36 mcat 4.0 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leo1992s

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my GPA is a 4.0 overall and my MCAT scores are 12PS, 10 VR, and 14BS
I have clinical experience shadowinh physicians since Freshman year with about 8 hours per week throughout the semester and about 25hrs a week during the summer. I also have research experience when I was in the SIP program at the NIH.

What are my chances at the following schools? Thanks!
My list of schools are:
UPenn (Reach)
Yale
Emory
Vanderbilt
Stanford
UNC Chapel Hill
University of Washington
University of California San Francisco
Georgetown
Maryland (Safety)
Howard (Safety)

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what state you live in, URM status, etc.

A 4.0, 36 is great but your ECs are really average to below avg at top schools.

More information would be more helpful.

I'm also not sure how Penn is a reach and Yale isn't.

Apply to more safety schools would be my suggestion. Good luck

Good stats, but without more information about your EC's, it would be hard to speak to your chances. Your list is almost entirely top-tiers, which all like to focus on EC's on top of stats. Without great EC's, it will be an uphill battle.

You should also be aware that Howard is an HBCU.

You should add ~5 more schools, preferably in the mid-tier range similar to Georgetown.

Members don't see this ad :)
If those are really all your ECs then you need to focus more on mid tier than top tier.

Hey I definitely will take the advice with broadening my schools but I also guess I need to elaborate a little more on my ECs. I have been interning for the past three years and have a review article published (second author) and I was also listed as an author on another article published from my research at the NIH. I also am the president of the honors society at my university and I currently volunteer as a mentor for kids at a local underprivileged high school. I also am a member of a few clubs and organizations, but I doubt they matter as much. My state school is the University of Maryland, which is why I thought it would be my safety.

What are some other mid-tier schools that I should apply too?

Hey I definitely will take the advice with broadening my schools but I also guess I need to elaborate a little more on my ECs. I have been interning for the past three years and have a review article published (second author) and I was also listed as an author on another article published from my research at the NIH. I also am the president of the honors society at my university and I currently volunteer as a mentor for kids at a local underprivileged high school. I also am a member of a few clubs and organizations, but I doubt they matter as much. My state school is the University of Maryland, which is why I thought it would be my safety.

What are some other mid-tier schools that I should apply too?

your ECs sound very solid/decidedly above average.

with your killer stats and these ECs, dont be afraid to aim a bit high.