Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

31 K - Writing Sample Rescore?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by brettp11, Jun 11, 2002.

1. brettp11

brettp11 Member

Hi Everyone,

I recently checked my scores and received a 31 (10V 11P 10B) and a K for the writing sample. Given that the K percentile is < 4.7%, I have to believe a scoring mistake may have been made. Leaving the test I thought I did above average on the writing sample. Anyone else with this severe of a discrepency?? Thanks.

-brettp11

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. limit

limit Molesting my inner-child

I screwed the writing up.. I mean I was almost totally clueless... and I got an L and I expected it or even worse. I definately say get a re-score immediately !!

4. Resident Alien

and what would the re-score get you? In my opinion, nothing.

5. PersephoneInSneakers

I would say, go for it, brettp11, if you feel that an error has been made. At least wait 'til your scores come in the mail, maybe it's a data-entry error on your online scores, and all will be fine. :)

If I understand it all correctly, our writing sample grades really only comes into play if they're very high or very low, and unfortunately, yours is a little on the low end. Don't feel bad, I'd give my first born for your science scores. :) With your great overall score, I doubt any school would turn you down solely on the basis of your WS, though. Just remember that the WS is basically a direction-following test. If you didn't follow the three directions (explain the statement, give an example of the opposite, explain when the statement's true/false) and instead, wrote a...more traditional "essay" where you strayed from the directions a bit, then it's possible that you might have gotten the K, even if you are a great *writer.* If you followed those three instructions, I'm *sure* you should have scored higher. I think, if it makes you feel better, definitely have it rescored. Good luck.

6. Resident Alien

i swear i followed the directions. I got "L".
    Med schools can judge these capabilities from your essays and interviews.

7. PersephoneInSneakers

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Resident Alien:
    <strong>i swear i followed the directions. I got "L".
    Med schools can judge these capabilities from your essays and interviews.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I absolutely agree, esp. with a good overall. I don't think it'll really pose a problem, and I'm sure it won't for you either ResidentAlien, but if it really bothers brettp, I say, go ahead and have it regraded.

When I was studying, I thought I read somewhere that if you follow directions, you're guaranteed at least an N or so, and the rest is style, grammar, etc. Who knows.

8. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member

Rescore ASAP! *army voice* MOVE MOVE MOVE! Plus, it doesn't hurt to try. If it was an M or something, you could leave it alone but K is sort of a red flag.