3R is supposed to be easy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverpaw54

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the "3R" a diagnostic or an actual full length by AAMC? I just took the PS and VR and I didnt get the 11-13 scores I was hoping for. I thought it would be a lot easier than the other Kaplan, TPR practice tests and EK 101 vr passage book.

Bah, I did awful and I'm thinking about backing out of the April test since I did so bad on this 3R. I also have 4 and 5R. Are these all the same exams everyone else is taking and getting really good scores?

Members don't see this ad.

How bad did you do?
I thought it was ok, not extremely easy. Don't get discouraged just yet.

3R is a full-length composed of different passages from different full-length exams many moons ago. I just finished taking it, and I haven't graded it yet, but I couldn't even finish Bio :mad: . Like onmyway, I would say don't give up just yet. Was the problem timing for you? That's where I got kicked in Bio. Were the topics in PS really unfamiliar to you? If so, look at your weak points, do more passages in those areas, and keep taking practice tests. It's all about getting comfortable with the format and being able to weed out a blatantly wrong answer or two, because every little bit helps. Just because it's 3R, doesn't mean that if you didn't do so hot on it you suck because it was supposed to be the easiest one. It's still an MCAT exam. It's still practice. It still has some challenging things on it.

To be honest I thought Practice 3R was just as comparable as the other exams. Like Medimama23 said, its all about form, practice, and fine tuning!

Members don't see this ad :)
Timing wasnt an issue really. The first passage in PS I believe was on redox and the 2nd on like phase diagrams. I missed 11 of the first 12 with getting #1 right so missing 11 questions in a row. I ended up scoring an 8 overall on the section and I got an 8 in VR as well. I didnt take Bio bc I had a meeting and wasnt able to get up early enough yesterday to take it. I seem to be stuck at getting 8 on all my tests except for one 9 in VR.

I'm not really sure if I can raise my score. Maybe with more practice and some serious luck on test day, I'll get a 28-31.

How much time to do you have at the end of these sections? Could these possibly be two of your weaker areas that you need to work on? If so, then it's not to say that your score can't go up. You've got time to review the topics that cause you stress; you just have to put the work in.

It is so important not only to take these practice tests, but to review the answers you got wrong AND right, esp. those right ones where you were just blatantly guessing.

If you have a helpful friend or family member, I would recommend that you:

-take a practice exam
-have them grade it for you, not marking the right answer but only what number you got wrong
-go over the wrongly answered questions again
-regrade marking the right answers
-REVIEW THE EXPLANATIONS and TAKE NOTES!!!
-on those areas where you couldn't get the right answer on your first or second try, go back to your text and review books and try some problems.

It sounds like a lot to do, and maybe it is, but it's so helpful. Just taking the exams will get you comfortable with format...you need to get comfortable with the material, and that's all in the review of the passage answers. Keep plugging away, and if MCAT time comes around and your practice scores still aren't where you want them to be, THEN consider bowing out. But don't give up without a good fight!

I made a 12vr 13ps(only gen chem part as I hadent done physics yet) and 9bs. A couple years back when I was curious how the MCAT was. I might possibly score this high on the real test ( bio I will certainly score higher), but if I do it will be after quite a lot of study.