38 MCAT with low gpa.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmwannab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 38 MCAT but my GPA from Berkeley was 2.5. Have been taking some post-bac classes and should be able to raise my gpa to around 3.0 or so. Do you think I stand a chance? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh, we deal with another one of these posts. To be quite frank, none of us have a magic ball. Your best bet is to try.

Pharmwannab said:
Hello,

I have a 38 MCAT but my GPA from Berkeley was 2.5. Have been taking some post-bac classes and should be able to raise my gpa to around 3.0 or so. Do you think I stand a chance? Thanks.

You definitely need to raise your GPA. If you can show a real upward trend in your grades, I would think that some school might give you a shot. You will need to apply to a LOT of schools. If you're interested in the philosophy, consider applying to osteopathic schools. They may be more willing to overlook past screwups in regards to grades. No matter what you do, though, you'll need to ace your post-bac classes (go for all A and A-). Many schools won't accept MCAT scores that are older than 3 years, however, so whatever you do make sure you'll be able to apply before your phenomenal score expires.

Pharmwannab said:
Hello,

The question is, do you really have a 38 MCAT? I don't mean to accuse you of anything but many people will post questions like this before they actually take the MCAT, assuming that is how they will do. There are probably only a few hundred people in the entire nation who scored a 38 on the MCAT. If you are one of them, then congrats. Take some more post-bac classes or do a quick masters program and you are golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
ur mcat is obviously excellent, but nevertheless, keep in mind that most schools that screen have a 3.0 cutoff, so u absolutely need to make ur gpa above 3.0, then just give it a shot.

Pharmwannab said:
Hello,

Yo Pharmwannab, what about pharm school?

Freakin trolls :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, medical schools have a very deliberately selective sieve that they use to filter medical students.

They want to see a high MCAT (which shows overall retention and acute test taking skills) AND a high GPA (which shows long-term endurance and self-discipline).

Then you have EC's and real life experience to help you stand out.

I would suggest a 2nd undergrad degree (60 credits) in something that interests you. That should get their attention.

--before i say this, i am not judgind the poster in any way, ive just come accross this many times--

You know whats odd to me, Ive been looking on this studentdoctor.net thing for a long time now and ive noticed that within the past few months (since the august 2005 mcat scores were posted) ive seen atleast 50+ people say they have achieved scores of 35+ on the mcat. Im sure some people have received those scores, but most people have not. I find this really retarted because you are on this website to help people and likewise receive help from them. By lying and spreading false information online, you are not impressing anyone in anyway, instead you are just making yourself look like a jackass. Anyway, I thought I comment on that.

Back to the thread, I do think you should apply because your mcat score is phenomenal and you are coming from a great school as well. Granted most schools do have a minimum GPA cutoff and this may cause you to be thrown out of their system, applying to many school can increase your odds of getting in. Good Luck!!

Cooolguy: actually i dont think most people are lying when it comes to their stats, just look at the wall of fame in the pre-allo forum and all the sdn-ers that have been accepted at the top schools. this site tends to attract the most intelligent (and neurotic) premeds, therefore everything here is skewed (like a 30 mcat is considered bad haha). so i wouldnt be too cynical.

Pharmwannab said:
Hello,

If you want to gain admission into an allopathic school, raise your UG GPA pronto before that insanely high MCAT scores expires. Congrats on such an amazing score, BTW.