32 MCAT but with 14 VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawyer_doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest taking a crack at an app cycle and perhaps retaking later in the year; you can always update.
Invest in MSAR Online and target MD schools strategically.
You're fine for any DO school, BTW.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree with Goro. You could probably do better in the sciences; but apply. Also consider applying to DO. Darn I love my FP DO. He is so awesome and on-the-ball. In the practice, people usually want to see him more than his MD partner.
It's all good. In the end, how you will practice as a clinician will be mostly up to you. So, I wouldn't get bogged down in alphabet behind a name. It's silly.

Reactions: 1 user
I got 32 (9/14/9) on the Sept 6th MCAT. As my name implies I am a career changer.

Should I retake in Jan 2015? I got 10+ consistently on the science sections in practice and my BCPM gpa is above around a 3.6....
Dude(tte), you are suffering from a serious lack of perspective. You scored in the top quartile of all test-takers nationally, and you're wondering if you should retake? The answer is no, you'd be a d*** fool to retake a 32, especially with a competitive GPA. You may or may not get accepted to med school, but if you don't get in on your first try, it sure as heck won't be because your MCAT score was too low.

Reactions: 6 users
Unless you were averaging (or can bring yourself to averaging) >11 on practice tests, you risk getting a lower score, which will definitely hurt your app.

You should be good for a handful of MD programs and all DO programs. Judging from your post history, you are from California. Had you been a resident of any other state, you probably would have been good at most state schools as well.

I am definitely applying DO and hope my career changer status will be a plus. The more I look into DO programs the more I like them!

Bear in mind that med school is not your career. Look at places that will help you where you want to be down the road. If it's DO that's fine, but don't get sold on the "friendly to career changers" stuff and ignore the "harder to match into certain fields" stuff. You have a 32 for g$Ds sake. Most allo schools will deem that score adequate.

And don't you dare retake hoping to change 9s to 10s. Odds are you'll end up with a lower score or an 8 in something and have made things harder on yourself. And even if you brought it up to a balanced 33, some places would consider it a red flag that you deemed it necessary to retake from a 32.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am definitely applying DO and hope my career changer status will be a plus. The more I look into DO programs the more I like them!

Oh, well that's great. There are only 2 Osteopathic medical schools divided over two states in my area. All the other med schools are allopathic. Since I want to stay local, I will need to apply to allopathic schools as well. I'd be happy either way. Would move out of state, but my husband and family would have a slight problem with that. That's why it's taking me forever to get all my ducks in a row--b/c I need to try to be as competitive as I can be given my geographical needs. If I had to apply beyond my region, I could; but it would be a serious strain. Plus, I have sick family members that I keep an eye on as well.

Good luck with your applications.

Dude(tte), you are suffering from a serious lack of perspective. You scored in the top quartile of all test-takers nationally, and you're wondering if you should retake? The answer is no, you'd be a d*** fool to retake a 32, especially with a competitive GPA. You may or may not get accepted to med school, but if you don't get in on your first try, it sure as heck won't be because your MCAT score was too low.

Understandable, but if all things are not equally strong or at least strong enough in the person's application, someone could look at the science scores and say, "Hmmm, I don't know. . ." And of course, it depends upon the competition for application to the particular schools. When enrollment and the numbers associated are way up, being at the top quartile may not necessarily make a difference--especially if science numbers are just above the cut-off.

Don't get me wrong. I think the OP should definitely apply to med schools. But if he/she doesn't get in, yes. Maybe re-taking the MCAT might be one thing to consider--depending upon where the OP wants to attend--and if the OP does indeed include DO schools.