36 MCAT, 3.5 gpa, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeygirl09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

You guys just keep looking and not commenting! :)

Thanks for the input Catalystik!

Members don't see this ad :)
For the University of Wyoming School of Medicine, I put your chances at precisely 49.89123% (barring any sudden changes in the strength of the yen or new outbreaks of mad cow disease).

I can't tell you about any other program though. I suggest trying to look up any number of a thousand other threads discussing this exact same issue. But be warned. What are the chances that someone has applied to medical school with a 36 mcat and 3.5 gpa? Its almost astronomically small. Like super tiny. Maybe 40-60% of posters kind of small. THAT small.

For the University of Wyoming School of Medicine, I put your chances at precisely 49.89123% (barring any sudden changes in the strength of the yen or new outbreaks of mad cow disease).

I can't tell you about any other program though. I suggest trying to look up any number of a thousand other threads discussing this exact same issue. But be warned. What are the chances that someone has applied to medical school with a 36 mcat and 3.5 gpa? Its almost astronomically small. Like super tiny. Maybe 40-60% of posters kind of small. THAT small.

Such precision! Thanks for the comment, I like your style.

With such sarcastic comments it's amazing that you have lasted so long on SDN without having an aneurysm (1700+ posts). I mean, if you are browsing 'what are my chances' in SDN you have to expect these threads. You should do some analyses of your own. Perhaps, what is the probability that I will hate reading a "what are my chances" thread? If that probability approaches 100% maybe you should refrain from clicking on them in the first place. The whole point of this part of the forum is to post some info (MCAT, GPA, activities etc) and get some feedback. It's a nice thing.

Hey, Monkeygirl, your chances are excellent. Stay confident. You'll be getting interview invites soon.

I would add 3-5 more schools to be on the safe side since your GPA is somewhat low for many of these schools. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

This is rather off-topic, but I just wanted to say how it just blows my mind that a "low GPA" is a 3.5 now! I mean, the averages corroborate that, but a 3.5 really isn't anything to sneeze at when you think about it. Oh well, I guess that's just the state of things...

This is rather off-topic, but I just wanted to say how it just blows my mind that a "low GPA" is a 3.5 now! I mean, the averages corroborate that, but a 3.5 really isn't anything to sneeze at when you think about it. Oh well, I guess that's just the state of things...

Our class average this year was 3.8/35MCAT and average age of 23. Yikes. Granted we're one of more prestigious med schools, but still, a 3.8 means that on average, we all averaged better than A-'s in college.

3.5 may not be that low on an absolute scale, but the fact that we're on a relative scale makes all the difference. 3.5 may not be bad, but it is when we're being compared to so many other applicants who do have a 4.0.

3.5 may not be that low on an absolute scale, but the fact that we're on a relative scale makes all the difference. 3.5 may not be bad, but it is when we're being compared to so many other applicants who do have a 4.0.

I only wish I would have known that I wanted to be a doctor either 1) before I chose engineering so I could have chosen something with more generous grading (IMO) or 2) at some point in time while I was in undergrad so that I could have at least tried a little harder to get A's instead of those A-/B+ grades I did get.

Not saying that I didn't work hard but considering that industry considers anything 3.5 or greater an impressive GPA there wasn't too much motivation (other than personal satisfaction) to complete with the pre-meds in my classes for those few A's that were awarded.

As a 4th year, I have to say ... VERY NICE ( in Borat voice)