36O 3.7cGPA 3.7sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDdoc15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have on research publication as a first author and two summer research programs at Pitt Med School. However, I studied chemistry at Oxford during my junior year and wasn't able to do research or any clinical work. My clinical work is limited to a few days of shadowing and a summer working in a physical therapy clinic. I'm volunteering at a hospital, but its this fall. Should I try to shadow some more people before I go back to school? My advisor is worried that I'm late applying/don't have enough clinical experience. Res should be good, one from my PI at Pitt who published with and others are solid.

Three questions:

1) Do I have a shot at Duke or Stanford?

2) as a PA resident do I have any shot at all at UCLA, UCSF, or UCSD?

3) Will shadowing and writing about it in my personal statement help (ie is it worth me skipping a vacation to shadow for a week)?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of work did you do at the clinic, and approximately how many hours?

If you haven't even written your PS yet, you may want to hold off until next year. You'll find that it's not going to come to you right away.

It was a full time job... 40 hours week for the summer after freshmen year. I've got it hashed out, been working on it for a few weeks now, my advisor read it though and suggested emphasizing clinical things more.