kakalak

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm a Texas resident with pretty decent ec's(leadership, international medical missions, research), science and non-science gpas above a 3.75, and a MCAT score of 33. I got acceptances from a couple of state schools, but have received nothing from Baylor, Northwestern, Cornell, and the University of Chicago. Looking at MDapps it looks like the only thing im lacking is 2 or so points on the MCAT, which comes down to less than 5 questions. Did one or two points really do me in for top tier schools? Thanks for your input ahead of time

theroadtomed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
It's really hard to say, but overall top schools are "a crapshoot." Your gpa is only average for top schools, with a below average mcat score. Depending on your other extracurriculars (are they average or better than average?), you may or may not have a shot.

WolverineDoc13

Good Times in the Midwest
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I doubt it. How is your verbal score? That plays a huge factor.
That score does so many med students in. It's not even funny. Also, how is your personal statement? I think many ppl overlook how important it is.

Would I would do is e-mail/call/write these schools and express your interest. It can draw more attention to your application.

good luck!

About the Ads

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree with the others. When you get to the top schools, there is an element of luck I hear. Maybe it is the 33 MCAT; maybe it is not.

Just be glad you have some acceptance letters. Some never even get that.

About the Ads