i

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cactusinmyhead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The volunteering seems to be a bit thin, and possible the research as well. Did you get anything out of it (pubs/posters/etc)? Was it meaningful? What as the nature of it?

Unless these were substantial experiences for you, they seem a bit light to me, which is dangerous if you're list is on the top-tier side of things

Members don't see this ad :)
What does that mean?
Do you come from a group that is under-represented in medicine vs over-represented in medicine?

This is a shorthand way of assessing your application against other similar candidates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I looked it up it means "under-represent minority" or over-represented majority I'm guessing? I'm a white female so I'm probably an ORM.

You'd actually count as none of the above; an ORM is a minority (e.g. East Asian) and you are white.

Also if you're applying as a CA resident, then both the University of WA and Oregon Health Sciences are schools that heavily favor applicants from their own states (in the case of UW, five states are "in-region" but CA isn't one of them). They are exceedingly hard to get in to from your position.

Reactions: 1 user
Stanford
Harvard
Northwestern
UCSF
UCLA
USC
UCSD
Boston U
Emory
U Pittsburg
Tufts
Oregon Health Sciences
U of Colorado Health Sci
UC Irvine
Brown
U of Wisconsin
U of Washington
UC Davis
Despite your GPA, your experiences and MCAT are lacking for the most competitive schools. I think you will have a poor chance of getting into Stanford (no pub, MCAT), Harvard (MCAT), UCSF (MCAT), OOS state universities, and Wash U (MCAT; if you didn't mean UW).
You should definitely add more private schools outside of CA. There are many schools like Cornell, NYU, Mt. Sinai in Manhattan that I'd apply to if I were you. Do you rather not live in NYC?

Despite your GPA, your experiences and MCAT are lacking for the most competitive schools. I think you will have a poor chance of getting into Stanford (no pub, MCAT), Harvard (MCAT), UCSF (MCAT), OOS state universities, and Wash U (MCAT; if you didn't mean UW).
You should definitely add more private schools outside of CA. There are many schools like Cornell, NYU, Mt. Sinai in Manhattan that I'd apply to if I were you. Do you rather not live in NYC?

I'm not OP but I have a very similar application. Why is it that you think Stanford is an extra-longshot without a publication? I've heard this, but I can't track down anything concrete about how Stanford (and some other schools too?) is particularly interested in research.

I'm not OP but I have a very similar application. Why is it that you think Stanford is an extra-longshot without a publication? I've heard this, but I can't track down anything concrete about how Stanford (and some other schools too?) is particularly interested in research.
Their secondary asks for your peer-reviewed publications. You have to name the journal, title, year of publication, and your position as an author.

Their secondary asks for your peer-reviewed publications. You have to name the journal, title, year of publication, and your position as an author.

I see, thanks. I'm sure some do get in w/out publications but it's extra difficult. Do you know of any other schools like Stanford with exceptional interest in research?

For OOS private schools you could apply to Loyola and Rosalind Franklin in Chicago. Other possibilities are St. Louis, Tulane, GW, Georgetown, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson and Wake Forest. As Gyngyn recommended at least 5 OOS private schools would be a good strategy.