30R mcat, 3.7 GPA. Chance???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Don15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a 3.7 GPA and a 3.8 science gpa. My mcat breakdown is P-9 V-10 B-11 total 30R

- neuroscience major
-I worked as a radiology assistant at a hospital for a year and have about 400 hours of clinical experience.
-500+ volunteer hours.
-Shadowed a cardiologist for 80 hours
- 2 years experience working at a neuroscience research lab
- was captain/choreographer for a dance team at my university for 3 years
- held positions as PR officer and secretary on two different clubs
-VA resident

I will be applying in 2011, here is a tentative list of schools i am considering:

EVMS, UVA, VCU, VTECH, Georgetown, George Washington, Howard, NYMC, Albany, Jefferson, Drexel, Temple, Penn State, and Commonwealth

Any other schools I should consider adding?

Also I know my mcat is not that high, should I retake?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is pretty solid.

Do you think you are capable of doing better on the MCAT? You're not in a bad position where you are, but it sounds like you have some time to take it again. If you think you hit your cap, then don't risk dropping your score.

If you feel confident you can do better, and you haven't already taken a prep class, I would sign up for one through TPR or Kaplan. I suspect that would help you gain a few points. Getting a 33-35 would put you in a great position!

I originally thought I couldn't afford a prep class, but I decided it was worth the investment and I think it paid off.

I think you have a solid application and a higher score would put even more schools within reach. Your list right now looks pretty good.

Think really carefully about retake. If you're generally a good test taker (mock, your classes), and just had an off day, then retake by all means.

If retaking, I recommend Kaplan way more than Princeton Review for most locations. Kaplan is way more uniform in quality, but some locations of Princeton Review do have stellar teachers. Materials-wise, Kaplan is hands-down better -- they're a huge test-prep company and spends loads of money on research and intelligence (test-writers, software, and the like).

BTW, I have no affiliation with any companies.

BUT there is a sizable chance that you could score <=30 on retake :eek:
The official stats for scores on retake are out there somewhere. Google it.

30 isn't a bad score. I know for a fact that you will not get cut out of all the mid-tier and several top-tier schools just on the 30. Especially given your decent GPA.

So basically this is an answer only you can answer with your personal knowledge of how you test.

I just saw that you did some research: If you decide NOT to retake, try to crank out a publication. Or if you already have a publication try to crank out some more. These count, especially at research-oriented schools, which include all top-tier and some mid-tier schools. And the research doesn't have to be medical. But if it is medical, all the better for you since you also have a built-in strong LOR writer who might be known to the schools you apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
EVMS, UVA, VCU, VTECH, Georgetown, George Washington, Howard, NYMC, Albany, Jefferson, Drexel, Temple, Penn State, and Commonwealth

Any other schools I should consider adding?
Good List, with some reaches.

Maybe also consider:
UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, Vermont, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, MUSC, SCarolina, Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new).

Per the common SDN wisdom, don't retake unless you're consistently scoring 3 more points on practice tests.

Thank you so much for the replies!!

Any more feedback from anyone?