35% of female physicians are not married?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

I read this somewhere. Is this true. This seems a bit high. Are u guys intimidated by girls smarter than you?

Members don't see this ad.

no ... I would love to have a girl smarter than me, so I have someone to ask if I don't know something =)

could be that female doctors have higher standards than normal girls

some girls are in awe of finding a male doctor, but if ure already a doctor, theres nothing great about a male doctor anymore

Members don't see this ad :)
People have to be able to relate intellectually. Past experience shows I need to have a man as smart or smarter (and by smart I mean informed, critical reasoning skills, logical, witty, a good cook, great in bed, rich, adventurous... :D j/k...kinda). To tell you the truth (and I may be wrong- guys fill me in here - and am sure to be bashed about this one) I think a lot of women in medicine become too gruff as if they are trying to prove that they are equal or better than their male coworkers. If I were a guy that would be a huge turn off. They lose that touch of femininity that makes smart chicks that much more desireable. Think about that combination: a badass surgeon, a chef in the kitchen, a lady in public, and a temptress in the bedroom -- who could resist? Then again maybe the women are just too busy to consider strapping a victim to her bullet train called life.

Perhaps this statistic is a result of confounding; ie. the personality of a woman that would want to be a doctor may also influence the probability of that person wanting to be married/marriable.

I'm a bit sick of the 'guys don't like girls who are smarter/more hardworking*whine*' line. It's better said that guys (or girls for that matter) don't like people who come across as arrogant pratts. If you think you are smarter/better than any male trying to 'court' you, it is likely that you also are unintentionally acting in a condescending/aloof manner. This is a turn off. This is the fastest way to vibrators-r-us, and whining on internet forums about how guys don't like smart girls.

I wonder what percentage of male physicians are unmarried? Anyone have this data? I believe that historically, females have had to break down more barriers in order to pursue this field - although this is not so much the case these days. There are so many women who decide to get married and start a family instead of pursuing a career path they've started (not that this is a bad thing, necessarily - having a successful marriage these days demands respect!) but women who want to become physicians are not as "on the lookout" as other women may be. I know a lot of doctor-doctor partnerships, which probably works out partially because no one feels neglected in such a relationship.

I so agree with you on this one, I would love an intelligence woman, who really know where she is heading. Also if she is also an MD, she would stand a better chance of understanding of why I have to go away or cancel a date or something of that matter. On the other hand, whoever you fall for is whoever you fall for haha, most of the time you don't even know why :laugh:

faradayampere said:
no ... I would love to have a girl smarter than me, so I have someone to ask if I don't know something =)

I'll probably have to take some **** for this one, but....

I see many smart women with their act together with these dudes that just kind of follow them around mindlessly, and are happy taking the back seat. I realize that many smart, pretty women SAY that they want a guy that can hold their own, but why are they so often with guys that don't really challenge them?

My suspicion is that when they DO find a guy that "has what it takes", they can't really handle it. It's like they like the idea better than the reality. They want a challenge, yet they want to have control as well.

Seriously though. I'm not really sure if strong, dominant women really can handle someone with the same traits. Perhaps the same goes for men. Not sure. Maybe it's meant to be.

Purifyer said:
Perhaps this statistic is a result of confounding; ie. the personality of a woman that would want to be a doctor may also influence the probability of that person wanting to be married/marriable.

I'm a bit sick of the 'guys don't like girls who are smarter/more hardworking*whine*' line. It's better said that guys (or girls for that matter) don't like people who come across as arrogant pratts. If you think you are smarter/better than any male trying to 'court' you, it is likely that you also are unintentionally acting in a condescending/aloof manner. This is a turn off. This is the fastest way to vibrators-r-us, and whining on internet forums about how guys don't like smart girls.

i know many many guys who like aloof (ie ice queen) type women and in fact, one guy called me up junior year of high school to tell me he had a crush on me because i was "the only girl as smart as him." he has pursued me ever since despite my non-interest (hence he thinks of me as an aloof ice queen- i'm really not but to him i come off that way since i'm not interested). i also dated a college drop out punk kid who got off on dating a girl from harvard and "squatting" in her dorm for 6 months. i could go on. i also know girls who are far more aloof than me and men eat it up. they are unattainable, the chase is thrilling. sigh. this doesn't have much to do with pre-allo anymore.

regarding the marriage thing, i have a feeling its more about eductional and professional priorities delaying marriage than men not liking these smart and powerful medical vixens.

I know for me, i do like intelligent women, but also women that are informed in events in the world in general. I dont think i could date anyone in med school or that is a doctor. I guess i prefer a more traditional woman, but thats just my opinion. If we are both doctors, who is going to stay home with the children? Before anyone gets offended, i dont think that this should be every womans' role. But i would want to date someone who is going to be a house wife

Chankovsky said:
I read this somewhere. Is this true. This seems a bit high. Are u guys intimidated by girls smarter than you?

It could be worse. A woman could cut off your penis while you're sleeping and toss it out the window of a moving car.

cfdavid said:

I see many smart women with their act together with these dudes that just kind of follow them around mindlessly, and are happy taking the back seat. I realize that many smart, pretty women SAY that they want a guy that can hold their own, but why are they so often with guys that don't really challenge them?

My suspicion is that when they DO find a guy that "has what it takes", they can't really handle it. It's like they like the idea better than the reality. They want a challenge, yet they want to have control as well.

Seriously though. I'm not really sure if strong, dominant women really can handle someone with the same traits. Perhaps the same goes for men. Not sure. Maybe it's meant to be.

To some extent I agree with you. Personally I can't stand a guy that, as you say, follows me around mindlessly. I do agree that some women can't seem to share the control and that inequality sabotages the relatinship big time. I thought for a good while that I would never find someone compatible with me (and I completely admit that, despite my best intentions, i can be a challenge) who was also able to maintain his own strength and have the balls to call me on my crap and still love me inspite of it. Fortunately I managed to find one and it's great to feel like you are safe allowing the guy to be right and make decisions that are wise. As one of those overly dominieering women I take great refuge in having an equally strong man around who I am able to respect -- not always neccesarily agree with but definitely respect. I will admit that relenquishing that stranglehold on life takes a serious deliberate act of faith but in the end can prove to be quite rewarding.

MWillie said:
It could be worse. A woman could cut off your penis while you're sleeping and toss it out the window of a moving car.

Hopefully the guy would know not to trust you to sew it back on (see your avatar)

Members don't see this ad :)
cfdavid said:

yeah i have my rock. he cooks, he cleans and tells me not to stress. while at harvard, i never liked harvard men. too much like me, i suppose. don't get me wrong, my man is no pushover, but he doesn't care about getting an advanced degree and having a prestigious job. he actually wants to be a librarian and that's cool by me. i couldn't take another person freaking out about mcats, lsats, etc....so i think my experience is very indicative of what you are seeing. we have a wonderful balance and it works beautifully. my mom and dad are the same way. he "let's her shine" as my mom says and is a source of quiet strength for her.

Supidity = Love.

The truth is that GIRL DOCTORS think they are better than any other professions from pretty much any other guy. While trying to take a mans position in society she loses a mans heart.

The simplest answer you can find that adequately explains an observed phenomena is usually the correct one: most female physicians are probably lesbians.

Chankovsky said:

A) who says you're smarter than me? :D

and

B) I'd love to end up with a "smart girl"...two doctor household would be fantastic, but my experience has been that such woman are a little standoff-ish and harder to land. And how about putting the shoe on the other foot? I've also noticed that like some guys, many "smart girls" don't really want a guy who's smarter than them, and end up with some guy who's not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

sacrament said:
The simplest answer you can find that adequately explains an observed phenomena is usually the correct one: most female physicians are probably lesbians.

Of course! How could I miss that one?! It's so obvious. I mean they've got one on ER so it MUST be true. What was I thinking. Thanks for setting the record straight sacrament. where would we be w/o you.

MedicineBird said:
Of course! How could I miss that one?! It's so obvious. I mean they've got on on ER so it MUST be true. What was I thinking. Thanks for setting the record straight sacrament. where would we be w/o you.

ER only has one lesbian; the above-mentioned figure of 35% implies that the actual per capita number of lesbian MDs is probably way, way higher than what the television show suggests. Yet another way in which ER misrepresents actual medicine.

There's some merit to your stereotype of "mindless drones" of men married to female doctors, although I think that's not the *nicest* or most realistic way of putting it. My fiance is a martial artist and will be opening his own school next year. His friend has a school and does very well, so we're both pretty confident in his prospects. My fiance definitely isn't interested in advanced degrees (has a BA), although he is interested in taking long "sabbaticals" to Korea every year. His mentality helps me to stay grounded. He doesn't do whatever I say, although I really wish he would dammit!!! To someone from the outside looking in, it might seem like I'm the power-crazed control freak in charge of this relationship (I kind of am), but he definitely keeps me in check behind the scenes.

i think it tends to be that girls go for guys that have money and prestigious jobs while guys go for girls with pretty faces

its also true that medschool chicks r ugly,

ps: sorry for the truth

Urkel never wants myra. He wants Laura. While you doctorly folk are bright-you are not always the most sexual and while often your goal oriented strategy will bring you much success it will never bring you a mate. You barely have time to date much less get married. You are too busy with your career to ever let thing happen. :) HAHAHAHAHAH

Male doctors on the other hand are always considered as gifted individuals. They are the cream of the crop. So you better be damn straight that we get something at the end.

The ideal role for man in society is one of a provider(in his mind) and the ideal role for a woman is mother and wife(in his mind and in reality).

And please stop lying and saying mairrage is not on top of your list. when times get thin you will put on "Don't you want somebody to love" and start singinging with it "Don't you need somebody to love. Wouldn't you like somebody to love" and put on the depressing mood.

a_student said:
i think it tends to be that girls go for guys that have money and prestigious jobs while guys go for girls with pretty faces

its also true that medschool chicks r ugly,

ps: sorry for the truth
HELL YES! All the hot ones fail out of Orgo I and II. "Silly hot girls- premed is for pigs" is a joke amongst many medical male students. While it is highly inappropriate I will just say that it is a very common zinger.

swifteagle43 said:
Urkel never wants myra. He wants Laura. While you doctorly folk are bright-you are not always the most sexual and while often your goal oriented strategy will bring you much success it will never bring you a mate. You barely have time to date much less get married. You are too busy with your career to ever let thing happen. :) HAHAHAHAHAH

Male doctors on the other hand are always considered as gifted individuals. They are the cream of the crop. So you better be damn straight that we get something at the end.

The ideal role for man in society is one of a provider(in his mind) and the ideal role for a woman is mother and wife(in his mind and in reality).

And please stop lying and saying mairrage is not on top of your list. when times get thin you will put on "Don't you want somebody to love" and start singinging with it "Don't you need somebody to love. Wouldn't you like somebody to love" and put on the depressing mood.

HELL YES! All the hot ones fail out of Orgo I and II. "Silly hot girls- premed is for pigs" is a joke amongst many medical male students. While it is highly inappropriate I will just say that it is a very common zinger.

i wonder why hot chicks don't get into medschool? too busy datin the badboys?

I havent seen that statistic before. Maybe its high because of several different things.

One that come to mind (and kind of goes with what was kind of mentioned earlier by someone) is that a lot of men are still wanting "housewives" and women dont want to give up being a doctor to do that. I am a female pre-med and I know that whether or not I become a doctor that I sure as hell will NOT be a "housewife"....no offense to people who are "housewives", but the though just disgusts me.
To the person who mentioned the housewife thing earlier, you said if you both were doctors "who would stay home with the kids"...why couldnt you take turns staying home? I dont mean this in a rude way...its just that so many people still think thats what women are supposed to do (yes I did note that you said that not all women needed to do that) and I am not saying you are like those chauvanistic jerks who insist and demand that their wives stay at home. Anyway, it was just a thought.

I don't think the stat is high because women want men smarter that them. I would be fine with a boyfriend or husband that didn't have as much education as me. Just because someone hasnt had much college education doesnt mean they arent smart. I would even be okay with a guy that only has a high school degree-as long as he isn't dumb. My sister is like that, she has a 4 year degree plus one year of law school and her husband doesnt have a degree, not even highschool or GED-he dropped out in 12th grade. But he is really smart anyway though. If you knew him you wouldnt think he was a drop out, you would probably think he had some college education. And he doesnt have a problem with the fact that she has a college education and that she makes more money than him.
So, I don't think that high of a percentage of women are single because they want someone smarter than them.

And I am guessing the lesbian thing was a joke, but not all female doctors are lesbians. There are some. But I am not a lesbian and I am going to be a doctor (hopefully going to be a doctor).

a_student said:
i wonder why hot chicks don't get into medschool? too busy datin the badboys?

Because the adcoms assume we paid an ugly chick to get us A's in Orgo. :smuggrin:

FutureDrCynthia said:
And I am guessing the lesbian thing was a joke, but not all female doctors are lesbians. There are some. But I am not a lesbian and I am going to be a doctor (hopefully going to be a doctor).

Anecdotal.

now the dental students - those girls are hotties

thats where its at.

4 Ever said:
now the dental students - those girls are hotties

thats where its at.

Not with the teeth!!! hehe -- sorry It's late and I should be in bed.

sacrament said:
ER only has one lesbian; the above-mentioned figure of 35% implies that the actual per capita number of lesbian MDs is probably way, way higher than what the television show suggests. Yet another way in which ER misrepresents actual medicine.

Now wait minute -- are any of the other gals on ER even married? The redhead with the English accent was but her Dr. Hubby died of brain cancer (happens all the time man) so that doesn't really count. Then there's the chubby blonde gal who got had a wedding a la Brittney Spears in Vegas to an equally abdominally enhanced EMT but that was annulled after 2 days or something. Of cousre all of these single women have babies too.....hmmmm

I definately think doctor girls can be hot. I will elaborate tommorrow i hope.

medstyle said:

sure they can be hot, but oh too bad their not :p

medstyle said:

i'll bet u some of the girls on this forum r looking at these posts and are saying to themselves "awesome i'll be relatively more hot in medschool than in undergrad" :laugh:

a_student said:
i'll bet u some of the girls on this forum r looking at these posts and are saying to themselves "awesome i'll be relatively more hot in medschool than in undergrad" :laugh:

lol....:) I am hitting the bar once I get into medical school. :)....ask out females to help me with my anatomy homework :)

"You want to play doctor?"

swifteagle43 said:
Ha, you should've seen my organic class. The number of hot girls definitely outweighed the number of cows.

TheProwler said:
Ha, you should've seen my organic class. The number of hot girls definitely outweighed the number of cows.

Cows get ooooooooooooooooooooooooorganic chem

It's not that women doctors have standards that are too high.

I think it's moreso that women doctors are undesireable wives.

Most guys get married because they want to have kids. They want a wife who can raise those kids.

Women doctors don't get out of their residencies until they are 30-35. At that point, there is a higher risk of birth defects if they have children. Also, they will be too busy with their careers to make good Moms.

That and most female doctors are ugly. :laugh: Women who are good looking don't need to work so hard to get ahead in life. :smuggrin:

I think is just a matter of the lifestyle...I am starting med school next fall, and I have always been interested in becoming an OB...yet my other passion besides medicine is having children of my own and being a kick-ass mom... So I dunno. I think female docs with demanding specialties might encounter more pressure when trying to settle down, you have to find someone who's either in the same field or is really understanding. Personally, my boyfriend is already making plans about me being his sugar mama...he'll stay home while I go out and work...sounds like a plan to me. Too bad we don't know what this long-distance thing is going to do to our relationship (he's moving to boston tomorrow, and might be starting pharmacy school somewhere in the US next fall)...so, we'll see.

Life as a doc in training sucks, too many unknowns....

Karina said:
I think is just a matter of the lifestyle...I am starting med school next fall, and I have always been interested in becoming an OB...yet my other passion besides medicine is having children of my own and being a kick-ass mom... So I dunno. I think female docs with demanding specialties might encounter more pressure when trying to settle down, you have to find someone who's either in the same field or is really understanding.

I wanted to do OB too. But then I decided it would be too hard to have kids in that field. I need a specialty where it will be easy to do one of those job share things. I only want to work 2 or 3 days a week so I can take care of my kids the rest of the time :)

tinkerbelle said:
I wanted to do OB too. But then I decided it would be too hard to have kids in that field. I need a specialty where it will be easy to do one of those job share things. I only want to work 2 or 3 days a week so I can take care of my kids the rest of the time :)

Yup, been thinking about radiology or something like that. We'll see what happens.

Karina

MedicineBird said:
To some extent I agree with you. Personally I can't stand a guy that, as you say, follows me around mindlessly. I do agree that some women can't seem to share the control and that inequality sabotages the relatinship big time. I thought for a good while that I would never find someone compatible with me (and I completely admit that, despite my best intentions, i can be a challenge) who was also able to maintain his own strength and have the balls to call me on my crap and still love me inspite of it. Fortunately I managed to find one and it's great to feel like you are safe allowing the guy to be right and make decisions that are wise. As one of those overly dominieering women I take great refuge in having an equally strong man around who I am able to respect -- not always neccesarily agree with but definitely respect. I will admit that relenquishing that stranglehold on life takes a serious deliberate act of faith but in the end can prove to be quite rewarding.

Very well stated. Perhaps it does take a bit of a leap of faith. I was going to say that I believe that most women DO want a guy that they can "rely" on to call the shots (in a sense). I think it's instinctual. Sounds like you've found such a guy. Good for you.

The statistic holds not just for doctors but for women in all professions.

There are two things for which having a husband is useful: financial support and sex. Fortunately in this day and age successful women have no problem obtaining either one without submitting to the shackles of marriage. Men on the other hand will never be able to produce and rear children without women. Not to mention that most rely on their wives for almost all household-related issues. It is clear that females are the more self-sufficient sex and will therefore assert their independence until they find someone they actually like.

P.S I have certainly not noticed that premeds are any uglier than anyone else. In fact on my interviews I was struck by how few of my fellow interviewees were overweight. Future doctors are health conscious as they should be and generally fastidious about their appearance.

Karina said:
Yup, been thinking about radiology or something like that. We'll see what happens.

Karina

See, I think it would be cool to open a combined family practice clinic in conjunction with a day care center. Then I can be a doc and have my kids nearby. Plus patients could bring their kids and leave them at the day care center during their appointment. Oh well. I guess I'll figure things out when I'm ready to have kids :D

so many arent married cause we're too goddamn busy to go out there and find someone!!! with med school then rotations then residency when will i have the time to find a man and get hitched??? hell, im even sometimes too busy to date............

plus, we're articulate, sophisticated and educated, and with that comes pickiness when choosing someone.......i cant just go out with anyone......i have to like him and he has to have a perrsonality that i find appealing.......its just tough all around lol.

thats why i need to be in a med school in a city with tons of single ppl!! need to get hooked up man! :laugh: :love: :love:

Originally Posted by SoCalRULES!!!!!
You should take an O chem class at UCLA!!!!!!!!!!!!! So many hot girls of all ethnicities!
I know where I'm going!:laugh:

Acherona said:
The statistic holds not just for doctors but for women in all professions.

There are two things for which having a husband is useful: financial support and sex. Fortunately in this day and age successful women have no problem obtaining either one without submitting to the shackles of marriage. Men on the other hand will never be able to produce and rear children without women. Not to mention that most rely on their wives for almost all household-related issues. It is clear that females are the more self-sufficient sex and will therefore assert their independence until they find someone they actually like.
:laugh:

That's a good one. It's not true though. How do you figure women will be able to produce children without men? If you even say cloning, you deserve to get slapped.

Most pre-med girls would hump a cold sausage if no one was looking. :D

When they end up as 40 year old doctors without families, they say that their standards ae too high. :laugh:

TheProwler said:
That's a good one. It's not true though. How do you figure women will be able to produce children without men? If you even say cloning, you deserve to get slapped.
Ever heard of sperm banks? I'm not averse to that route myself if I should have a change of heart down the road about reproducing.

I think most of the theories people have brought up have aspects of truth. To summarize, men tend to place greater emphasis on looks, youth, femininity, and likelihood to stay at home and raise the kids. From this perspective, female doctors are less likely to make attractive partners as other females. Female doctors, on the other hand, tend to place greater emphasis on compatibility and their mate's equality to them in prestige, accomplishments, and intelligence. Since women doctors are pretty high on the totem pole already, and freed from financial considerations, that means they're much pickier about mates. At least one side needs to modify its viewpoint if more female doctors are to get married. Or, alternatively, women can realize (and some of those 35% of unmarried women doctors have undoubtedly already realized) that marriage isn't necessarily that worthwhile anyway (for them personally at least), no matter what our culture or sappy love songs continually tell us.

By the way, Acherona's post kicks major butt. :thumbup:

Forget bar man, I am hitting up Pharmacy School and the undergrad campus :laugh:
As for Orgo, man there are some hot girls in there, but they are pretty much all pharmacy or something else. :smuggrin: , HAHA so I am moving to Pharmacy School as soon as I hit Med School :D

swifteagle43 said:
lol....:) I am hitting the bar once I get into medical school. :)....ask out females to help me with my anatomy homework :)

"You want to play doctor?"

Chankovsky said:

I think 35% of female physicians are unmarried because nearly 90% of them are just...........well.......just HEINOUS. :rolleyes: