Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Guys. I just joined SDN and it seems like a very interesting forum !

I'm a fourth year (graduating) Biochemistry student at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver and a Syrian citizen (soon Canadian) doing my undergrad in Canada.

I applied to UBC this year but couldn't get in because I didn't include all my extra-curriculars on the application (they're fussy about EC's here, and applicants that rank below a certain EC cutoff are not granted an interview).

I interviewed at two other places this year, one in Canada (Dalhousie in Halifax - rejected post interview) and one in St. Louis (SLU - still awaiting decision). I have decided not to go to SLU though, regardless of the decision - didn't like the city too much. I was very surprised to get an interview at SLU considering I sumbitted my primary very close to the deadline and my secondery around January.

This summer I'm planning to boost my EC's by volunteering at a bunch of different places, Ecudaor possibly being one of them. I also plan to apply very early via AMCAS to 7-8 American schools. I was wondering if someone could help me pick out a reasonable list of schools for me to apply to. I'm trying to fish out the schools that are very good but not exactly top 10 (i.e. schools that are reputable but not Ivy league or crazy ones with crazy admissions averages). I also need a school that is willing to accept applicants from Canada (non US citizens/residents).

At the moment I have the following schools in mind: Darthmouth, Boston, Chicago (Top 10, I know), Jefferson, and that's about it. I would really appreciate if someone could help me expand the list. Here are my stats for the first 3 years. I'm expecting a bit of a GPA boost during my fourth (current year):

GPA:
BCPM 3.61 (two bad courses), AO 3.82, cGPA 3.67.

MCAT:
35Q - 14 P, 12 B, 9 V (that's the max verbal I could get since English is not my first language. I can communicate in English without a problem though and have almost no distinguishable accent).

EC's :

Hospital Receptionist (~ 2 months, Saudi Arabia), St. John Ambulance First Responder (200 + hours), stem cell conference co-oridinator (saudi arabia), Pediatric Neotologist Shadowing (~ 2 months) in Saudi Arabia, founder of Liver Club at my college, Captain of soccer team (4 years in a row), honorable mention at UBC Model United Nations conference (as a journalist), etc.. (misc volunteer activities)

Other stuff: Dean's Honor list (4 years in a row). Physics research experience during summer of second year. Currently doing a Honors Research course in Biochemistry that is open to ~10 students a year.

Please let me know about what schools are suitable for me (please give me specific names if it's not too much trouble).

Thanks in advance ! Good luck to everyone who is re-applying !

Grayfox

GiladJaffe

Removed
Mar 14, 2010
Status
Everything looks good. Just need to get some more EC. You need more shadowing and some lab work

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
American schools are more picky over ECs than Canadian ones. Or at least Ontario ones. Go to premed101.com for a school list.

Prtizker is also not top 10.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Without a substantive research experience, "top US schools" are iffy for you. I know shadowing isn't allowed in parts of Canada, so it's good you found a way around that. You've got some leadership, and the heavy sports involvement will help you. Some nonmedical volunteerism would have been good to see and the cGPA could be better for an international applicant.

Bannie applied from Canada and was successful getting into a US school. Look at his list on the MDapps link under his avatar.

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for all the helpful replies ! The problem with applying for next year is that the application opens in early June (as you all know) - there's not much room for research before submitting applications - although my Biochem Lab course included some research in it.

1. I will be doing a mix of medical (hospital)/non-medical (crisis center, kids camp) volunteering this summer. I hope that will boost my EC's a little bit, along with an executive position I held at Golden Key at my college throughout the year. Are there any last minute EC's that you advise me to look into before applying?

2. I looked at bannie22's profile (you're an inspriration to other applicants by the way) and it just seems to me that this might be more difficult that I anticipated. I still am having trouble picking a good list of schools. I could use ANY advice. please....

thanks

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Thank you. *happy smile*
You should see my hero video. Cat cat did you see it? haha.. :D

The lab course wouldnt count for much, but well, I guess you could always list it as research under one of your 15 activities?

Cat, does American schools accept that? Ontario ones dont, but I was saying to my other friend that I rather she not put a lab course down as research because it wasnt really honourable anyway since she was already getting course credit for it. But I guess, the application is never honourable as people exaggerate here and there anyway.

Regardless, not sure if your biochem thesis will count as "research".

I dont know what you are aiming for, but if you are not aiming top 20. You are safe.

Maybe put in some club activities I guess. if you want top 20. you probably wont get it because you dont have a pub and your GPA is low.

Pritzker also likes nontraditionals, so might wanna pick another top THIRTEEN to apply to. But if I were you, I would apply to all the top 20s. which was pretty much what I did. LOL.

premed101.com. a whole list. i am too lazy to recite.
slu wayne jeff wake?? upstate.

but for you, id be confident with the nyu, georgeporgey, casey westerny bostony... the midtiery schools

I also guess ur not going to WashU even if they accepted u... dont like the city much huh! :p

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
How about some quick leadership thing related to the St John's Ambulance Corps, maybe spearheading a fund raising effort for funds to buy needed equipment? Well, you get the idea. All leadership doen't have to be for a few years.

Consider Boston, Jeff, UVermont, Albany, Tulane, SUNY Upstate, Rosalind Franklin, EVMS, Penn State, Mt Sinai, Columbia, St Loius U, Wayne State, MSU. (Do some research on these.)

Responding to Bannie: The Honors Research Course can be listed under "Research", even though you're getting course credit for it (for US applications).

Did you produce that video, bannie? I liked it. Who was the model for the bannie22?

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys. I'm definitely reseraching some of the schools you suggestd. Boston would be nice. Do you think I have a chance at it? The problem with some of them is that they just don't accept non US citizens/residents.

@bannie22: what did you mean by georgeporgey? (couldn't figure out which school you meant exactly).

Also, you said "Pritzker also likes nontraditionals." Can you define "nontraditonal" for me and do you really think I have a chance for Chicago. I'm super interested in that school.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
How about some quick leadership thing related to the St John's Ambulance Corps, maybe spearheading a fund raising effort for funds to buy needed equipment? Well, you get the idea. All leadership doen't have to be for a few years.

Consider Boston, Jeff, UVermont, Albany, Tulane, SUNY Upstate, Rosalind Franklin, EVMS, Penn State, Mt Sinai, Columbia, St Loius U, Wayne State, MSU. (Do some research on these.)

Responding to Bannie: The Honors Research Course can be listed under "Research", even though you're getting course credit for it (for US applications).

Did you produce that video, bannie? I liked it. Who was the model for the bannie22?

They rejected me. I hate them!!!!

Heh cat, no, a member of sdn, just stole my pic from fb, and copy/pasted it into the video. looolz...
hehe thanks for liking it. i wish i actually produced it. now i think that wud get me into all schools :p

i like how i am so well known on sdn that i had a 2 week break and the thing that brings me back is a pm that asks for my permission to use my photo. looolz. hilarious.:laugh::love:

thanks cat for the tip. im gonna let me two friends know now.

LOL. I just noticed this. MODEL?

you are too nice cat. =)

Last edited:

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Thanks guys. I'm definitely reseraching some of the schools you suggestd. Boston would be nice. Do you think I have a chance at it? The problem with some of them is that they just don't accept non US citizens/residents.

@bannie22: what did you mean by georgeporgey? (couldn't figure out which school you meant exactly).

Also, you said "Pritzker also likes nontraditionals." Can you define "nontraditonal" for me and do you really think I have a chance for Chicago. I'm super interested in that school.

Schools we listed accepts international students. I think its up to you to do more research now... or like I said, be lazy, apply to top 20, and just randomly pick some schools outside it. (I used the LizzyM spreadsheet to pick the top 20 schools) big mistake! Vandy isnt high up there and I missed out on applying to vandi

No I think you have no chance at that school (chicago) :p But I'm just mean, curt, and straightforward.
BUT when i say no chance, i mean an insignificant chance.
AND its never 0. so u shud still apply.

i meant nontraditional as in older students, ppl who have been out in the working world and returned. (thats the aura i get from prtizker's class)

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Link the thread with bannie's Swedish film debut: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=712146
(if you wondered what we were talking about.) The link is in the first post.

I think he means Georgetown, which only took 2 internationals last year.

yea. i thought they were more int. friendly. screw them then:smuggrin:

my only knowledge of georgetown was from the movie
"the girl next door" starring elisha cuthbert *drools*

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I really don't want to apply for the heck of applying. I did that last year ( I applied late and to schools that were out of my reach) and ended up costing myself too much money.

Here's a question. Say I want to get into Boston (congrats bannie on getting in by the way). Would applying as an early decision applicant be advisable in my case? I'd be happy with going to Boston for school. Also, they have a great heart disease center.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Early decision, in general, isn't a good idea, because if they reject you in October, that would be very late to add on other schools, putting you in the same position as this year.

If you really want to do this, then after an October rejection, I would not apply to additional schools for the same cycle. I'd wait until the following year (2011) when you can add (ideally) another year of research, a year of nonmedical volunteering (3-4 hours per week), more clinical stuff, plus the summer activities you outlined above.

St Louis has a nice side and a seedy side, just like Boston. If you got an acceptance off the waitlist, I'd take it. If you wouldn't take it, then withdraw from consideration now, as gaining an acceptance and refusing it would be apparent to future schools using the AMCAS system, and it wouldn't look good.

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
^Yep.

Putting all eggz into one basketz is never good ideaz

zmb96c

7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Just out of curiosity, what did you dislike about St. Louis?

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Mainly the city (dead place). The whole place seemed empty. It's like having a university on mars