brettp11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Hi Everyone,

I recently checked my scores and received a 31 (10V 11P 10B) and a K for the writing sample. Given that the K percentile is < 4.7%, I have to believe a scoring mistake may have been made. Leaving the test I thought I did above average on the writing sample. Anyone else with this severe of a discrepency?? Thanks.

-brettp11

limit

Molesting my inner-child
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2000
New York City
Status (Visible)
I screwed the writing up.. I mean I was almost totally clueless... and I got an L and I expected it or even worse. I definately say get a re-score immediately !!

About the Ads

PersephoneInSneakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I would say, go for it, brettp11, if you feel that an error has been made. At least wait 'til your scores come in the mail, maybe it's a data-entry error on your online scores, and all will be fine. :)

If I understand it all correctly, our writing sample grades really only comes into play if they're very high or very low, and unfortunately, yours is a little on the low end. Don't feel bad, I'd give my first born for your science scores. :) With your great overall score, I doubt any school would turn you down solely on the basis of your WS, though. Just remember that the WS is basically a direction-following test. If you didn't follow the three directions (explain the statement, give an example of the opposite, explain when the statement's true/false) and instead, wrote a...more traditional "essay" where you strayed from the directions a bit, then it's possible that you might have gotten the K, even if you are a great *writer.* If you followed those three instructions, I'm *sure* you should have scored higher. I think, if it makes you feel better, definitely have it rescored. Good luck.

PersephoneInSneakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Status (Visible)
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Resident Alien:
<strong>i swear i followed the directions. I got "L".
Med schools can judge these capabilities from your essays and interviews.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I absolutely agree, esp. with a good overall. I don't think it'll really pose a problem, and I'm sure it won't for you either ResidentAlien, but if it really bothers brettp, I say, go ahead and have it regraded.

When I was studying, I thought I read somewhere that if you follow directions, you're guaranteed at least an N or so, and the rest is style, grammar, etc. Who knows.

PrincessCKNY

Crown Royal Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2002
Philly
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Rescore ASAP! *army voice* MOVE MOVE MOVE! Plus, it doesn't hurt to try. If it was an M or something, you could leave it alone but K is sort of a red flag.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads