over 700 clinical hours now, worked in operating room as student intern over the summer, good Recs, solid EC's, organized medical outreach trip to mexico over my spring break (raised 15k for hte trip).

I'm from alabama, and I'll definitly be sending my apps to UAB and USA, but from y'alls (yes, alabama, y'all is a word) perspective, what other schools woudl i be competitive at? thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

jammin06 said:
i have no clue where I should even think about applying. just got my mcat score today (10p, 9v, 11b = 30Q).

other background is that have around a 3.45gpa, double major in bioengineering and religious studies from Rice Univ. EMT-Intermediate, not a whole lot of research, but with the EMT and volunteering in the ER have over 700 clinical hours now, worked in operating room as student intern over the summer, good Recs, solid EC's, organized medical outreach trip to mexico over my spring break (raised 15k for hte trip).

I'm from alabama, and I'll definitly be sending my apps to UAB and USA, but from y'alls (yes, alabama, y'all is a word) perspective, what other schools woudl i be competitive at? thanks in advance

You have good numbers from a reputable college. Apply to a wide-range of schools. If you have Texas residency, you will get in for sure. But seems like you aren't. The low-tier schools shouldn't be out of question for you, so just apply already!!

Go Owls!

Haha I would say go ahead and shotgun it. You're one of those people who might just have the EC's and background to get in to a school you thought was "out of reach." The BioE major is tough, so the GPA might be fudged up a little...and the volunteering and EMT experiences you have are probably going to be great assets if you cast them in the right light...

Good luck!