31P 3.1gpa undergrad 3.6GPA all upper level post bacc science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worldcup94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 31P mcat last summer, I spent a year taking upper level science courses, while working as well and shadowing an orthopedic surgeon and also volunteering at a hospital on a orthopedic floor which was entirely hands on clinical experience dealing with patients
I worked for a year as a biologist

my undergrad GPA for 2 degrees in 4 years was 3.1 total
my 21 credits of post-bacc upper level science courses GPA will be ~3.6

I plan to apply ASAP once amcas is open

what are you opinions?

do you think I should retake the mcat? (i dont really want too)

school chances?? I would like loyola (CHI) im a Michigan resident

thanks for any and all help!!!
greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes I worked as a marine biologist for a year in Australia where I did research, and also educated/lectured to hundreds of people from all parts of the planet, including fellow marine workers, government workers and foreign students.

You're in a similar situation as a few friends of mine were this past cycle. You have a good shot if you apply broadly, including DOs.

Try to get some non-clinical volunteering, and shadow a non-ortho doc. I think your interviews will be key.

You'll probably need to do an SMP to make up for that really low GPA. I was in the same boat as you and applied, and was waitlisted at one school. The second time I applied, I had an SMP under my belt and had 4 interviews (with 1 acceptance so far, and waiting to hear back from 3.)

As i understand it, a graduate degree program cannot raise your amcas GPA.

So why is a SMP good for low undergrad GPA(sub 3.0) applicants? Would not a post bacc non degree program be best?

As i understand it, a graduate degree program cannot raise your amcas GPA.
So why is a SMP good for low undergrad GPA(sub 3.0) applicants? Would not a post bacc non degree program be best?
An SMP is in a special category and is not a degree granting program. It's a high risk, paid (expensive) audition to med school, where a 3.5+ GPA while competing with med students gives one a chance of overriding a low cGPA.

In the above situation, you can see that another four years of straight As would be needed to get the OP anywhere near to the competitive range for an allopathic program, whereas an SMP can be completed in 1-2 years.