DO 32 on MCAT - 2.95 cGPA - Only applied to D.O schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrillyBassily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
5th year at a Canadian University.

Science GPA is 2.75

Non-science GPA is 3.3

Cumulative GPA is 2.95

I'm a molecular biology major at a Canadian University with a psychology minor.

My MCAT score is 32 (11 PS/ 10 VR/ 11 BS)

Extracurriculars include two hospital internships.; one in which I worked at a children's hospital assisting two nephrologists with a study on hypertension in obese children, another where I assisted an oncologist with creating a testicular Cancer database. These all took place over the summer months and so never lasted longer than 16 weeks.

Lots of club membership in school, I'm the exec of a club called the rare genomics institute which strives to raise money for families of children with rare genetic disorders so that their DNA can be sequenced to assist in diagnosis.

I'd say my EC's are about average.

In my personal statement for my application I discussed my specialty of intersts which is psychiatry (note the psychology minor). Not sure how much of an impact that makes in your personal statement though. There was no where else on the primary application to list a desired specialty, I've yet to receive any secondaries though, I've only submitted my primary last week.

3 Letters of Recommendation (yet to be submitted of course). 2 from professors and 1 from a doctor I worked with who is an MD.

No immediate family in medicine either as MDs or DOs.

My first year and a half at school was very rough. Grades were horrendous which explains my low GPA. I've repeated some classes and done much better. My more recent grades from the past two years are higher. I still have two physics courses that I'm doing this semester and next semester and so I don't have the grades for them back yet. I took them in my first year and got a D and an F. This time around I intend on getting much higher grades.

I'm a permanent resident of the United States (my parents both live and work in California and have done so for the past 6 years) and I applied to some of the easier DO schools to get into. 14 schools in total:

All schools are Osteopathic D.O schools:

1. Touro - California
  2. Philadelphia
  3. Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences
  4. Lake Erie (Pennsylvania)
  5. Lake Erie (Florida)
  6. AT Still Arizona
  7. Edward Via South Carolina campus
  8. Edward Via Virginia campus
  9. New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology
  10. University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
  11. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)
  12. Des Moines University
  13. Lincoln Memorial College of Osteopathic medicine
  14. Alabama COM

Members don't see this ad.

10-20%. That GPA is just an app killer. Most places have hard screens for 3.0-3.2, so they'll never even see your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
10-20%. That GPA is just an app killer. Most places have hard screens for 3.0-3.2, so they'll never even see your app.

I tried avoiding all schools like that and so I contacted each of the 14 schools I applied to and so none of these D.O schools screen anyone out based on GPA. Assuming that my app is seen by all of these schools, then what are my chances?

Concur. You have shown no evidence that you can survive a med school curriculum. That, plus being a Canadian citizen, makes me suggest that you either get a SMP or post-bac, or consider other careers.

5th year at a Canadian University.

Science GPA is 2.75

Non-science GPA is 3.3

Cumulative GPA is 2.95

I'm a molecular biology major at a Canadian University with a psychology minor.

My MCAT score is 32 (11 PS/ 10 VR/ 11 BS)

Extracurriculars include two hospital internships.; one in which I worked at a children's hospital assisting two nephrologists with a study on hypertension in obese children, another where I assisted an oncologist with creating a testicular Cancer database. These all took place over the summer months and so never lasted longer than 16 weeks.

Lots of club membership in school, I'm the exec of a club called the rare genomics institute which strives to raise money for families of children with rare genetic disorders so that their DNA can be sequenced to assist in diagnosis.

I'd say my EC's are about average.

In my personal statement for my application I discussed my specialty of intersts which is psychiatry (note the psychology minor). Not sure how much of an impact that makes in your personal statement though. There was no where else on the primary application to list a desired specialty, I've yet to receive any secondaries though, I've only submitted my primary last week.

3 Letters of Recommendation (yet to be submitted of course). 2 from professors and 1 from a doctor I worked with who is an MD.

No immediate family in medicine either as MDs or DOs.

My first year and a half at school was very rough. Grades were horrendous which explains my low GPA. I've repeated some classes and done much better. My more recent grades from the past two years are higher. I still have two physics courses that I'm doing this semester and next semester and so I don't have the grades for them back yet. I took them in my first year and got a D and an F. This time around I intend on getting much higher grades.

I'm a permanent resident of the United States (my parents both live and work in California and have done so for the past 6 years) and I applied to some of the easier DO schools to get into. 14 schools in total:

All schools are Osteopathic D.O schools:

1. Touro - California
  2. Philadelphia
  3. Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences
  4. Lake Erie (Pennsylvania)
  5. Lake Erie (Florida)
  6. AT Still Arizona
  7. Edward Via South Carolina campus
  8. Edward Via Virginia campus
  9. New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology
  10. University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
  11. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)
  12. Des Moines University
  13. Lincoln Memorial College of Osteopathic medicine
  14. Alabama COM

also try Touro-NY (Middletown campus). You will be screened out from a number of your schools, but might stand a chance at the ones that don't.

Last edited:
Agree with the others on here. Your chances are slim as it stands. However, it sounds like you're in the process of re-taking some C/D/F coursework? That could help you significantly. If you can somehow get boosted up to a ~3.25+cGPA, I'd be much more optimistic about your chances.

Last edited: