31 K - Writing Sample Rescore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brettp11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently checked my scores and received a 31 (10V 11P 10B) and a K for the writing sample. Given that the K percentile is < 4.7%, I have to believe a scoring mistake may have been made. Leaving the test I thought I did above average on the writing sample. Anyone else with this severe of a discrepency?? Thanks.

-brettp11

Members don't see this ad.

I screwed the writing up.. I mean I was almost totally clueless... and I got an L and I expected it or even worse. I definately say get a re-score immediately !!

I would say, go for it, brettp11, if you feel that an error has been made. At least wait 'til your scores come in the mail, maybe it's a data-entry error on your online scores, and all will be fine. :)

If I understand it all correctly, our writing sample grades really only comes into play if they're very high or very low, and unfortunately, yours is a little on the low end. Don't feel bad, I'd give my first born for your science scores. :) With your great overall score, I doubt any school would turn you down solely on the basis of your WS, though. Just remember that the WS is basically a direction-following test. If you didn't follow the three directions (explain the statement, give an example of the opposite, explain when the statement's true/false) and instead, wrote a...more traditional "essay" where you strayed from the directions a bit, then it's possible that you might have gotten the K, even if you are a great *writer.* If you followed those three instructions, I'm *sure* you should have scored higher. I think, if it makes you feel better, definitely have it rescored. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i swear i followed the directions. I got "L".
Med schools can judge these capabilities from your essays and interviews.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Resident Alien:
•i swear i followed the directions. I got "L".
Med schools can judge these capabilities from your essays and interviews.•••••I absolutely agree, esp. with a good overall. I don't think it'll really pose a problem, and I'm sure it won't for you either ResidentAlien, but if it really bothers brettp, I say, go ahead and have it regraded.

When I was studying, I thought I read somewhere that if you follow directions, you're guaranteed at least an N or so, and the rest is style, grammar, etc. Who knows.

Rescore ASAP! *army voice* MOVE MOVE MOVE! Plus, it doesn't hurt to try. If it was an M or something, you could leave it alone but K is sort of a red flag.