3rd party material/ anki for preclinicals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moldydorito

Reaction score
Hopefully this is the right place to post. I'm a few weeks into my first year and so far I've just been doing all the class material provided by my school (live/recorded lectures, class problems). I'm wondering when and how I should incorporate outside materials into my study routine. So far I have access to boards&beyond, First Aid, and I am familiar with Pathoma/Sketchy. My school's curriculum has us doing anatomy, biochem/metabolism, and histology right now. I like studying with Anki so I've been making my own cards based on material in my class lecture slides (although it is pretty time consuming making my own cards). I also have the Anking deck downloaded but haven't really figured out how to incorporate that into my studying yet. Any tips on which resources to use? How much time should I be spending watching class lecture slides and how much doing outside stuff? And when watching a lecture on 2x should I be taking notes/making anki cards or just trying to focus and absorb as much as info purely by listening? Oh and when reviewing anking cards should I read all the extra info they include on the back of the card (FA, sketchy, additional info), or just reveal the cloze deletion and go on to the next card? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
this will all depend on the type of tests your school has.

nbme?--> ditch school completely and use outside resources. this is what I do. B and Beyond, pathoma, sketchy, anking and practice questions

professor written--> study first from outside resources and then go through lectures to get professor specific BS (this is at least what I do). I take about 3 weeks to go through everything outside and then like a week to skim through professor lectures and make Anki cards on stuff that I don't know. pretty annoying but has to be done

My school has a mix of both nbme and professor written exams. using the methods above I get like 90%+ on nbme and around 70-80% on professor written garbage.

Hopefully this is the right place to post. I'm a few weeks into my first year and so far I've just been doing all the class material provided by my school (live/recorded lectures, class problems). I'm wondering when and how I should incorporate outside materials into my study routine. So far I have access to boards&beyond, First Aid, and I am familiar with Pathoma/Sketchy. My school's curriculum has us doing anatomy, biochem/metabolism, and histology right now. I like studying with Anki so I've been making my own cards based on material in my class lecture slides (although it is pretty time consuming making my own cards). I also have the Anking deck downloaded but haven't really figured out how to incorporate that into my studying yet. Any tips on which resources to use? How much time should I be spending watching class lecture slides and how much doing outside stuff? And when watching a lecture on 2x should I be taking notes/making anki cards or just trying to focus and absorb as much as info purely by listening? Oh and when reviewing anking cards should I read all the extra info they include on the back of the card (FA, sketchy, additional info), or just reveal the cloze deletion and go on to the next card? Thanks!
Something that might save you some time, is getting good at looking up cards by tags/decks. The Anking has some super good videos on how to search for relevant cards. This will save you time in regards to making your own cards. You can find relevant cards and then add some stuff if you need to. I’m just in our anatomy block right now, so I’m looking forward to our biochemistry block to start and being able to find and start utilizing the Anking pre-made deck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Something that might save you some time, is getting good at looking up cards by tags/decks. The Anking has some super good videos on how to search for relevant cards. This will save you time in regards to making your own cards. You can find relevant cards and then add some stuff if you need to. I’m just in our anatomy block right now, so I’m looking forward to our biochemistry block to start and being able to find and start utilizing the Anking pre-made deck.
heads up their are some decent zanki cards on some clinically relevant musculoskeletal stuff (example cards about carpal tunnel) you could start look at that stuff during anatomy. Just a thought

heads up their are some decent zanki cards on some clinically relevant musculoskeletal stuff (example cards about carpal tunnel) you could start look at that stuff during anatomy. Just a thought
really? I have just been using a deck from an M2 at my school. I hadn't even thought to look through Zanki for anatomy stuff. Thanks for the heads up!!