31Q, 3.68 BCPM, 2.92 cGpa Non Trad EVMS smp or D.O.??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMC1371

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non traditional student that served in the Marine Corps for 7 years (2 deployments) and would like to post my stats for critique/advice. At my current University, I have a dramatic upward GPA trend finishing the past 5 semesters with at least a 3.6 overall. My issue is that during my military years, I took multiple courses at local community colleges with the unknown inability to complete them successfully. These courses were all intro gen eds (no science). In 2007, I lost 4 of my Marines in combat, came back, attempted a full load and left the semester with a 1.2 gpa for the semester. No matter the reason, the numbers are still on paper. Here is a breakdown of my current stats:
MCAT 31Q
3.7 overall from my University (cc transfer grades are Ts)
2.2 gpa from CCs (with enough courses to SLOWLY increase AMCAS calculation)
3.68 BCPM
2.92 AMCAS overall
250 Hospital volunteer hours
8 years honorably in the Marine Corps
1 semester shadowing an MD
5 LORS: 2 professors, 1 MD, 1 Battalion Surgeon D.O. whom I served with overseas, 1 battalion commander whom I also served with.

I am a VA resident and would like opinions on my competitiveness for EVMS's SMP program. I decided last year to go this route instead of replacing 18 hours of gen ed courses for D.O. schools but am starting to second guess my decision given the programs competitiveness. Any thoughts, opinions, advice? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

STRONGLY suggest taking a post-bac program to show us you can handle medical school.
Many thanks for your service. Semper fi!

I am a non traditional student that served in the Marine Corps for 7 years (2 deployments) and would like to post my stats for critique/advice. At my current University, I have a dramatic upward GPA trend finishing the past 5 semesters with at least a 3.6 overall. My issue is that during my military years, I took multiple courses at local community colleges with the unknown inability to complete them successfully. These courses were all intro gen eds (no science). In 2007, I lost 4 of my Marines in combat, came back, attempted a full load and left the semester with a 1.2 gpa for the semester. No matter the reason, the numbers are still on paper. Here is a breakdown of my current stats:
MCAT 31Q
3.68 BCPM
2.92 AMCAS overall
5 LORS: 2 professors, 1 MD, 1 Battalion Surgeon D.O. whom I served with overseas, 1 battalion commander whom I also served with.

I am a VA resident and would like opinions on my competitiveness for EVMS's SMP program. I decided last year to go this route instead of replacing 18 hours of gen ed courses for D.O. schools but am starting to second guess my decision given the programs competitiveness. Any thoughts, opinions, advice? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply Goro! Do you think my stats would be competitive for this particular SMP? The minimum GPA requirements are a 2.75 but the seats are fairly limited. Also with grade replacement I feel I have a good chance with D.O.s. The problem is, as of now, I need to chose one route (D.O. or SMP). If I take whats best for the SMP, I wont be taking the remainder of the replacement courses (BasicCourse101 x 4) to get the Fs out of my calculations for AACOMAS. Decisions, decisions...thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not familiar with that particular program. It would probably be easier to simply re-take the F courses and get that GPA boosted. But, at the same time, take some high level Bio courses (Anatomy/Physiology/Biochem/Genetics etc) to also show you handle a challenging course load. It's kinda like doing a mini-SMP.

Thanks for the reply Goro! Do you think my stats would be competitive for this particular SMP? The minimum GPA requirements are a 2.75 but the seats are fairly limited. Also with grade replacement I feel I have a good chance with D.O.s. The problem is, as of now, I need to chose one route (D.O. or SMP). If I take whats best for the SMP, I wont be taking the remainder of the replacement courses (BasicCourse101 x 4) to get the Fs out of my calculations for AACOMAS. Decisions, decisions...thanks again!

Mr. Marine,

As you stand today, with grade replacement and your good MCAT score you have a pretty good chance at a DO school. I would recommend retaking some of those classes you got C or below. That should bring your AACOM GPA up to a respectable level. I would recommend talking to someone at a DO school you are interested in to guide you through the process.

Good luck!!!:luck:

P.S. You can change your status to premed now. :)

Haha thanks! I didn't even realize I selected pre-pharm on accident. My AACOMAS sGPA is a 3.67 with an overall 3.3. I can boost it to an overall 3.5 by retaking 5 freshman courses which will look better on paper for D.O. but not M.D.. If stick with the histo, microbio, embryo and cell bio as I had intended to, my transcripts would look much better (course wise) for the EVMS SMP (since without grade replacement I should take the most beneficial, challenging courses). EVMS SMP has one of the highest home Medical School acceptance rates of any SMP and I am in state and local. I guess it's just a matter of rolling the dice in this case. I just hate taking 5 intro classes when I could be taking high level, more beneficial courses. Thanks for the replies!

MCAT 31Q
3.68 BCPM
2.92 AMCAS overall

I am a former Marine from VA with the same exact issue, I started out real crappy at community college and ended my last 65 some credits with a GPA > 3.6. You are good to go for DO schools but for MD schools I would say you would need the SMP program. Most MD schools will automatically screen out if the GPA is below 3.0. Regardless I think you are competitive enough for the SMP program and will do very well. Honestly, in the end it's up to you do you want to go the DO route or do the SMP/MD route. It's great to see a fellow Marine from VA trying to be a doctor. Personally I think you could easily get into a DO school with just the 3.3 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA wouldn't even need to retake, If I were you I would just take that route. I wouldn't want to be taking the SMP program to repair things when I can simply get into a US D.O school and start out fresh but that's just me. Repairing GPA is just a time and money consumption that is unnecessary in your case. Feel free to message me if you need any help at all, Semper Fi and good luck

Last edited:
Haha thanks! I didn't even realize I selected pre-pharm on accident. My AACOMAS sGPA is a 3.67 with an overall 3.3. I can boost it to an overall 3.5 by retaking 5 freshman courses which will look better on paper for D.O. but not M.D.. If stick with the histo, microbio, embryo and cell bio as I had intended to, my transcripts would look much better (course wise) for the EVMS SMP (since without grade replacement I should take the most beneficial, challenging courses). EVMS SMP has one of the highest home Medical School acceptance rates of any SMP and I am in state and local. I guess it's just a matter of rolling the dice in this case. I just hate taking 5 intro classes when I could be taking high level, more beneficial courses. Thanks for the replies!

With that AACOM GPA and your great MCAT you are set to go Mr. Marine. Like flodhi1 suggested, an SMP may strengthen your chances at an MD program. However, I think based on your life experiences and being a marine and all that ;) you could land a seat in an MD program as is. I worked at a med school during my undergrad and saw a few military folks with your stats getting through.

Glad to see you changed your status. :)