33Q, 3.8 GPA little research, LOTS of volunteer, LOTS of clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goducks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.8 GPA, 33Q MCAT

Volunteer work: work at an AIDS center, over 600 Hours as registered EMT on campus, Medical Brigades, several philanthropic clubs

Clinical Work: shadowing midwife and primary care physicians, working for 3 summers as radiologist assistant/ecg tech

Research:nothing. I will be doing independent psychology research this year and will be graduating early to do research before med school. possible problem?

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

State of residence? Are you looking for advice on schools to apply to? What is your MCAT score breakdown? Science GPA?

I would be careful about using your midwife experience as 'shadowing'. Might be looked down upon.

Research isn't required, and in fact 40% of those applying don't have it listed. Of those listing it, it can vary from three months to many years. If you aspire to attend a research-strong school, you'll need to have completed a fair amount before you apply. Otherwise, if you begin the research you have planned before submitting your application, you can list it. Then update schools through the application year that you're still involved. At schools with less research focus, your very-strong clinical experience will stand out and compensate.

I agree that midwife shadowing shouldn't be listed as "shadowing". Instead, if it was motivating, maybe discuss it in the Primary or on a Secondary essay. (Yeah, I know, seeing babies born is pretty cool.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Research isn't required, and in fact 40% of those applying don't have it listed. Of those listing it, it can vary from three months to many years. If you aspire to attend a research-strong school, you'll need to have completed a fair amount before you apply. Otherwise, if you begin the research you have planned before submitting your application, you can list it. Then update schools through the application year that you're still involved. At schools with less research focus, your very-strong clinical experience will stand out and compensate.

I agree that midwife shadowing shouldn't be listed as "shadowing". Instead, if it was motivating, maybe discuss it in the Primary or on a Secondary essay. (Yeah, I know, seeing babies born is pretty cool.)

hahaha

Alright thanks. I'm an oregon resident. I am hoping to get into OHSU, but I am applying right out of college and I have heard that they often want older applicants.
My science GPA is 3.7. My MCAT breakdown is VR-10 PS-11 BS-12
Here's the list of schools I'm applying to:
OHSU, usc, stanford, medical college of wisconsin, creighton, Rush, loyola chicago, northwestern, temple, dartmouth, georgetown, george washington, tulane, tufts, bu, and uvm

I go to a jesuit university now, which I've heard will help me when jesuit med schools are considering me. Is this true?

I don't know. Does your pre-med advisor have anything to say about it? I'd add St Louis U, as I believe they're Jesuit-based also.

Alright thanks. I'm an oregon resident. I am hoping to get into OHSU, but I am applying right out of college and I have heard that they often want older applicants.
My science GPA is 3.7. My MCAT breakdown is VR-10 PS-11 BS-12
Here's the list of schools I'm applying to:
OHSU, usc, stanford, medical college of wisconsin, creighton, Rush, loyola chicago, northwestern, temple, dartmouth, georgetown, george washington, tulane, tufts, bu, and uvm

I go to a jesuit university now, which I've heard will help me when jesuit med schools are considering me. Is this true?

I think you have no shot at BU and Northwestern, just my opinion.