lea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Hi everyone,

I'm applying this year, but unsure of whether or not my 31 S is good enough for Columbia or Cornell.

GPA 3.78

Any thoughts are appreciated~

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Its not gonna help but it won't rule you out.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
lea said:
Hi everyone,

I'm applying this year, but unsure of whether or not my 31 S is good enough for Columbia or Cornell.

GPA 3.78

I sure would send out more than just those two applications...

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
lea said:
Hi everyone,

GPA 3.78

Depends. Where's your undergrad? If it's an Ivy, it'll definitely help with Columbia (and most likely Cornell, too). My stats are a little higher than yours, and I was interviewed at Columbia but rejected outright by Cornell. (I'll find out tomorrow whether or not Columbia liked me!) But I went to an Ivy undergrad and have a lot of clinical experience (I'm a non-trad applicant), so I think that's helped a bunch in this process.

If your MCAT's balanced (10, 10, 11), then I say you have a good shot. If you have a section in the single digits, you have less of a shot. But the truth is, there is no hard and fast rule...both schools give you the opportunity to express why you want to go there in their secondaries - so just be sincere, get the interview, and wow them then!

Best of luck!

R

Revolution #9

Hopefully you have some cool/unusual ECs. I hear those help ;)

YzIa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
Revolution #9 said:
Hopefully you have some cool/unusual ECs. I hear those help ;)
You are going to need to be a special applicant to get in to either of those schools, and because your MCAT score is below their averages you just have to be more special. I would say that if you come from a typical background, havn't had any unusual EC's (unusual = more/better than shadowing, working in a hospital, premed club, tutoring, volunteering, etc) and did not go to an IVY or equally prestigious undergrad that you probably dont have a great shot. On the other hand, if you have amazing EC's (volunteer work abroad, whatever) come from a disadvantaged home, are a URM, or come from a IVY undergrad, you have a decent shot.

chlorineK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
I have a 30S and interviewed at Columbia... of course I do not know the outcome of that interview yet. I got pre-interview rejected from Cornell. Also, Columbia is my undergrad, so that might have helped me there. I think you will be fine if you come from a good undergrad. I also got interviews at some other top schools (if you care which ones, I will gladly spill the beans if you PM me)

TexasSnow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Houston
Status
I hear Columbia gets very excited over applicants with unusual ECs. Cornell on the other hand... ( I can't comment as I was rejected post-secondary)
The beauty of Columbia's application is the lengthy secondary. I grumbled and moaned when I saw the length, but turns out the school actually liked what I had to say and how I expressed my self. My MCAT scores are roughly equal to you, but I have a lower GPA from a state school. If Columbia was willing to give me a shot at interviewing (but I'm virtually certain I'll find a rejection/waitlist letter in the mail tomorrow), then chances are you will be offered an opportunity to interview (though nothing in this game is certain).

G'luck, but DEFINITELY apply to some more schools just in case :luck:

noodley

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
I have almost exactly those stats and I got an interview at Cornell, as well as 5 other places... 3 are top 20. I come from a highly ranked undergrad and did a lot of research, had pretty interesting activities, and I spent a lot of time on my essays. I also applied to about 20 schools. It's a really random process and I think it's just about standing out above the crowd... to somebody on some admissions committee. A high MCAT score can do that, but I think spending your summer on what you really care about will be better use of your time than trying to boost that score.

With that said, I have yet to get accepted to these 4 highly ranked med schools... but I have a feeling that once they give you the interview, the numbers aren't as important as how your interview went. I also have a feeling that they might go tougher on you if you have lower scores.... but again, the randomness.

Good luck!

Nittany Lion

ROAR!!!!!!!!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2004
Status
psssshhhh... I got an interview at U.Penn with a 29Q and I'm from a state school. Now I'm not saying I think I have a great chance of actually getting accepted, but I think that no one should ever let a "slightly below average" MCAT score hold them back from at least applying to top schools and giving it a shot.

OP
L

lea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Thanks everyone!

I appreciate it...I will definitely apply to many schoools of course, those are just my :love: :love: dream schools...

MiaFLSurf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
The Illadelph
Status
I got a 35R and got reject pre-interview at Cornell.

Had an interview at Columbia though.

rachel711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
lea said:
Hi everyone,

GPA 3.78

Simply put, NO.

Unless you are varsity athlete, URM or inventor of some wonder-drug.

jdovez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
rachel711 said:
Simply put, NO.

Unless you are varsity athlete, URM or inventor of some wonder-drug.
I did not apply to either school, but I would say that although not helpful it is not going to rule you out. This quote is a bit harsh and I wouldn't agree at all. The true key though with "lower" stats is to get everything in EARLY!!! That makes a huge difference.

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Getting aps in early is overrated in my experience.