35+ MCATers - Did you use a question/answer strategy, or just shoot from the hip?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my score back and earned a pitiful 29 (10/9/10) after averaging a 32, with a high of a 36; retaking on August 1st. Aiming for 35+.

I've never employed any sort of method to answering the questions, just straight read-and-answer. For those of you that smoked the exam, did you use a strategy?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Didn't really use a strategy per se but I did have a set way of approaching each and every question. That's the real benefit of utilizing a strategy, you have a consistent approach so you never get fooled by misreading a question or allow previous questions to affect your performance.

The general approach I suggest to all standardized test takers I work with (SAT/MCAT) is as follows:
1) Read prompt
2) Parse all relevant information as you go (keep notes, you don't ever want to read a question twice.. especially if its a long one)
3) Identify EXACT question.. i.e. what are the answers? (depending on ability, I usually tell people to either circle or otherwise note it down)
4) For Sciences/Math, look immediately at the answers for clues on the format required and strategies you can use
5) For Verbal, don't look at the answers
6) Come up with your own answer w/o allowing the answer choices to speak for you
7) Find the choice that fits your prediction

Steps 3-6 are the important ones IMO. It's REALLY important to come up with your own answers rather than letting the answer choices speak for you (especially in Verbal). It's also a really big help to use the answers.. which sounds contradictory but you are using the answers to provide you information rather than looking at the answers for one that feels right. Answering the wrong question is a really common test taking mistake, even if you don't think you suffer from it.. you probably do. I read the question with the goal in mind to figure out the few word phrase that would literally summarize what I'm being asked.

As for scoring a 29 after averaging higher, did you feel the test you got was filled with weak topics? If yes, its not a test taking problem.. its that you didn't do well enough of a job in covering your weaknesses and unluckily got exposed on test day. Make sure to really identify and eliminate weaknesses next time. If not, then its a test taking issue. Either way, practice passages practice passages practice passages. Identify weaknesses. Eliminate them. Care about strengths later.

Reactions: 4 users
Didn't really use a strategy per se but I did have a set way of approaching each and every question. That's the real benefit of utilizing a strategy, you have a consistent approach so you never get fooled by misreading a question or allow previous questions to affect your performance.

The general approach I suggest to all standardized test takers I work with (SAT/MCAT) is as follows:
1) Read prompt
2) Parse all relevant information as you go (keep notes, you don't ever want to read a question twice.. especially if its a long one)
3) Identify EXACT question.. i.e. what are the answers? (depending on ability, I usually tell people to either circle or otherwise note it down)
4) For Sciences/Math, look immediately at the answers for clues on the format required and strategies you can use
5) For Verbal, don't look at the answers
6) Come up with your own answer w/o allowing the answer choices to speak for you
7) Find the choice that fits your prediction

Steps 3-6 are the important ones IMO. It's REALLY important to come up with your own answers rather than letting the answer choices speak for you (especially in Verbal). It's also a really big help to use the answers.. which sounds contradictory but you are using the answers to provide you information rather than looking at the answers for one that feels right. Answering the wrong question is a really common test taking mistake, even if you don't think you suffer from it.. you probably do. I read the question with the goal in mind to figure out the few word phrase that would literally summarize what I'm being asked.

As for scoring a 29 after averaging higher, did you feel the test you got was filled with weak topics? If yes, its not a test taking problem.. its that you didn't do well enough of a job in covering your weaknesses and unluckily got exposed on test day. Make sure to really identify and eliminate weaknesses next time. If not, then its a test taking issue. Either way, practice passages practice passages practice passages. Identify weaknesses. Eliminate them. Care about strengths later.

I have never ever pre-read the questions, and that was something that I actually thought about trying out last night. So, I'm exceedingly happy that you can vouch for its efficacy.

I think the MCAT came down to a culmination of things:

1) Test was delayed by 2 hours (servers were cut off) which killed my arriving-to-the-test-center-and-taking-the-test-with-resolve
2) My highlighter tool wasn't working
3) For the first 2-3 passages of PS, I was in my own head. I think that set the tone for the remainder of the test.
4) Took verbal for granted, I was averaging a 12 and never studied for it. Subconsciously felt like I could lean on that as a given. Big mistake, in hindsight.
5) Some weaknesses... though not many.

#1-3 were circumstantial but, now that I have a test under my belt (and will go into a fresh new test day) I don't think they will repeat themselves. #4-5 have been accounted for as I take the next 85 days to hone in my skills. That's why I was looking for a strategy--something I didn't think of last time, but that may prove invaluable for an (relatively) unpredictable exam day.

I just spent a couple of days identifying what I did wrong during my last pass at studying (which was a solid amount), then incorporated all of that into my new schedule:

1) Finish bio; finish orgo (this sounds like an obvious, but I ran out of time (owing to 40+ hours at work every week) and wasn't able to practice a small chunk of the content I had learned. My mantra last time was practice, practice, practice--something I intend to do again (one of the things I did right)--but I still had more to do.

2) Review the answer I got RIGHT. I did about 3,000 passage-based questions last time, but I ONLY reviewed all of the things I got wrong. Which I now realize was a mistake. I should be using that practice time to solidify why I got things right, not just log why I got it wrong.

3) PRACTICE VERBAL! This one bit me in the tail. I was averaging a 12, and I went into the test thinking that was a given. When PS shattered my confidence, I had no strategy to fall back on for verbal. I took it for granted. And that was stupid.

4) Try out a couple of answering strategies. I literally just read and answer. Apart from process-of-elimination, I have no strategy at all. So, I might try a couple out and see if it helps.... if nothing else, it gives me a reliable constant to fall back on if I start to feel lost.

All in all, there are things that I can definitely work on. Big things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My strategy (which I devised just a couple days prior to the exam, so take it for what it's worth) was to very briefly scan the first 3 or 4 questions of each section prior to reading the passage. I wouldn't remember any more than 3 or 4 topics, so that was my limit. Then I read the passage and answered each question in order. I did all of the passages in order.

I think this was helpful because one of the last bio passages on my exam didn't actually require me to read the passage at all since I had reviewed the material recently. The passage was long and full of graphs, but it only had 4 questions. I realized I knew the answers and never even skimmed the passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have a specific strategy in mind. What I ended up doing was something like this: If it was a short passage, I'd read it quickly, answer the questions and move on. For the longer passages, I'd scan the questions first for giveaways, and keep the rest in mind while I'm reading the passage. In all 3 sections, I highlighted any statements that seemed relevant.

I just got my score back and earned a pitiful 29 (after averaging a 32, with a high of a 36); retaking on August 1st. Aiming for 35+.

I've never employed any sort of method to answering the questions, just straight read-and-answer. For those of you that smoked the exam, did you use a strategy?

Not really. I figured I either knew the answer, or at least had a good guess, or I didn't and guessed anyway. Time is precious, so if I was drawing a blank, I just answered the question with my best guess, and if I had time, then I went back and changed the answer. The PS section was a little dicey for me because of this, but it turned out OK. I take a very direct approach to tests.

Reactions: 1 user
The PS section was a little dicey for me because of this, but it turned out OK. I take a very direct approach to tests.
JM1IkP

I have never ever pre-read the questions, and that was something that I actually thought about trying out last night. So, I'm exceedingly happy that you can vouch for its efficacy.

I think the MCAT came down to a culmination of things:

1) Test was delayed by 2 hours (servers were cut off) which killed my arriving-to-the-test-center-and-taking-the-test-with-resolve
2) My highlighter tool wasn't working
3) For the first 2-3 passages of PS, I was in my own head. I think that set the tone for the remainder of the test.
4) Took verbal for granted, I was averaging a 12 and never studied for it. Subconsciously felt like I could lean on that as a given. Big mistake, in hindsight.
5) Some weaknesses... though not many.

#1-3 were circumstantial but, now that I have a test under my belt (and will go into a fresh new test day) I don't think they will repeat themselves. #4-5 have been accounted for as I take the next 85 days to hone in my skills. That's why I was looking for a strategy--something I didn't think of last time, but that may prove invaluable for an (relatively) unpredictable exam day.

I just spent a couple of days identifying what I did wrong during my last pass at studying (which was a solid amount), then incorporated all of that into my new schedule:

1) Finish bio; finish orgo (this sounds like an obvious, but I ran out of time (owing to 40+ hours at work every week) and wasn't able to practice a small chunk of the content I had learned. My mantra last time was practice, practice, practice--something I intend to do again (one of the things I did right)--but I still had more to do.

2) Review the answer I got RIGHT. I did about 3,000 passage-based questions last time, but I ONLY reviewed all of the things I got wrong. Which I now realize was a mistake. I should be using that practice time to solidify why I got things right, not just log why I got it wrong.

3) PRACTICE VERBAL! This one bit me in the tail. I was averaging a 12, and I went into the test thinking that was a given. When PS shattered my confidence, I had no strategy to fall back on for verbal. I took it for granted. And that was stupid.

4) Try out a couple of answering strategies. I literally just read and answer. Apart from process-of-elimination, I have no strategy at all. So, I might try a couple out and see if it helps.... if nothing else, it gives me a reliable constant to fall back on if I start to feel lost.

All in all, there are things that I can definitely work on. Big things.

You got it now girl!

I'm sure your content knowledge is strong. Try out the new answering strategies and take a few more simulated practice tests and you'll smash that August MCAT!

I didn't do anything strategic for the PS or BS besides reading the passage first and doing the questions next.

For verbal I dabbled around with outlining each paragraph, highlighting, etc. What ended up working best for me was just very infrequent highlighting without using the scratch paper whatsoever.

However, one thing that I think helped me a lot with verbal was reading the passage from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen (usually the first half of the passage) and then scrolling all the way down to read the rest of the passage (the bottom half). I used to just scroll intermittently as I finished reading a line or a paragraph, but too many I would lose track of my reading frame after scrolling and my focus on understanding the passage-not to mention the time it chewed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I didn't do anything strategic for the PS or BS besides reading the passage first and doing the questions next.

For verbal I dabbled around with outlining each paragraph, highlighting, etc. What ended up working best for me was just very infrequent highlighting without using the scratch paper whatsoever.

However, one thing that I think helped me a lot with verbal was reading the passage from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen (usually the first half of the passage) and then scrolling all the way down to read the rest of the passage (the bottom half). I used to just scroll intermittently as I finished reading a line or a paragraph, but too many I would lose track of my reading frame after scrolling and my focus on understanding the passage-not to mention the time it chewed up.

good point, thanks!

BeachBondie, what do you mean by "too much in your head"? I know it's hard to describe but it would be good for you (and for us) to share and learn about this.

Also would you like to share what factors or difference you noticed with VR?

BeachBondie, what do you mean by "too much in your head"? I know it's hard to describe but it would be good for you (and for us) to share and learn about this.

Also would you like to share what factors or difference you noticed with VR?

Literally: "Oh my god, I'm taking the MCAT", "Ugh! This resolution is so big!", "Oh no... OH NO.... my highlighter tool isn't working," "This test is, literally, dictating my next year."

I thought about everything but the passages at-hand. I attribute a good portion of this to our servers shutting down for 2 hours. When I walked into the testing site, I was in the zone -- I had been listening to motivational speeches, knew my averages were strong, self-assured -- then I had 2 hours to sit and think and talk to retakers. I never fold under pressure (wouldn't say that I "folded", per say), but my mojo was pretty destroyed after the technical difficulties and I allowed my rattling mind to take over. This will obviously not be the case during the retake.

I wouldn't say that VR was much different than the AAMCs. I would say that there was a larger proportion of complex passages, sure. But, I was too confident that I could rely on my 12 average. So, when I limped through PS, I was a bit mentally wasted going in to VR and was less diligent than I should have been.

All of this aside, I was shocked to see that I got a 29. I thought it would have AT LEAST been a 31. So, I have a lot of ground to cover, but it's there in my averages. Just need to make it happen on test day. 80 days until Vindication! MUAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
, I have a lot of ground to cover, but it's there in my averages. Just need to make it happen on test day. 80 days until Vindication! MUAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!
You have a good atittude. I have been following your post either before on the tread too. Stay cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good atittude. I have been following your post either before on the tread too. Stay cool.

Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from curling up into the fetal position, rocking yourself slowly, and crying through the night ;)

Yes, it's life, take a break for a few days. Have something to keep you grounded.Breathe. It's in you.

I'm just curious: you said that when you weren't so sharp during PS ("limped throught BS)", starting VR you felt that that kind of mental slugginess ("mentally wasted"?) continued?

Yes, it's life, take a break for a few days. Have something to keep you grounded.Breathe. It's in you.

I'm just curious: you said that when you weren't so sharp during PS ("limped throught BS)", starting VR you felt that that kind of mental slugginess ("mentally wasted"?) continued?

I was sharp during PS, but panicky. It took me 3 passages to quell my rambling thoughts, and the whole time I had to keep re-reading passages because I couldn't concentrate. In the end of PS, I had to rush. So, I was a little shaken up by the time I got to VR. By the time I hit BS, I had gone into full test mode; I actually scored my average in BS (which is nice, because it was grueling). But, I severely undercut myself in PS and VR (should have had a 12 and 12, respectively). There are at least 5 cumulative points missing from those combined sections.

My highlighter tool also wasn't working. Out of curiosity, if you report this to a proctor do they move you to a different computer or do you just have to deal and move on?

My highlighter tool also wasn't working. Out of curiosity, if you report this to a proctor do they move you to a different computer or do you just have to deal and move on?

I didn't want to risk being pulled away/losing time. But, I did report it in the end-of-test questionnaire. It was TERRIBLE not being able to highlight. I don't want to make excuses for my score, certainly, but it couldn't have helped. :p

I was sharp during PS, but panicky. It took me 3 passages to quell my rambling thoughts, and the whole time I had to keep re-reading passages because I couldn't concentrate. In the end of PS, I had to rush. So, I was a little shaken up by the time I got to VR. By the time I hit BS, I had gone into full test mode; I actually scored my average in BS (which is nice, because it was grueling). But, I severely undercut myself in PS and VR (should have had a 12 and 12, respectively). There are at least 5 cumulative points missing from those combined sections.

What helped me out with removing those thoughts in my head was doing the discretes first. Since it's easy and not passage based, I am not wasting time. When I started passages first, my mind always wondered. Before I realized it I read the whole passages and didn't know what I really read. So doing discretes helped eliminate that and helped me be really focused when it was time to do passages.

I actually used a focusing technique before every section. The PS section was harder than my practice tests (scored 11, practice tests averaged 13, with a range of 11-14). I used my focusing technique to put it aside and move onto Verbal. Without that, I think I might have been thinking about the PS (and how I thought I would have to redo the MCAT because it felt horrible at the time.)

For answering specific questions, the technique above sounds good but I don't think I did that. I did mark anything that I didn't know and come back, and sometimes I only figured out partial answers to make a choice. (E.g. for a question involving math, you might only need the exponent.)

I answered all questions in order though, no point in wasting time skipping around, IMO. I got a 36.

What is your focusing technique? I notice with my practice exams I would score between 8-10 in the science sections. I notice upon review of my practice test that I get a lot of the questions wrong b/c I misread a question or answer choice. I truly believe I know that material and concepts of all subjects (weak in fluids/solids and sound). But other than that I know with fixing this issue I have, I can easily score in the 11-12 range. Every practice test I have taken I tell myself to read carefully ready carefully but still fall into my bad habit. What is your advice to fix this?

I just got my score back and earned a pitiful 29 (10/9/10) after averaging a 32, with a high of a 36; retaking on August 1st. Aiming for 35+.

What is your verbal strategy if you don't mind me asking? Also, not sure if you read my last posted message but my problem is misreading questions. What advice can you give me to help me not stay in this bad habit? I know I can easily score in my desired range of an 11-12 for the sciences.

What is your verbal strategy if you don't mind me asking? Also, not sure if you read my last posted message but my problem is misreading questions. What advice can you give me to help me not stay in this bad habit? I know I can easily score in my desired range of an 11-12 for the sciences.

My strategy for verbal is a non-strategy. My MCAT score, embarrassingly, does not reflect my practice averages (which was about a 12; the 9 on the actual exam is the lowest I've ever scored), so perhaps I'm not the best source to ask. However, for the sake of answering your question I can give you a quick rundown:

I read the VR passages as I would read anything else for pleasure: one clean read-through, no stopping to highlight. Because so many of the questions are based on intent, thesis, and sweeping generalizations, I feel that interrupted reading never served me as well. This also serves the purpose of knowing where to hunt for specific recall -- if I'm paying attention to the passages, I know the general area of where to sweep for context clues contained in questions.

I never used any particular strategy. For verbal it was all feel. For PS, one thing that really helped me save time was skipping questions that were frustrating me/taking lots of time (I would guess and mark them initially) and going back to them later. It also made me less worried throughout the section since I did not let these questions bog me down until the end when I would return to them and usually figure them out with a clear head.

I really focused on getting speed down for the sciences (never could for VR and was always left with only 5 minutes after finishing) so that I had plenty of time to go back to questions that I had marked. I would also mark the easy questions since I found that during practice these were the one I would often make careless mistakes on, such as mixing up vasodilation and vasoconstriction (idk how).