32 MCAT 4.0 sGPA 4.0cGPA chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UltimateforFun

Frisbee Fanatic
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I am currently a junior trying to decide whether or not to apply this upcoming cycle. I am a little worried about my MCAT even though it is really well balanced. Here are all of my stats:

Stats:
sGPA: 4.0
cGPA: 4.0

PS:11
VR: 10
BS: 11
Total:32

Clinical Volunteering in the Emergency Department (100+ hours)
Nonclinical volunteering on campus in bio. labs performing research projects and experiments with high school students (~4 hours a week)
Shadow Pediatrician/Internal Medicine Resident (45hours)
Shadow Physical Therapist (40 hours)

TBI and NMR Research (10+hours a week for 2 semesters)
-Continued for a summer at 40 hours a week with a nationally recognized grant
-Hoping to publish this summer and be first or second author (no grad student help :cool: )

Work experience:
Genetics TA next semester (10 hours a week)
Tutor at local YWCA for STEM initiative (6 hours a week Freshman year)
Lifeguard and taught swim lessons

Leadership
Global Medical Brigades (Treasurer and Secretary) organize trips to Honduras and Nicaragua
Special Interest Housing community, House manager
Campus group for Pre-med students, Vice President
Phi Kappa Phi Member
Chair for our college's annual ball

Best for Last:
ULTIMATE FRISBEE :D (for my sanity and body :naughty:)

Any feedback would be welcome. Not sure really where to apply and whether or not the MCAT is really going to hold me back in determining which schools I should consider out of my reach.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are pretty stellar. you managed to maintain a 4.0 in your science and cumulative GPA while racking up clinical and no clinical hours, research, and showing leadership? and you have hobbies? I think you've got a pretty solid application. Your MCAT score is good, too. Medical schools like to see an even distribution in your score rather than a big variance, so 11/10/11 is good. 32 is where I believe the cut off is for applications; you've got a 32, take it and run. You clearly don't need a post-bacc, unless you wanted to take a year off and do research. But with a great application like that and plenty of time before AMCAS opens, I would say go for it. Go on the AMCAS site now and pull the old AMCAS application and start filling it out in a word doc, so on June 1st you can just copy/paste everything and have it all in immediately. Work on your personal statement too, and keep an eye out for the secondary apps on SDN when the time comes. this application would best serve you if you got it out first. don't take your time on it! and good luck

you managed to maintain a 4.0 in your science and cumulative GPA while racking up clinical and no clinical hours, research, and showing leadership? and you have hobbies? I think you've got a pretty solid application. Your MCAT score is good, too. Medical schools like to see an even distribution in your score rather than a big variance, so 11/10/11 is good. 32 is where I believe the cut off is for applications; you've got a 32, take it and run.

First of all thanks for the comments. Ya I guess my only fear is that the MCAT score doesn't reflect the work of a 4.0 student. I know it wasn't my best day and I might be able to improve a few points if I took it again but then there is always the fear that the score will decrease.

However, there is no grade inflation here haha I worked my *** off for these stats and I just don't want the MCAT to be my limiting factor. Heck yes I have hobbies, I would go insane without them! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
a 32 is a perfectly fine MCAT and it does not offset your GPA. Good Job, good ec's, your in line for a mid tier school. Just apply broadly

hahah no problem.
Grab an MSAR book and check out some colleges near you with averages around yours. apply above and below, and apply to top 10s because, hey you never know. there's gonna be kids with 4.0s applying but it's your ECs that set you apart. it's not worth taking the MCAT over again unless you take a full year off and study the whole year. 32 is good enough for US med schools

a 32 is a perfectly fine MCAT and it does not offset your GPA. Good Job, good ec's, your in line for a mid tier school. Just apply broadly

OP. don't listen to this "tier" stuff. apply to schools you would like to go to, have a realistic chance to get in to and would be least damaging financially. I GUARANTEE you that you can become a capable MD grad at essentially ANY US allopathic school. remember, medical school is a START and you are a doctor in NAME ONLY when you graduate. It is the 5-9 years AFTER that will allow you to even ENTER the field as a NEWBIE. (and it will be another good 8-10 years after that that you can have ANY gravitas). This from a 1977 MD grad from U of I chicago ( great career and going strong)

OP. don't listen to this "tier" stuff. apply to schools you would like to go to, have a realistic chance to get in to and would be least damaging financially. I GUARANTEE you that you can become a capable MD grad at essentially ANY US allopathic school. remember, medical school is a START and you are a doctor in NAME ONLY when you graduate. It is the 5-9 years AFTER that will allow you to even ENTER the field as a NEWBIE. (and it will be another good 8-10 years after that that you can have ANY gravitas). This from a 1977 MD grad from U of I chicago ( great career and going strong)

^ :love: Love this perspective and thank you for posting I had lost sight of this

We all need to keep this in mind for sure haha med school is only a baby step if you think about the whole process