32Q MCAT for engineer-turned-medical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wasabid

Super Duper
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my MCAT scores back, 32Q
12 physical sci
11 verbal
9 bio sci

Mechanical engineering degree from Arizona State in 2006, graduated with 3.44GPA from the honors college, including completion of an honors thesis.

Been out of school 4 years, worked for two major companies, volunteer experience at Texas Children's Hospital for two years, but most of my clinical experience has unfortunately been firsthand (lymphoma survivor as of two years ago, was the catalyst for the career change).

What do you think my options are?

Members don't see this ad.

With the lowish cGPA, your chances for allopathic med schools may rest on your year-by-year grade trend in undergrad, BCPM GPA, and more recent postbac classes and how you performed there. Your nontraditional age will help you, as will your presumed rich life experience since graduating. It helps to have shadowing, teaching, leadership, nonmedical community service, and research (even if nonscience) on your application. Your clinical experience sounds fine.

With the appropriate experiences, you also have the option of applying to DO medical schools, beyond TCOM (I'm assuming you're a legal resident of Texas now), to improve your chances of an acceptance somewhere (AZCOM comes to mind).