Mar 19, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Everyone,

I just talked to a premed advisor and she was pretty doubtful about my chances of getting accepted to an MD program or MD/PhD. She was really insistent about becoming a CNA or EMT, to boost my clinical experience. It doesn't look like there will be enough time before this app cycle so I'm wondering what I can do...

Here are my stats,

3.77 GPA Biology Degree
37 MCAT
2 Semesters and 2 summers working in Research
8 months working in a lab after graduating
About 50 hours of shadowing several different specialities
1 Semester of ER volunteering 2hrs per wk

I thought MD / PhD might have been an option but I'm a little discouraged after speaking with her.

What do you think I can do in these next few months before the app cycle?

Should I apply early or wait for more clinical experience and apply later?

Thanks for any and all responses!

NonTradSkier

shepardsun

7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've met people in my application year who got in with far less, especially to state schools. Not really sure what your advisor is smoking. Get some killer LORs and draft a great personal statement and you'll do fine. You'll definitely have a shot at great schools, especially if you apply early. Definitely apply early.

VOP

5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2009
Silver Spring, MD
Status
Medical Student
I agree with her. Absolutely no chance @ MD. I'm not even sure you could do DO or go to the Caribbean. I suggest you add magic tricks to your portfolio and become a circus clown.

http://www.studentdoc.com/medfind.html

plug in your numbers here and you'll realize you are nowhere close to being competitive.

Mar 18, 2010
Status
I'm not 100% certain Bu if you can you might b able to list activities you have started and are on going at the time of application. While it may serve you well to wait another year, it may not make much of a difference in the long run.

If you want to apply this year, turn in apps as soon as soon as you can

getright

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm currently talking to one of my professors in school about a possible research topic that we are both very interested in. How drugs affect Pre-med adviser mentality. We both find this this issue extremely alarming.

shepardsun

7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm not 100% certain Bu if you can you might b able to list activities you have started and are on going at the time of application. While it may serve you well to wait another year, it may not make much of a difference in the long run.

If you want to apply this year, turn in apps as soon as soon as you can
You can list activities that you started and are on-going but I wouldn't. There's really no point for this guy, his application isn't in the straits that would necessitate telling people about the things one intends to do. The only reason I would see waiting a year is if money is absolutely super tight for you. As good as your numbers look right now and as strong of a candidate as we might think you are, the one thing I've learned about this entire process is that it can be entirely random at times and even though you look pretty good there's always a shot that you won't get in. If the cost of the application cycle is such that you can only do it once, then I would take a year just to make sure that you're about as bulletproof as you possibly can be.

shepardsun

7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm currently talking to one of my professors in school about a possible research topic that we are both very interested in. How drugs affect Pre-med adviser mentality. We both find this this issue extremely alarming.
I think it should be a job requirement of a pre-med advisor to actually go through the process, even if they don't intend to go onto medical school. I can't really think of another profession off the top of my head where you instruct other people about something that you yourself haven't really ever fully experienced. The amount of bad advice out there is just staggering.

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
if you apply make sure to apply broadly and to include a lot of middle-tier schools. in that case, you have a very good chance. you can also continue getting clinical experience during your year off. although you can't put it on your primary application, you can bring it up during your interviews.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Your numbers are really good, but your Experiences don't stand out, IMO. To me that means you have no chance at the highly-competitive programs who'd want to see substantive research with maybe pubs, strong community service, amazing leadership, and teaching experience. But there are other MD/PhD programs in the middle-selectivity arena that you might appeal to (and they may not expect as much clinical experience as is typical) if you can muster supportive LORs from your PI.

Your shadowing is fine, but your clinical experience is pretty sparse for MD-only programs.

You have to decide on what you really want. If you're aiming for the research giants or for MD-only programs, you need to beef up your ECs for a year. If you're content to go anywhere, go ahead and apply to a realistic list of schools, but I'd suggest you continue to build your clinical experience and some nonmedical community service during the application year for the sake of update letter material and conversations during interviews. And if worse comes to worst and you end up reapplying, you'll have a stronger application on the second try.