32K - Writing Sample Rescore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjmiles23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my scores today from the August 22 test. While I was pleased to see PS 11 VR 9 BS 12, I was shocked to discover WS K. From what I recall about test day, there is no way I should fall in the 1.1 - 3.8 percentile range.

I am wondering if anyone has had success having their writing sample rescored. I know that admissions don't put too much consideration into the WS, but as a native English speaker, I personally find K to be unacceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

I would do it. Cant really go down, you know? Different graders may give you 1-2 extra points total (2 essays, 2 graders each, 6 points per = 24 points total for both essays) could bump you from a K to L/M perhaps. Maybe more, who knows.

The writing score typically doesn't matter for US schools, but a K is particularly low. I think it would be a drawback even for US schools. You might want to consider it having it re-scored.

Definitely re-score.

I personally find the writing sample to be ridiculous. The one thing I've consistently been complemented on by all of my professors throughout my college education has been my writing abilities and I received an "O". Then I have a friend who has difficulties communicating himself via a written medium in English because its a language he has recently learned and it has held him back in some of this courses, but he somehow managed an R.

My hypothesis: human writer and computer scorer don't given the same grade. Human writer decides he/she doesn't want to be inconvenienced and goes with the computer grade, which probably has a hard time following a non-standard essay framework. (At least that's what I tell myself :p)

Members don't see this ad :)
Definately get it regraded. I remember reading in a post about someone on here who had it regraded and had it go up a couple of letters....

Hi all,

I got my rescore results today, and I went up to an L. Do you think 32L is competitive, or should I retest this spring?

So I had a similar question...I received a M on the writing part and was thinking of getting it rescored. How do you go about this and is there a chance that yoour regrade can go down rather than improve? Is there a cost for the regrade>? thanks.

Hi all,

I got my rescore results today, and I went up to an L. Do you think 32L is competitive, or should I retest this spring?

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. I think that an L looks infinitely better than "K" even though it's still very, very low. In general, the writing sample is not looked at very seriously, so an L will almost for sure be fine for you, especially if everything else in your app is OK. If you write your secondaries and personal statement well, it will allay fears about your MCAT writing score. GL.

Last edited:
So I had a similar question...I received a M on the writing part and was thinking of getting it rescored. How do you go about this and is there a chance that yoour regrade can go down rather than improve? Is there a cost for the regrade>? thanks.

The procedure for this is on the AAMC MCAT website at www.aamc.org/mcat. I don't know exactly where it is, but a very small amount of snooping should be all you need to find it.

As to the other two questions:
Yes, there is a chance your grade could go down
Yes, there is a fee, (see website).