31 to a 34 in 3 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gutcheckmcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I have been studying for the mcats this summer and I am planning on taking the test on August 18th. I have done 2 AAMC exams under timed conditions and I have scored the following:

AAMC 3

11/11/10 - PS/V/BS

AAMC 4
10/11/10- PS/V/BS

I am satisified with my Verbal score so far on my aamc exams because I started out with an 8 on my kaplan diagnostic. I had a 25 on my kaplan diagnostic overall (9/8/8) and I really want a 34 on the real mcats.

Do you guys think I should push back my test to get some more studying in? I really want to start scoring 12s on my BS and PS section on the AAMC exams. Any tips?

How should I spend the next 3 weeks for BS and PS review?

For verbal I am going to do 10 more verbal section tests in EK 101 (I have only done 4 so far and I have been averaging 9-10s on them). In addition I plan on doing the remaining AAMC exams under timed conditions in the library.

What else should I do to start scoring 34-35s on the AAMC practice exams? If I don't score a 34 on the real mcats I WILL DO a retake. I have worked too hard getting a 3.8 gpa at a top 20 school for me to throw it all away with an mcat score of less than a 34.

Members don't see this ad.

It's very possible to bring up your score by 3 points in 3 weeks (esp. for PS and BS) if you accurately identify your areas of weaknesses, and develop a comprehensive plan to correct those weaknesses. Are you weak on content or general passage mapping? Go through your practice tests: are the missed questions because you didn't know the material, or because you didn't understand the question / passage?

The solution to content mastery problems is to obviously study the content.

The solution to passage mapping is to go over your old tests, determine why you missed the questions that you did, and then do a bunch of practice passages with those mistakes in mind. Evaluate the mistakes you make in your practice passages. Rinse, wash, repeat.

That being said, if you're not applying this cycle, and you feel like you're not ready to take the MCAT, there's no real harm (outside of your test fees) in pushing the test back until you feel ready. Of course, with something like the MCAT, you'll probably never feel completely ready, so just keep that in mind.

Give exams 7-10 a try. I did not break a 30 on a practice until 3 weeks before my exam and ended up with a 35.

I think you have a very good chance of getting a very high score on the test. Your verbal is good, and thats the hardest section to bring your grade up in. In terms of studying, going over all your practice tests and taking a few more is most helpful. If anything, studying PS would be most likely to bring that grade up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Give exams 7-10 a try. I did not break a 30 on a practice until 3 weeks before my exam and ended up with a 35.
Wow man, congrats!!!!! Thanks for the encouragement. I was walking around today depressed but that motivated me to work harder!

I think you have a very good chance of getting a very high score on the test Your verbal is good, and thats the hardest section to bring your grade up in. In terms of studying, going over all your practice tests and taking a few more is most helpful. If anything, studying PS would be most likely to bring that grade up.
I have always considered PS to be my weakest section and BS to be my strongest. I am so glad the MCAT makes PS first because usually by the time BS comes around, I am starting to feel really sluggish. If PS was last, I would not do well at all.

It's very possible to bring up your score by 3 points in 3 weeks (esp. for PS and BS) if you accurately identify your areas of weaknesses, and develop a comprehensive plan to correct those weaknesses. Are you weak on content or general passage mapping? Go through your practice tests: are the missed questions because you didn't know the material, or because you didn't understand the question / passage?

The solution to content mastery problems is to obviously study the content.

The solution to passage mapping is to go over your old tests, determine why you missed the questions that you did, and then do a bunch of practice passages with those mistakes in mind. Evaluate the mistakes you make in your practice passages. Rinse, wash, repeat.
Thanks for the advice man. Y'all got any tips on what practice materials to use. I am enrolled in the kaplan classroom course so I have access to all the AAMCs and all the kaplan material. I also have all the EK 1001 books and all the TBR books. I didn't use any of the EK 1001 books and any of the TBR books because I didn't have time with all the material kaplan gave me.

Also for the verbal section which one is a better predictor of the real mcats? EK 101 or AAMC exam verbal sections?

3 wks is plenty of time, I jumped MAJOR points in just 1 week...though I think it's easier jumping from 20's to 30's than it is climbing for points in the 30's...either way practice tests will help you

My first two scores on my AAMC tests were 33 and 31. On the third one I shot up to a 38 and all the tests after that were between 34-37. So just continue to study and practice and you WILL see improvements. Practice effects alone are significant especially for the MCAT (you score will increase without really learning the material better, just becoming a better MCAT test taker.)