34 MCAT/ 3.9 GPA low verbal of 7 chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OcFdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got 14 in physical, 13 bio, 7 verbal and Q in writing. I have clinical experience and research experience. I have 3.97 gpa at a UC. What are my chances of getting into a california score with that low verbal score? What are my chances of getting into any US Med school?

I am currently a 3rd year and am going to apply in the summer. Should I retake the Mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa that is a lopsided score but the 34 overall is still really strong...

Members don't see this ad :)
Only you can figure out if a new MCAT score is needed, but consider this:

All schools have minimum requirement to get into their programs. Some look at the overall MCAT score and GPA, but some also look at MCAT subscores and have minimums for each of those.

I know that my institution will mark for screening and usually reject anyone with an MCAT score of 7 or less in any of the sections. However, there are programs where this is less important.

The real challenge is getting passed their numerical computer screening. The problem with a subscore of 7 is that your application may be rejected by a computer before any human eyes actually see your application. You may want to consider casting a broader net during the application process.

Only you can figure out if a new MCAT score is needed, but consider this:

All schools have minimum requirement to get into their programs. Some look at the overall MCAT score and GPA, but some also look at MCAT subscores and have minimums for each of those.

I know that my institution will mark for screening and usually reject anyone with an MCAT score of 7 or less in any of the sections. However, there are programs where this is less important.

The real challenge is getting passed their numerical computer screening. The problem with a subscore of 7 is that your application may be rejected by a computer before any human eyes actually see your application. You may want to consider casting a broader net during the application process.

This. Also, have you taken more than just the required English courses at your school? If your MCAT was able to get past the computer, you would probably need this to help demonstrate your English ability.

I think it might be easier to just retake the MCAT and hit your verbal practice really really hard this time. A score of 10 would be a good goal.

Try calling schools that you were planning on applying to (or email them) to see what they think. But I've heard a lot of people say that 8 is the bottom-acceptable score in any section for most schools.

Last edited:
I wouldn't retake a 34 with a 3.9 gpa. if by under 7 do you mean 6? if its lower than that i feel like you can guess and a 4 or 5 lol

There are schools with a bottom 10th percentile for verbal of 7. Get an MSAR and see which they are. If English is your second language, other schools may give you a shot too, but if the short list of schools with a VS of 7 or lower isn't where you want to go, and English is your primary language, you will want to retake.

i got 14 in physical, 13 bio, 7 verbal and Q in writing. I have clinical experience and research experience. I have 3.97 gpa at a UC. What are my chances of getting into a california score with that low verbal score? What are my chances of getting into any US Med school?

I am currently a 3rd year and am going to apply in the summer. Should I retake the Mcat?

Don't retake. I had a meh verbal and I'm fine. Your overall score is too good. No one cares that much about the verbal (despite what people say).

I'm a Cali guy too. Focus on your EC's. Those are the MOST important. Write a strong PS/Secondaries and get good LOR, and you should be good. Good luck

Don't retake. I had a meh verbal and I'm fine. Your overall score is too good. No one cares that much about the verbal (despite what people say).

I'm a Cali guy too. Focus on your EC's. Those are the MOST important. Write a strong PS/Secondaries and get good LOR, and you should be good. Good luck

As I stated earlier, many schools have a computerized cut-off for MCAT score subdivisions as well as for the overall score, so a 7 could put you in the automatic reject pile. alibai3ah can say no one cares about the verbal score, but there are computer screening methods out there that will flag your application, possibly for auto rejection, despite what alibai3ah says.

I am a senior medical student who interviews for the admissions committee at my school and I am familiar with their screening process.

Hey guys, I'm an emergency medicine intern. I think your chances are great... premed students tend to nitpick their app in every small way possible. I agree that your one worry *may* be getting screened via a cutoff value, but aside from that you need to realize that the rest of your application is the most important part by far. Your scores are just fine and will get you a respectable look from almost any admissions committee member.

http://www.agraphia.net/how-to-get-into-medical-school/

Give that link a shot, it talks about your application somewhat beyond the numbers. I think it's almost more important how you put your app together than how you scored.

Wow you have a 34 mcat and a near perfect GPA. If you have average ECs I don't think you will have a problem getting in somewhere. 34 is a huge score even though it is unbalanced. If I had your numbers I would have applied to Harvard.

if you have high expectations for where you want to go to medical school (Tier 1 schools), you need to retake the MCAT. It is very rare top 15 school is going to take someone with a 7 on verbal. If you want to go to your public, the 34 you have should be good enough, but those schools may even be disuaded by the 7. Moral of the story: You seem too smart to have such a huge tarnish on your application. I think you need to study hard and retake.

For comparison:

3.9 GPA
29Q (12 PS, 10 BS, 7 VR)

Offered 9 interviews and 3 acceptances so far.

If you have good EC's, LOR's, etc. you should be fine with your stats. Once you get your interviews, be honest, be authentic, and smile!

I have a friend in the same boat, 33 MCAT but a 7 Verbal. This person has recieved interviews at UCSD, Northwestern, and Georgetown. I will warn you though, that the 7 in Verbal did hold her back, as she didn't get some screened secondaries from the UCs. Will you get into a UC? Its a toss up, will you get in somewhere? probably.

You should be fine IF you have excellent ECs and recs. Oh, and an 8 VR is a cutoff at some medical schools. I advise emailing them and asking what their cutoff is to save you $$. ;) Best of luck to you in all you accomplish.

Q in writing means you aren't completely horrible at English.

If you think you can remember the stupid BCMP stuff and maintain 14/13/x, retake the MCAT. For me, verbal is completely easy and BCMP requires a refreshment every time I look at the stupid test.

The 3.9 GPA says you'll probably get into a school, somewhere, anywhere.

You should be fine IF you have excellent ECs and recs. Oh, and an 8 VR is a cutoff at some medical schools. I advise emailing them and asking what their cutoff is to save you $$. ;) Best of luck to you in all you accomplish.

I agree with this advice. I know of a couple schools that have cutoffs for individual sections of the exam. Just make sure these aren't on your list so you don't waste money.

So 7 is going to mess up my chances in getting into a good med school and basically I should just suck it up and study for the verbal?

Thanks for the advice people.

I forgot to mention I work in a hospital as a doctor's scribe (past year). I research in (over a yr and still going, might publish but most likely after i turn in my apps my PI said in the letter of Rec she would say I'm about to publish). I worked and volunteered my first year in college. I got good letters. And I'm a double major chemistry and biology.

The 7 is the flaw, in my English classes I have gotten A-'s and writing classes I have gotten A's. English is my first language so no excuse there, My SATs for verbal were horrible too, yet I managed to do well at a UC.

Any advise on what I should do for verbal? I think I am going to try to retake in May probably closer to the end of May and probably take a really light quarter classes wise.

Last edited:
Would you mind sharing your list of schools? Might help solidify whether or not you have a shot...

UCI
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
Loma Linda
USC
UC Davis
Georgetown
George Washington
Columbia

Haven't figure out the rest yet