37R MCAT and 3.45 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Damege

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both my sGPA and my cGPA are 3.45 right now and I should be able to get at least my sGPA over a 3.5 by the time I apply (Next cycle). I was also hoping that coming from Washington University in St. Louis could give me a tiny bump.

My mcat grades are a 14 in BS, a 12 in PS, and an 11 in V.

I have worked in multiple labs over the last few years and volunteered in an animal shelter for over a year, and will have volunteering in addition to that this year. I have also volunteered and shadowed in the emergency room.

Do you think I have a solid chance of getting into these schools I am applying to? Should I apply to more? I'm an NY resident.

Albany Medical School
Columbia
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
NYU
Stony Brook
Downstate
Upstate
Buffalo
Rochester
Cornell
Einstein
Saint Louis University
Mizzou

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

my numbers are similar to yours. you have a decent shot. does your school have a mcat/gpa acceptance chart? i'd look at that if i were you to see where you stand.

do you really want to stay in new york?

i'd add the schools in boston, washington dc, and philadelphia if you wanted more.

tufts
boston
georgetown
temple...

Do you think I have a solid chance of getting into these schools I am applying to?
I think you'll do fine. If you don't have one, try to work on some type of leadership experience. Keep up the clinical experience/community service. Teaching/mentoring is nice to see also.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not too sure about the process but is he a serious candidate for Cornell? I am not trying to be disparaging but just wanted to know because my stats are similar.

i think he has a small chance of getting into cornell. it will depend on his LORs and ECs

The OP has four reach schools listed that are unlikely, but a good chance at all the others based on the presumed stats mentioned. NYU, and if added, Tufts, are just a bit of a reach, and it's good to include a few dream schools.

Well now I'm applying. Looks like my cGPA and my sGPA are both going to be 3.45.

Is this too many schools to apply to? Is 17 schools too many?

Cornell
Columbia
Mt Sinai
Tufts
NYU
Einstein
U Rochester
Case Western
Boston U
Downstate
Stony Brook
Georgetown
Albany
Upstate
U Buffalo
Temple
NYMC

no, it's not too many. there are lots of great schools on the east coast though and you can certainly add more. i think in your case, your EC's are going to make or break you, so if you went more in depth and wanted advice on that, we could offer more guidance.

By my count, you have 5 reach schools, plus 3 more on the cusp on your list of 17. When one has discordant stats, it is wise to be more liberal about the number of schools applied to, especially when you did not have a recent upward grade trend. I'd suggest adding 8 more schools to your list that emphasize mid-range and safety schools.

More details on my ECS:
80-100 hours of lab work sophomore year, with 60 more over the next two years. (All different labs)
20 hours of ER shadowing
80 hours of lab work during the summer.
25 hours of ER volunteering
30 hours of animal shelter volunteering
40 hours of volunteering as part of a service fraternity (senior year).

My flaws seem to be leadership and a lack of teaching, although some of my community service has involved helping children, but not for extended periods. In addition, I have never done independent research, I've always been more of a research assistant and I haven't stayed in the same lab for more than a year.

I would be forced to say that I think your ECs are weak (sorry).

Without a substantive, consistent research activity, I'd take all the research-giant type schools off your list.

You have only 25 hours of clinical experience, when the average is 150 hours acquired over 1.5 years. You have not adequately demonstrated that you've explored the field of medicine as a career.

You've only shadowed one doc for a short time. Aiming for 60-80 hours split among three docs is a good goal.

You have 70 hours of nonmedical community service, which is fair. You didn't list the hours "helping children," so I assume that's from the service frat?

Yeah, and there's no teaching or leadership. Honestly, there's nothing about the experiences you've mentioned that suggest you'll be a future leader in medicine, and that's who top schools aim to train.

I'm sure this seems harsh to you, but I'd call it Tough Love. You need to beef up things fast if you are planning to apply in June. What improvements can you realistically make?

I wanted to apply right when applications open, but I pretty much have after graduation to do buffing. From may 22 on I will be class-free, I was planning on doing clinical volunteering/shadowing throughout the year nearly every weekday. In addition, I'm not all that concerned with what school I get into. I just want to get into one. I forgot to mention that I am also applying to the Sackler program in Tel Aviv assuming that I do not get in anywhere.

If I send in update letters concerning this, is there a time frame I should send them in?

Considering your lovely MCAT score wihich will get you some attention, a bit of compromise might be in order, where you'd consider submitting early in July (a month later) so you could get in 6 additional weeks of intense clinical exposure on your primary application (unless it's possible for you to squeeze something in weekly starting now). Then send in a letter at the end of the summer (~9/1), then again ~12/1 or so. There's no magic formula here. I'm just telling you what seems logical to me, so adcomms looking at your file might be swayed by your supplemental letters to keep you under consideration, rather than rejecting you outright.

What are Sackler's expectations for clinical experience?

I disagree. I Think you are golden. With your MCAT score, and Wash U's reputation, i think a good PS will get you right in there

Well now I'm applying. Looks like my cGPA and my sGPA are both going to be 3.45.

Is this too many schools to apply to? Is 17 schools too many?

Cornell
Columbia
Mt Sinai
Tufts
NYU
Einstein
U Rochester
Case Western
Boston U
Downstate
Stony Brook
Georgetown
Albany
Upstate
U Buffalo
Temple
NYMC

You might want to consider Jefferson in Philadelphia. I love it here and you would have a decent chance with those stats.