34 mcat 4.0 gpa med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pillowfight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are an overall competitive applicant, so don't waste your time apply to ED program...because if you get rejected, you will be pretty late in the game for other schools.

Are you applying this cycle? If so, get your application together and submit it. Do not do EDP. Your undergrad institution means a lot less than you seem to think it does.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are within the parameters for UCinn and even Case MD matriculants, and have the expected intensity of research experience, with leadership as well. Hopefully, your clinical experience and shadowing are also good. Certainly, you have a good chance at these research intense schools if anyone could. But apply widely anyway, because nothing is certain in the med school application process. I can't comment on the MSTP component.

i really don't think the undergraduate school you come from matters that much in med school admission. i had similar situation and i consulted a lot of knowledgeable people and they all seem to agree that if you excel in whatever school you come from, in this case you did, then it shouldn't matter where you come from when they make the decision. but again, undergraduate college is indeed a factor in the admission process, its just not as important as people usually think it is.

As others here have said, your undergrad doesn't matter too much as long as you did well there.

The rule of thumb is that people who went to high powered undergrads have a small amount of leniency when it comes to their grades but not more than .1 GPA if even that much. However, there are some med schools (particularly ivies) that greatly prefer students who come from renowned undergrads. Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UPenn, and Yale come to mind as examples. If you're not dying to get into those schools though, you shouldn't worry about it.