37.5 Gy in 15 fractions for Optic Nerve tolerance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XRT_doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of 37.5 Gy in 15 fractions for optic nerve tolerance?

Members don't see this ad.

Should be fine. This was the dose/fractionation for WBRT in RTOG 9508, and I don't think any optic nerve issues were reported. Also, basic BED calculation with alpha/beta = 3 gives a tolerance BED of ~90 Gy for optic nerve (assuming tolerance of 54 Gy at standard fx); BED of 37.5/15 is ~70.

That's my standard WBRT dose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Others already beat me to the punch, but should be totally fine.

Say you took a conservative constraint like 54Gy point dose @ 2gy/fx, and assumed a low end a/b ratio of 1.5. BED(a/b 1.5) for 5400 would be 126Gy. A dose of 37.5Gy @ 2.5Gy would have a BED (a/b 1.5) of 100Gy making it well below what is already a conservative tolerance IMO.

If you are doing some sort of IMRT with inhomogeneity, and want to know the max that equates to a dose of 5400 @ 2Gy, this would be 46.87Gy.

That's fine. I've done 42/3 several times and not seen toxicity either.

I think it depends on what you're trying to treat. Is this a WBRT question? if so multitudes of patients have been treated with this for years. if you're targeting around the optic nerve, I favor smaller fraction sizes (as in 180 cGy to 5220 for an optic nerve sheath meningioma)