3rd and 4th year at UHS-COM kansas city and Kirksville.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by jefftzeng, Oct 24, 2000.

1. jefftzeng

jefftzeng Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Can anybody tell me how strong the rotations are during the 3rd and 4th year at University of Health Sciences at Kansas City (D.O. program)? Information such as rotation locations, quality of rotations, quality of hospitals, etc. would be of tremendous help. Thank you.

2. J.Duke

J.Duke Junior Member

Doesn't matter where you go, the rotations are only as strong or as weak as you make them.

You get out of an education what you put into it.

...and all of those other cliches.

Unfortunately these cliches have remained alive because there is some truth to each of them. Yes you may have a rotation where the students outnumber the patients, but in that situation you as a student have the responsibility to be pro-active and get in the middle of patient care.

J.Duke

3. Kent Ray

Kent Ray Member
    10+ Year Member

J. Duke,
    Sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Good rotations sometimes have nothing to do with your ability or work ethic. If you all you are doing during your rotation is following some physician around without active teaching, your rotation will suck. Please read my post about the Des Moines school. This really applies to almost all the osteopathic schools. Hopefully we will be able to change things in the future.

Kent Ray

[This message has been edited by Kent Ray (edited 10-25-2000).]

4. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am a MS3 doing my rotations in KC. I have been very busy during my first 2 rotations. In both I have seen patients on my own, presented them to my preceptor, including my diagnosis and suggested treatment plan and then we both went in so that the preceptor could re-examine the patient. There was no following around and just observing. Since these two rotations were office based, my preceptors took the time to assign readings, which we then discussed. I appreciated that, more so because they both have very busy practices (as such there was never the opportunity to sit down and just stare at the wall). I was also able to observe and then perform some in office procedures.

5. J.Duke

J.Duke Junior Member

Kentray

It is apparent in your post about the Des Moines school that you expect to be spoonfed by someone that is labeled a teacher.

Unfortunately the clerkship style of learning is not taylored to that desire. You must ask questions to learn.

I understand that not every rotation is going to be fantastic, but the truth still stands: You will get out of an education what you put into it.

J. Duke

6. Kent Ray

Kent Ray Member
    10+ Year Member

J. Duke,
    It is not my place to say that you don't know what you are talking about as I did in my last message.
    I would say that you are a third or fourth year student. I would also say that I hope you do well in the future.
    In my thrid and fourth years I was educated in several hopitals both MD and DO. In this time I have found that the education at DO hospitals is not what I am looking for.
    As you know I am now completing a transitional year internship at Bi-conty/Henry Ford. While at Bi county (Osteopathic) their are no bedside rounds, no teaching rounds, and if you are lucky a physician will set down with you for 20min once a week. I don't blame the physicians because they are not paid to teach and are very busy with their practices. On the other hand at Henry Ford (allopathic) you have both teaching rounds, and bedside rounds. This type of teaching is the most effective and benificial.
    Again it dosen't matter how motivated you are or if you want to be spoon fed or not. Medical education consists of a person of knowledge taking the time to train you. If harrisons could train a physician than I wouldn't have anything to complain about.

7. roesnerna

roesnerna Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

UHS2002,

Don't mean to post on other people's messages, but I would really like to ask you some questions about UHS....I've been accepted and I want to make sure that I make the right choice.

If you don't mind, please eamil me at the following address ([email protected]) regarding these questions.

1. How you liked the school, faculty, etc.

2. Very important to me is the quality of the OMT program, what did you think?

3. Also, how do you like KC? I've never lived in the midwest and need to know what to expect.

Thanks,

RNA