34S MCAT, 3.96 GPA, Illinois Resident... Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biorules88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where this thread should go... But for those who've applied, what schools do you think I should apply to and a chance of getting in to? I know my GPA is high: 3.96, but my MCAT is weaker: 11 BS, 12 PS, 11 VS, S. I go to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, I am a molecular cellular biology major and a business minor. I have done microbio research for two years, shadowing, and I'm teaching the MCAT for kaplan... plus a few other clubs/ECs

The stats from 2007 have absolutely scared me!!! and I'm not sure where I should apply to, or if i should invest time in retaking my mcat. Any advice on where to apply would be greatly welcome. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where this thread should go... But for those who've applied, what schools do you think I should apply to and a chance of getting in to? I know my GPA is high: 3.96, but my MCAT is weaker: 11 BS, 12 PS, 11 VS, S. I go to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, I am a molecular cellular biology major and a business minor. I have done microbio research for two years, shadowing, and I'm teaching the MCAT for kaplan... plus a few other clubs/ECs

The stats from 2007 have absolutely scared me!!! and I'm not sure where I should apply to, or if i should invest time in retaking my mcat. Any advice on where to apply would be greatly welcome. Thanks!

You have wonderful stats and shouldn't worry at all about your MCAT...if I were you, I wouldn't retake. You're a great applicant for competitive schools (Stanford, UCSF, etc.) and will likely get into one if you apply to enough of them but like everyone says, applying to some safety school is always a good idea. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are fine, but you don't mention community service and clinical experience. If you don't have those already, you're going to have a problem getting an acceptance despite your very nice stats and above average research. If you forgot to mention them, could you give us some details? Also, any leadership roles?

hey!! thanks for the feedback so far... in terms of volunteering, I was a member of a volunteer organization at my school since freshman year, and volunteered at various events throughout the year. in terms of leadership, i helped start up a chapter of Phi Delta Epsilon at UIUC, it's a pre-medical fraternity... however I did not hold a position, just helped make it become a charter and a chapter. Clinical-wise, I spent my winter break abroad shadowing a hospital Intensive Care Unit. Hope that's detailed enough! thanks again.

i dont mean to offend you OP, but this thread seems a little ridiculous to me. you seem like an amazing applicant and should apply where-ever your heart desires. assuming you write a reasonable personal statement and get good LORs, you should be a shoe-in at uic (and siu if you are from central or southern illinois) and have a solid chance at the state's more selective schools like univ. of chicago and northwestern. im not as familiar with out-of-state schools, but i would imagine you could find a few that would accept you as well.

the only thing i can say now is don't get cocky - apply early and be sure to choose some "fall-back" programs. good luck and go illini.

OP, I think you need to be concerned about a lack of clinical experience and shadowing of US physicians. UIC seems to expect these, though SIU might be more lenient (but if your parents live in Naperville, you don't have much chance there). The research, leadership, and community service are fine. Could you elaborate further on your overseas shadowing, ie length of time, what you did and saw? Did you ever hold a job where you had face-to-face personal interaction with patients?

hey. thanks again for the feedback! I haven't had much opportunity for extensive clinical experience... one thing I'm definitely worried about. but here's more detail:

Winter break soph yr: shadowed a OBGYN for 1 week. Followed him around, observed patient interaction, sat in on a few surgeries.

Winter break junior yr: shadowed 3 weeks in a hospital abroad. I spent most of the time in the intensive care unit. I went on morning rounds with the ICO head/other doctors/residents every morning, first we'd go through all the ICO patients (usually about 5-7) and then go through the general wards... that usually took about 2-3 hours. We'd see the same patients everyday so it was good for continuity... Afterwards in the afternoon I'd shadow different depts (GI, ENT, hemat). I know it's not too extensive, and there isn't much local-wise but I'm hoping I have enough to go with...

I'd suggest you might want to work on gaining local clinical experience, ideally starting before you apply so you can include it on the application, then continuing through the application year, in case you end up needing to apply again next year. It will be good to include updates on this in "Update Letters" through the season. Your exposure to a medical environment, though interesting, seems sparse relatively speaking.