38 MCAT, >3.9gpa, mediocre ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all:

38 MCAT, >3.9 gpa, Cali resident, UC student

My EC's are a bit mediocre though, nothing spectacular like I've see around the forums. I feel like I'm in the middle territory where I'm not very competitive for top 20s,but where mid-tier schools may think that I'm treating them as safeties. So, what are my chances? Any suggestions for schools would be helpful as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What I am about to say is going to be under the assumption that you are not trolling or fishing for compliments on your nice stats. Apply anywhere, you'll be fine.

What I am about to say is going to be under the assumption that you are not trolling or fishing for compliments on your nice stats. Apply anywhere, you'll be fine.

Uh, no. Top 20 will be a big challenge with those ECs. Can you get any other stuff before the cycle starts? I think you are good for mid tiers, they won't throw you out because they think you think they are a safety.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not trolling or fishing for compliment. I know my stats are good, but I got a late start in the pre-med EC game, so I'm just genuinely concerned about my competiviteness (and I'm not the only one who thinks so as slice of bread pointed out)

And honestly, I don't have any particular attachments to top 20 schools, so I just want to know my chances of getting in anywhere.

I'm not trolling or fishing for compliment. I know my stats are good, but I got a late start in the pre-med EC game, so I'm just genuinely concerned about my competiviteness (and I'm not the only one who thinks so as slice of bread pointed out)

And honestly, I don't have any particular attachments to top 20 schools, so I just want to know my chances of getting in anywhere.

They're very good, as long as you apply broadly :)

I was a fairly similar applicant to you, and things worked out.

Why not take one or two years off and do something seriously spectacular. With your stats I feel like if you did that you could get into a great top 20 school and be competitive for great scholarships.

As someone applying this upcoming cycle ... I would tell you to apply the cycle after :p

But honestly, those stats are great. Your ECs are what most pre-meds would have so I would say you still have good chances at top 20's.

I'm pretty sure you'll get acceptance so long your interviews skills are up to par!

I have similar stats as you and applied to a lot of top twenties with similar ECs... I don't want to go too much into the disappointment of my own cycle, but I would STRONGLY encourage you to do as much in the way of fluff ECs as possible in the next few months, and definetely have at least 1 activity that demonstrates 'compassion' :)rolleyes:) EG ladeling soup to homeless geezers.

If he really wants to apply this cycle, then maybe apply to the SOMs that are more Primary Care oriented. Many of the Research oriented ones may not bother to interview.

Maybe look thru the list of the highly ranked PC SOMs and apply to those that take OOS students who don't have a tie to the state.

If he really wants to apply this cycle, then maybe apply to the SOMs that are more Primary Care oriented. Many of the Research oriented ones may not bother to interview.

Maybe look thru the list of the highly ranked PC SOMs and apply to those that take OOS students who don't have a tie to the state.

I disagree. OP hasn't listed any sort of outreach work for the underserved, which is often crucial in getting in OOS to highly ranked PC state schools (or mine, at least).