33, bipolar 1 with psychotic features, lawyer interested in going back to school to research mania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakoby

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering what the move is if I would like to be in a position to work directly on experiments to prevent my manic episodes without the aid of drugs like lithium. I wish there was just a facility I could make a living showing up to everyday and having tests done on myself, but seeing as that doesn’t exist, I’d like to figure out the best way to get in the game. Is it Med school? Doing a PhD and becoming some biomedical researcher?

Members don't see this ad.

If you solely want to do research, I'd go the PhD route. You'll get years of training and lots of opportunities for coursework and mentorship in research methods and statistical methods. Either way you pick, are you ok with 6-8 years of little to no income and possible loans?

Reactions: 1 user
If I understand correctly, your goal is to conduct research upon yourself? That is a movie script, not life. Ethical and valid research would prohibit such a thing.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m wondering what the move is if I would like to be in a position to work directly on experiments to prevent my manic episodes without the aid of drugs like lithium. I wish there was just a facility I could make a living showing up to everyday and having tests done on myself, but seeing as that doesn’t exist, I’d like to figure out the best way to get in the game. Is it Med school? Doing a PhD and becoming some biomedical researcher?
IRBs would not allow this, mad science is sort of frowned upon in academic circles and it's the opposite of a blinded study to do research on oneself.

If you want to do research on BPD in general, go the PhD route, medical school does not play well with BPD, and if you end up decompensating at some point in the training process it could spell the end of your career, depending on the severity of your episode and what occurs during it.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, Jeff Goldblum did it, it turned out pretty well for him, right?
I detect some sarcasm here. Goldblum's work is often criticized because of his unorthodox methods, but I would like to remind you that we would never have learned how to turn people into insects without it!

Last edited:
I was thinking there would be a situation where I'm working on manic episode prevention in general and then I would just test the methods on myself to see if they worked. That's basically what I've been doing the past 7 years, doing research and trying different things like naturopathy and CBD oil and unfortunately still having episodes.

Edit: It is a lot of work to go to school for 7 years for a PhD just to eff around in a lab trying to heal myself. I suppose I could do the same thing as a PA. Less school and just trial and error to prevent my episodes? What I wonder is if you have an episode as a PA, would they just admit you to a crisis center and allow you to come back to work, or would you be out of a job?

Last edited:
This is ridic and bordering on a TOS violation

We are not here for medical advice. Also, not relating to you specifically, but most doctors are hesistant and would be remiss, to encourage anyone with bipolar disorder to "experiment" on themselves, specifically in an attempt to control psychotic manic epsiodes without medication.

This doesn't sound like mad science, it sounds like malpractice and pure idiocy.

Not medical advice, just medical truth: psychosis and mania are not to be ****ed around with.

Go to school and learn how to do real science, for and on others, or leave it to the pros.

Reactions: 4 users
I was thinking there would be a situation where I'm working on manic episode prevention in general and then I would just test the methods on myself to see if they worked. That's basically what I've been doing the past 7 years, doing research and trying different things like naturopathy and CBD oil and unfortunately still having episodes.

Edit: It is a lot of work to go to school for 7 years for a PhD just to eff around in a lab trying to heal myself. I suppose I could do the same thing as a PA. Less school and just trial and error to prevent my episodes? What I wonder is if you have an episode as a PA, would they just admit you to a crisis center and allow you to come back to work, or would you be out of a job?
"The man who treats himself has a fool for a doctor" is a very old saying in medicine for a reason

Yeah, all jokes about outstanding scientists aside, experimenting with your own manic episodes is never a good idea. And, honestly, sounds like a patient who could benefit from existing meds if only he took them regularly; alas, he just happens to "not believe" in them. In fact, sounds like a somewhat grandiose idea of curing oneself on one's own without having any knowledge of medicine.

As to 7 years being too long to just "f around in the lab" - well, it takes time to accumulate knowledge and skills to do actual research vs. just "f around in the lab".

Finally, there is actually a legitimate way for you to participate in bipolar research as a subject. It's clinical trials. Check out if any of the academic medical centers around you are doing them and if you qualify for any of the ongoing studies. This is a real way for you to contribute to research.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to be intimately involved in research, I would recommend getting a PhD and forgetting about utilizing your own diagnosis. It’ll take a long time before you have the education to contribute.

If you want to be a participant, go sign up.

There is no cake and eating it too.

Given your brief story, it doesn't sound to me like you're actively interested in the process of going through 7-8 years of med school or grad school. I wouldn't recommend either of those routes to anyone who isn't firmly committed to seeing it through. A lot of time and efforts involved in each. Now, of course, if that's your passion, then go for it. But there are much easier and shorter ways to get involved if that's all you're looking for.

To anyone considering med school vs grad school now or in the future to do research: Do you want to be the one driving the ideas and spending much or all of your mental efforts coming up with ideas, staying on top or current knowledge and ongoing studies? If you don't need that position, then as others mentioned, clinical trials would be a great way to go. Or get your feet wet by working in a lab or research group that already studies mania. Most labs have teams of members involved in different angles of the process, and many of these positions do not require a terminal degree. At least a bachelors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.