31Q, 3.5 Science and Non-science GPA - Competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gordonthegoose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PS 12 V 9 BS 10

I have two summers of research, a year of Red Cross volunteering, and am doing an experimental human bio thesis. I have clinical experience from working in my school's training room, and also tend to think that I would interview well.

My GPA is a little on the low side, although the last 2 years are much much better than the first 2 (which can and will be explained to be due to the fact that I worked 30 hrs./wk during the first 2 years - not an excuse, but an explanation).

In terms of the MCAT, I'm relatively happy with my score, although I am kicking myself over the 9 on verbal; I never got below at 10 on the practice tests, and really could have done with a 10 and a 32 overall. But that's all water under the bridge. I'm currently thinking against a retake, but that opinion may change based on advice from this thread.

The problem here is that I live in California, and would like to stay in California, an obviously competitive environment. Do I have a chance here? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats are fine, but probably not if you want to stay in California. Of all US acceptees, your GPA is a bit below the mean, and your MCAT a bit above the mean.

It sounds like you are getting a research experience. That's good.

I am wondering about your clinical experience. Perhaps you can explain in more detail. Are you working with sick people? That is the type of background admissions committees will be looking for. When you are working in the school's training room are you doing rehab work on patients? Are you a phlebotomist for the Red Cross? Do you have other experiences that meet the unofficial requirement of having face-to-face patient interaction?

Your stats are fine, but probably not if you want to stay in California. Of all US acceptees, your GPA is a bit below the mean, and your MCAT a bit above the mean.

It sounds like you are getting a research experience. That's good.

I am wondering about your clinical experience. Perhaps you can explain in more detail. Are you working with sick people? That is the type of background admissions committees will be looking for. When you are working in the school's training room are you doing rehab work on patients? Are you a phlebotomist for the Red Cross? Do you have other experiences that meet the unofficial requirement of having face-to-face patient interaction?

My primary roles in the training room are performing ultrasounds, wrapping injuries (ankles, wrists, etc.) and taking note of HOPS (history, observation, palpation, sensation) for injured people. I imagine this meets the requirements, but if It doesn't, it would be better for me to find out now rather than later.

I should also mention that I go to a competitive liberal arts college; I don't know how much medical schools factor in where an applicant went to undergrad in terms of interpreting GPA. I've heard conflicting views regarding this.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I agree that your role in the training room is definitely a clinical experience. It might be good to broaden your clinical experience by functioning in another venue as well.

I've heard some adcomms will give a small adjustment for a very difficult undergrad school or major, but this isn't something to be depended on.

Thanks for the input. Any comments from anyone else would be appreciated too.

Last edited:
When and where are u applying?

Your GPA is not taht below the average, I think the average stats are 30/3.6. You are not that far off so don't worry. I'm a california resident too, and yea chances are slim in the UC's as well as keck's and stanford. However, if you apply broadly enough....about 25-30 schools, you should be good. I am also applying in the same cycle. But try schools that accept lots of OOS, and some schools tend to be very california friendly...look out or those too. Also I would recommend not taking the MCATs again, seriously the difference between a 31 and a 32 is really small...instead of spending 3 months studying, why not do volunteer or do somethign else that separates you from the rest. Trust me your mcat is not whats gonna keep you out (from most schools...unless u wanna go to top tier), but if you just wanna get in, you'll be good with a 31.

you def need to apply to OOS accepting east coast schools, apply early and send out secondarys often, you'll be fine