31P. 3.9cGPA. 3.8sGPA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedRaider19

Class of 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just got my new MCAT scores back 10VR/11PS/10BS. (Improvement from a 10/7/9=26Q) My 3.9cGPA and 3.8sGPA are based on me being a biology major with minors in chemistry and psychology. I am a Texas resident, and am aiming for MD programs. I have decent volunteering hours, and have had a lot of clinical experience. I have been an intern for an orthopedic surgeon for 2 summers, working more hours than a full time job. I have leadership experience through being an undergraduate TA for a majors only bio lab, and have a years worth of psychology research. The research was performed in a clinical atmosphere, as I directed patients through questionaires. I'm not sure if study abroad is a big deal to ADCOMs, but I will be spending this upcoming summer abroad. I know it won't affect much, but I am graduating with Honors from a Texas public school, and am applying this cycle. I am planning on applying to all of the Texas schools, including Baylor. I don't expect to be competetive at Baylor, but right now UTSW is my reach school. Any input, comments or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

get your application in early and make sure you write your application in such a way to highlight your strengths. with those numbers and ECs, good LORs and a good PS should give you a competitive shot at any Texas school.

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be nice if you could spend at least a day shadowing a primary care doctor for a greater breadth of experience. Otherwise, you seem to have acquired all the usual and customary Experiences and I agree you should do well applying in Texas.
Shadowing is very important in TX, so this is good advice.

3.9c/3.8sGPA competitive questions, always entertaining :laugh:
You're fine! Your only problem is being on SDN so long that you're worried with a GPA like that whether you're competitive.

Nice balance on the MCAT. You'll be fine. You should get several interviews in TX with those stats. As the others have said, clinical exposure is great. Most importantly, it should be meaningful experience and not just an application "booster".

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not that worried about being competetive in gerneral, so much as I am curious what everyone thinks my chances at UTSW or Baylor would be. I expect Baylor to be a huge reach, but I want to at least apply. Besides the Texas schools, what would be a few programs that I should apply to? Maybe some that would be a bit of a reach, but not impossible. Thanks again for the comments!

Basically the OOS private schools...Wake Forest, Albany, Tulane, etc. Also consider UAB. But, I really think you'll be ok in TX. You're correct about Baylor and UTSW being a little "reachy", but you may get love from one or both--you never know. You're not outside the range with your MCAT.

An MCAT of 31 is considered "just average" these days... just is. Shadowing is indeed very important in Texas, as almost every applicant does so. Also, if you can get some clinical experience, like voluntering at a blood bank, even better.

You have almost the exact same stats I did when I applied. Even the same MCAT breakdown.

You should be good for Texas, just try to get in some more shadowing. I pulled an interview at Baylor, so maybe you can, too. If you want to apply OOS, just try and apply to some fairly within your stat range and ones that accept a good bit (>35% OOS).