$33,000 formal post bacc or cheaper SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotinhere38

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be beneficial to attend Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine's (VCOM) new post bacc program which is linked with its medical school or a much cheaper alternative that is closer to home? The alternative is a SMP which is roughly half the cost of the money VCOM wants but it is not linked with any med schools..:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

What's your undergrad stats like? If you have decent numbers, but no/little science experience the local school will probably be fine. I had to go back to do some prerequisites, and I went to the local university with an unofficial postbac. I was accepted to the two state schools I applied to. However, if your numbers are bad, I may consider the school linked program. It is always easier for them to accept a known student (assuming they see you working your butt off and doing well). Maybe someone else can comment on WVCOM's program. If they have a history of taking most of their postbacc students, it may be a better option.

Is VCOM your top choice school? If you are set on DO schools, they are a little more forgiving with numbers, so I feel like you would have more of a "choice." So, if you aren't too stoked on living in VA, and are set on DO schools, I would prob do the cheaper one. If VCOM is your top choice, then go for it, it's an investment in peace of mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad gpa was 3.54 but I also have a master's degree in biochemistry with a 3.8 gpa..I will be taking the MCAT again in a couple of weeks but I have to decide on which program soon though..VCOM is one of my top choices but it is just so expensive...:confused:

My undergrad gpa was 3.54 but I also have a master's degree in biochemistry with a 3.8 gpa..I will be taking the MCAT again in a couple of weeks but I have to decide on which program soon though..VCOM is one of my top choices but it is just so expensive...:confused:

what was your first mcat score?

22 N.. I know thats bad but I have been scoring much higher on my current practice tests..

Dude, with that GPA, you will have your choice of DO schools. I wouldn't even suggest more post-bacc classes. What does your resume look like? (IE extra currics) Have you considered applying early admission?

you don't need a SMP at all, just a better MCAT score.

I would recommend against an SMP for your situation. SMPs are generally for those with solid MCAT scores but low GPAs. They have something to prove.

All you really need to do is get a better MCAT score. If you manage to do that and perform poorly in a post-bac/SMP, you could end up shooting yourself in the foot. Focus on the MCAT.

MCAT studying is pretty intense right now..but my reason for attending the post bacc is that I would be able to take med school like classes in the gap year that is coming up so I would have an easier transition for fall 2010..

Thats not a reasonable justification to spend $33000+. You are a good student, you can handle it.:thumbup:

MCAT studying is pretty intense right now..but my reason for attending the post bacc is that I would be able to take med school like classes in the gap year that is coming up so I would have an easier transition for fall 2010..

not a good idea... I'd pick something useful, profitable, or fun to do instead.

OP, our stats were almost identical minus your original MCAT score, and like you, I thought attending the SMP and taking the medschool level courses would be a productive way of spending my 'glide year.' I advice is to listen to everyone else on this thread and do something else. Not only are there better ways to spend $30+K, but you could potentially end up doing worse, especially if you are interviewing at a lot of schools in the fall. This is what happened to me, and doing worse in the SMP compared to my undergrad is what got me WL at several schools and probably outright rejected at others. I would definitely focus on the MCAT retake and perhaps keeping up with your clinical activities instead. OR if you are set on doing more school, consider a 1 year master's in something interesting that is not a formal post-bacc/SMP, although it may be getting close to the application deadlines.

Thanks guys..I think I will take everyone's advice and just improve my MCAT..for my gap year I guess I will find a job somewhere and do volunteer work..:thumbup:

I have been admitted to this same post bacc as well, my background is similar to yours but my stats are not that great..I got a low MCAT score so I think I might make the investment..

Thanks guys..I think I will take everyone's advice and just improve my MCAT..for my gap year I guess I will find a job somewhere and do volunteer work..
Just a suggestion, if you're bored a 1 year MPH can also be a good idea.

I have been admitted to this same post bacc as well, my background is similar to yours but my stats are not that great..I got a low MCAT score so I think I might make the investment..

People! A low MCAT score is not fixed in an SMP! I repeat, a low MCAT score is not fixed in an SMP!

When an adcom looks at a low MCAT score, they're thinking USMLE/COMLEX. They're looking at the only data on your standardized test taking ability, and they're not feeling confident. How does an SMP give them more confidence that you can go to day-long standardized exams, which are MUCH harder than the MCAT, and not embarrass the school? Answer: it doesn't.

How does a low MCAT score give YOU confidence that you're ready for the USMLE/COMLEX?

Do you realize that a prep course for the MCAT costs about $1500, and an SMP costs at least $35,000? You could pay an MCAT tutor to live with you for less than the cost of an SMP.

// grumpy out