31q, 3.66

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDuder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people!
I've finally registered at this site to bother you all with yet another "what are my chances thread." I'm basically wondering if there are any schools that it'd be worth my while to consider adding.
My MCAT is a 10/10/11(PS) Q. My gpa is about 3.66, BCPM is around 3.5+ change. My gpa was a 2.8 freshman year in 1999-2000, after which I had only 3 or 4 B's, and all A's otherwise.

Don't wanna write an autobiography about my EC's, but I don't think they're especially weak or especially strong:

-Worked as a "perioperative assistant" (orderly) in an OR full-time for about a year. Got to watch lots of surgeries in my free time.
-Clinical research for 1 year assisting in the coordination of 2 MS studies.
-Went to a spine surgeon's office for 1hr a week for about 6 months where he'd give informal lectures/present case studies
-Volunteered for a 72hr weekend at a retreat for people with HIV
-A couple of other clinical and non-clinical things that aren't really worth mentioning.

Here are the schools I've applied to. I'm trying to stay in the northeast if not accepted to CU. Thanks all.

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School (longshot)
Drexel University College of Medicine
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
New York Medical College
New York University (longshot)
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
SUNY Upstate Medical University
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine (in-state)
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry

Members don't see this ad.

You app looks pretty good. Your GPA and MCAT are around the average. As long as you have Clinical experience and more than 72 hours of volunteering you posted you should be fine.

As far as your schools go, it looks like you have a very nice balance. You have 16 schools which isnt a bad number, and with your stats you should get an acceptance, but look into adding Temple, and if your willing to go south to DC maybe Georgetown and George Washington. I don't think it is really necessary for you to add more schools, but it can never hurt. ;)

Hey people!
I've finally registered at this site to bother you all with yet another "what are my chances thread." I'm basically wondering if there are any schools that it'd be worth my while to consider adding.
My MCAT is a 10/10/11(PS) Q. My gpa is about 3.66, BCPM is around 3.5+ change. My gpa was a 2.8 freshman year in 1999-2000, after which I had only 3 or 4 B's, and all A's otherwise.

Don't wanna write an autobiography about my EC's, but I don't think they're especially weak or especially strong:

-Worked as a "perioperative assistant" (orderly) in an OR full-time for about a year. Got to watch lots of surgeries in my free time.
-Went to a spine surgeon's office for 1hr a week for about 6 months where he'd give informal lectures/present case studies
-A couple of other clinical and non-clinical things that aren't really worth mentioning.

Here are the schools I've applied to. I'm trying to stay in the northeast if not accepted to CU. Thanks all.

Albany Medical College
New York Medical College

I think you are a pretty well-rounded candidate, assuming (and hoping) you have more than 72 hours of clinical volunteering. I think your best shot (and probably best financial opportunity haha) is CU. It sounds like if you get into CU, you will withdraw everything else. Is this true? Anyway, I think you have a good shot at CU. Practice interviewing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey people!

Albany Medical College
New York Medical College

Your list looks pretty solid, I noticed noticed however you have none of the CA public schools, which are excellent. You may also want to throw in a couple reach schools for the heck of it. No your stats on not fantastic, but they aren't bad either. You can't win the lotto if you don't play it, right?

( Oh and check out the LizzyM chart, it should be stickied ( cant spell ) somewhere.

GOod LUCK!:luck::xf:

It sounds like if you get into CU, you will withdraw everything else. Is this true?

Yeah, if I get into CU it's sort of a no brainer. My whole family is in NY, and I'm sort of torn as to whether or not I'd prefer to live back east or stay in CO. But CU is such a good school, in-state tuition is relatively inexpensive, and the new campus is top notch. I'm a little worried though since my MCAT is a bit under par, the median being 34 according to the newest MSAR.

Your list looks pretty solid, I noticed noticed however you have none of the CA public schools, which are excellent.

Anybody else agree with this? I thought that applying to CA schools as an OOS applicant was pretty futile with my numbers. I'd live in Cali., though I don't think I could afford to be homeless in La Jolla. Thoughts?

Yeah, if I get into CU it's sort of a no brainer. My whole family is in NY, and I'm sort of torn as to whether or not I'd prefer to live back east or stay in CO. But CU is such a good school, in-state tuition is relatively inexpensive, and the new campus is top notch. I'm a little worried though since my MCAT is a bit under par, the median being 34 according to the newest MSAR.

Still, you have a good shot.

Anybody else agree with this? I thought that applying to CA schools as an OOS applicant was pretty futile with my numbers. I'd live in Cali., though I don't think I could afford to be homeless in La Jolla. Thoughts?

I don't really agree, sorry. Neither your MCAT nor your GPA meets the UC level. And, you are not a Cali resident. Not a good combination for applying to the UC system haha

Do you happen to have any other volunteering? I don't doubt that you did a good amount of work, but if you write 72 hrs/3 days, adcoms will probably recognize that you did not, in fact, work every hour of every day...at most they'll assume you did ~50 hrs or so, but regardless you prob. want more than 3 days of volunteer experience total...see if you can start some hospital/clinical volunteering now, so at least you can mention it in secondaries or update letters, etc...good luck!

Do you happen to have any other volunteering? I don't doubt that you did a good amount of work, but if you write 72 hrs/3 days, adcoms will probably recognize that you did not, in fact, work every hour of every day...at most they'll assume you did ~50 hrs or so, but regardless you prob. want more than 3 days of volunteer experience total...see if you can start some hospital/clinical volunteering now, so at least you can mention it in secondaries or update letters, etc...good luck!

Ditto. I know you didn't say it this way, but other folks started to credit you with 72 hours volunteering for a 3 day weekend event. People don't really do that, do they? I thought funny numbers/accounting was reserved for Wall Street and Congress.

Also, I would definitely save the money and time on public CA schools. The OOS friendly ones (LA, SD?, SF) have much higher mean stats than you have. Davis and Irvine are so unfriendly to OOS it's prolly not worth your time either.