32Q, 3.37 cGPA, 3.32 sGPA, with an MPH REAPPLICANT... chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AD28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hello all,

long time reader, first time poster.

as you can tell from my gpa, i didn't take my studies very seriously during undergrad, so after failing to get into med schools the first time, i went to columbia university where i got my master's in public health, concentrating in health policy and management. on top of the standard public health courses (epidemiology, environmental health sciences, biostatistics, etc.) i took a fair number of MBA type classes because they were interesting and practical, but in hindsight i probably should have done an epidemiology track. my graduate gpa was 3.53.

i think i've got pretty decent EC's - did a year of research during undergrad, was an executive officer in a student group for 3 years, worked as an administrative intern at a hospital for a summer, currently working as a data analyst at a health care quality review company and doing research (mainly concerning menopause and alzheimer's) with a doctor on the side.

i've finished applying to med schools for fall 2010 and i haven't heard back from any schools and i'm starting to get worried. i applied to a wide range of schools: UCLA, Mt. Sinai, Temple, Vermont, Loma Linda, USC, Miami, and all the state schools for NY (im a ny resident), NYU, Einstein, Rochester, Drexel, Penn State, BU, Tufts, and Robert Wood Johnson. Most of my apps were completed around 9/10-9/15, except for Miami, Vermont, and UCLA, which i applied to later.

My top choices are UCLA and Mt. Sinai, but they're longshots at best. Any feedback on my chances at getting an interview (an acceptance) from any of the other schools at this point in time would be great.

Thanks!
You have a decent chance... Just relax because interviews are the way from your state schools. The out-of-state schools are a little bit out of reach due to your uGPA. However, if you dont get in this cycle, add some DO schools to your list if you dont mind being a DO. You will be very competitive for DO schools. Again, you will be able to practice medicine. Good luck...

Ur stats are very similar to mine, so I think you will hear back from a few schools (especially NY schools as that state tends to be more forgiving....)

You sound like a good applicant to me. Good luck!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
-

Last edited:
If you dont get in this year, then work on the GPA and try to get it above a 3.5. Dont go DO just to get in because sounds like would regret it. I knew I could get in them too but did not even consider it. I wanted US MD and got it!!

Overall, I think you are solid and will get in eventually. Might just have to repair that undergrad GPA....for next cycle.

I'm rooting for you AD, my stats are pretty similar. 34O, 3.3, SMP currently. Let me know how you do!!

If you dont get in this year, then work on the GPA and try to get it above a 3.5. Dont go DO just to get in because sounds like would regret it. I knew I could get in them too but did not even consider it. I wanted US MD and got it!!

Overall, I think you are solid and will get in eventually. Might just have to repair that undergrad GPA....for next cycle.

when you say repair that undergrad GPA do you mean go back to college and retake the prereqs? or something like a postbacc?