35 mcat, 3.8 gpa...school list help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theroadtomed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Like I said, I have a 35 mcat, with a 3.8 gpa (cum and math/science). I have a good bit of shadowing experience (around 60 hours over a few specialties), and what is probably a subpar amount of clinical volunteering. I have non-clinical volunteering as well. I also have a substantial amount of research over a three year period and have presented at a national conference and published a paper as first author. Would you guys please comment on my school list? Is it too many or too few, and are there any you would add or drop off? Thanks! (I'm a GA resident btw)

Case Western
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College of Georgia
Penn
University of Virginia
Wake Forest
Boston University
Mayo
U Southern California
Vanderbilt
Emory
Penn
Michigan
Stanford
Harvard
Baylor

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. Like I said, I have a 35 mcat, with a 3.8 gpa (cum and math/science). I have a good bit of shadowing experience (around 60 hours over a few specialties), and what is probably a subpar amount of clinical volunteering. I have non-clinical volunteering as well. I also have a substantial amount of research over a three year period and have presented at a national conference and published a paper as first author. Would you guys please comment on my school list? Is it too many or too few, and are there any you would add or drop off? Thanks! (I'm a GA resident btw)

Case Western
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College of Georgia
Penn
University of Virginia
Wake Forest
Boston University
Mayo
U Southern California
Vanderbilt
Emory

Penn
Michigan
Stanford
Harvard
Baylor

I only see MCG and RF as your theoretical "safeties." This is risky business. I have arbitrarily picked a part of your list and bolded it. I would replace all of those (or that many schools) with something a little safer, such as GW. Just an idea.

As far as whether you actually have a shot at the schools in your list - sure, you sound like a reasonably well-rounded candidate even with the subpar clinical shadowing and volunteering. But after all, these 2 things really are essential at the top tier schools you are aiming at. Harvard, Mayo, and BU wouldn't be too thrilled with that. Probably others too, but I'm unsure which ones.

As far as another safety you could go with Mercer University who takes all Georgia Residents. The only problem is I believe they have a heavily rural based curriculum. Someone correct me if I am wrong. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as another safety you could go with Mercer University who takes all Georgia Residents. The only problem is I believe they have a heavily rural based curriculum. Someone correct me if I am wrong. :)

*who only takes Georgia Residents.

Georgia has a population of 9.6 million. I swear they aren't all medical students at Mercer. :D

:laugh: :laugh:

*who only takes Georgia Residents.

Georgia has a population of 9.6 million. I swear they aren't all medical students at Mercer. :D

:laugh: :laugh:

So I have been out of school for 2 months and my grammar takes a dive. :laugh: Atleast someone on here took the time to correct it! :p

Add more "safeties"!! I applied last cycle with 35 MCAT and 3.9 GPA and I have to reapply. Do NOT make my same mistake. Good luck!

This is from 2009...the OP is probably a 2nd year resident right now.

Reactions: 1 users