3rd time applicant, 23 DAT, 3.6 GPA, no acceptance, advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xuzoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm from California. I am an Asian male.

My GPA is 3.55 average GPA, 3.69 sGPA. (with an upward trend, but only Cum Laude).

DAT Scores are: PAT: 21, QR: 24, RC, 22, Biology: 18, GChem: 20, Ochem: 30, TS:20, AA: 23.

I did Organic Chemistry research for three years in undergrad and had a letter of recommendation from her as well as another professor in my lab that I had taken courses with. (Two Science LOR fulfilled).

I have done thousands of hours of volunteer work as well as having had been President of one of the volunteer clubs on campus during my undergraduate years. (Close to home as well as overseas).

I have been working at a dental office as a sterilization technician for the last 2-3 years, and have also been shadowing the doctors there ever since 3-4 years ago. I have also gotten my two letters of recommendation from the two doctors there. (Last two Doctor LOR fulfilled).

I honestly think that the people who wrote my LOR's like me and did not write terrible LOR's for me.

I believe my personal statement was well written and inspiring and would love to have someone read over it if possible to maybe point out a major red flag?

Last year I applied to 9 schools total, but had interviews at 7, which are the following:
USC, NYU, Western, Tufts, NSU, UCSF, and UNLV.
I got waitlisted at all those schools and was eventually rejected.
I had emailed, called, and even visited the schools and they offered me no advice but to say that there were just too few spots open and advised me to apply again.
I ended up coming to the conclusion that these schools simply didn't like me at the interview so I got a lot of interview help for the coming cycle.

This year, I applied to 15 schools 2 months late though due to DAT retake. All the California ones, NYU, Tufts, BU, LECOM, NSU, UNLV, Roseman, UPenn, Columbia. I have had three interviews so far at LECOM, NSU, and UNLV pre-Dec. I also got waitlisted at all three of these schools on Dec 1st. I honestly thought I had a great interview for UNLV and NSU, and now I just don't know what to do. If anyone could give me any advice as to how to proceed, I would be extremely grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The issue appears to be with interviews. You've been a member of SDN and a helpful one at that for a while, so I'll make this offer for you:

If you would like, I can set up a mock interview and question you. I have enjoyed a high success rate (acceptance/interviews offered) this cycle.

PM me and we can set up a Skype call or FaceTime, whichever is more convenient for you.

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're receiving interviews, its unlikely an issue with your application and likely one with your interviewing skills. I'd ask a dentist or dental student to do a mock interview with me and see if they pick up on any red flags. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
If you're receiving interviews, its unlikely an issue with your application and likely one with your interviewing skills. I'd ask a dentist or dental student to do a mock interview with me and see if they pick up on any red flags. Good luck!

I'd agree with this as well, since your stats are more than competitive enough.

I would say interviews as well. Probably something you mentioned to the interviewers....

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I will be working on my interview skills a lot more then. Thanks guys!

Reactions: 1 user
first time applied really late. like October. applied only to california schools and NYU. Interviewed at USC and NYU. DAT was 20 AA before.

The issue appears to be with interviews. You've been a member of SDN and a helpful one at that for a while, so I'll make this offer for you:

If you would like, I can set up a mock interview and question you. I have enjoyed a high success rate (acceptance/interviews offered) this cycle.

PM me and we can set up a Skype call or FaceTime, whichever is more convenient for you.
THE NINJA IS REVEALING HIMSELF?! Count me in ;). Also at OP. Im so shocked those stats are really solid. I am not getting that many interviews but I fear reapplying. Best of luck to us both.

THE NINJA IS REVEALING HIMSELF?! Count me in ;). Also at OP. Im so shocked those stats are really solid. I am not getting that many interviews but I fear reapplying. Best of luck to us both.

The Ninja strives to aid his fellow SDNers who contribute a lot. XuZoo is one such SDNer, so the Ninja is doing everything in his power to aid XuZoo.

Reactions: 6 users
The Ninja strives to aid his fellow SDNers who contribute a lot. XuZoo is one such SDNer, so the Ninja is doing everything in his power to aid XuZoo.
You should help me if I don't get in this cycle ^_^

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah you're a much bigger one... If you even qualify as that O_O

LBS, it pains me that you weren't accepted. You are one of the nicest, most humble people here. It's people like you that the dental profession so desperately needs.

I'm sending good vibes your way. Rooting for you, my friend.

Reactions: 7 users
LBS, it pains me that you weren't accepted. You are one of the nicest, most humble people here. It's people like you that the dental profession so desperately needs.

I'm sending good vibes your way. Rooting for you, my friend.
Thanks bud :D. Well I try to be nice but sometimes I'm a jerk too I won't deny it haha

Incis0r is offering to unmask himself to you!

Reactions: 3 users
So, I'm from California. I am an Asian male.

My GPA is 3.55 average GPA, 3.69 sGPA. (with an upward trend, but only Cum Laude).

DAT Scores are: PAT: 21, QR: 24, RC, 22, Biology: 18, GChem: 20, Ochem: 30, TS:20, AA: 23.

I did Organic Chemistry research for three years in undergrad and had a letter of recommendation from her as well as another professor in my lab that I had taken courses with. (Two Science LOR fulfilled).

I have done thousands of hours of volunteer work as well as having had been President of one of the volunteer clubs on campus during my undergraduate years. (Close to home as well as overseas).

I have been working at a dental office as a sterilization technician for the last 2-3 years, and have also been shadowing the doctors there ever since 3-4 years ago. I have also gotten my two letters of recommendation from the two doctors there. (Last two Doctor LOR fulfilled).

I honestly think that the people who wrote my LOR's like me and did not write terrible LOR's for me.

I believe my personal statement was well written and inspiring and would love to have someone read over it if possible to maybe point out a major red flag?

Last year I applied to 9 schools total, but had interviews at 7, which are the following:
USC, NYU, Western, Tufts, NSU, UCSF, and UNLV.
I got waitlisted at all those schools and was eventually rejected.
I had emailed, called, and even visited the schools and they offered me no advice but to say that there were just too few spots open and advised me to apply again.
I ended up coming to the conclusion that these schools simply didn't like me at the interview so I got a lot of interview help for the coming cycle.

This year, I applied to 15 schools 2 months late though due to DAT retake. All the California ones, NYU, Tufts, BU, LECOM, NSU, UNLV, Roseman, UPenn, Columbia. I have had three interviews so far at LECOM, NSU, and UNLV pre-Dec. I also got waitlisted at all three of these schools on Dec 1st. I honestly thought I had a great interview for UNLV and NSU, and now I just don't know what to do. If anyone could give me any advice on how to proceed, I would be extremely grateful.
so I cannot offer any advice since I haven't even applied yet nor have I even finished school. But, I sincerely wish you the best and I hope that Incis0r can help you with your interview and give you some good tips! I really hope that you get into the school that you want or at least you get in somewhere you applied! BEST OF LUCK!

Oh wow, I'm honestly shocked this happened to you since I thought you were an exceptionally strong applicant at our UNLV interview. How often did you keep in contact/express interest with your wait listed schools last year? I know NYU does in fact keep tabs on how often and frequently their waitlisters keep in contact and that this does have a significant bearing on acceptance status.

Oh wow, I'm honestly shocked this happened to you since I thought you were an exceptionally strong applicant at our UNLV interview. How often did you keep in contact/express interest with your wait listed schools last year? I know NYU does in fact keep tabs on how often and frequently their waitlisters keep in contact and that this does have a significant bearing on acceptance status.
I kept in contact with most of the schools every month or so. I guess I'll send an email NYU's way, I haven't received an interview from them.

Incisor, you continue to be one of, if not the, best SDNers out there. Best wishes, luck, and vibes your way. Tons of respect for you- continue to be the mensch you've been.

Incisor, you continue to be one of, if not the, best SDNers out there. Best wishes, luck, and vibes your way. Tons of respect for you- continue to be the mensch you've been.

In the middle of several exhausting final exam preparation sessions - this message from you made my day. Thank you so much.

7/9 interviews and then 3/15, even after your stats improved?

I think that applying early was a big factor. I have 5 now though. Aha. I just wanna go anywhere

Last year, I applied when it opened and this time two months late.

Feel free to mail me your PS and I'll read it over.

I'd also agree with everyone else who mentioned interviews, as that seems to be where your timeline falls apart. I know you've had a couple offers for mock interviews, but I'd be happy to help there as well. I personally had huge struggles with that aspect of the process when I applied, so I worked with an dental school admissions committee member one-on-one for several weeks to practice and I'd be happy to pass on any advice they gave me.

The other thing I noticed: maybe it's the schools you applied to? You have a mix of prestigious, in-demand schools and "safety schools", but only a few that are in-between. That isn't necessarily the mix you want. Prestigious schools might decline acceptance if an applicant doesn't match this year's standards or because there's no room while schools known for being safety schools sometimes will decline acceptance if they think an applicant is too competitive (why waste their time if you're likely to go elsewhere?). I'd consider replacing a few schools in there or going outside of your geographic comfort zone. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Maybe one of your LOR writers betrayed you..? :nono:

Maybe one of your LOR writers betrayed you..? :nono:

I enslaved myself to her every need since my sophmore year. I'm pretty sure she didn't do that.. I think.. I hope.

Feel free to mail me your PS and I'll read it over.

I'd also agree with everyone else who mentioned interviews, as that seems to be where your timeline falls apart. I know you've had a couple offers for mock interviews, but I'd be happy to help there as well. I personally had huge struggles with that aspect of the process when I applied, so I worked with an dental school admissions committee member one-on-one for several weeks to practice and I'd be happy to pass on any advice they gave me.

The other thing I noticed: maybe it's the schools you applied to? You have a mix of prestigious, in-demand schools and "safety schools", but only a few that are in-between. That isn't necessarily the mix you want. Prestigious schools might decline acceptance if an applicant doesn't match this year's standards or because there's no room while schools known for being safety schools sometimes will decline acceptance if they think an applicant is too competitive (why waste their time if you're likely to go elsewhere?). I'd consider replacing a few schools in there or going outside of your geographic comfort zone. Just a thought.

I'll PM you my PS. What's considered a medium school exactly? I actually did apply to more schools literally a week ago. One of the schools, UDM, offered me an interview today. I was pretty surprised since it is so late

Thanks for the responses guys. I really do appreciate it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I really do appreciate it.

My friend, you are going to have a successful application cycle.

My friend, you are going to have a successful application cycle.
Thanks for the mock interview! It was so helpful. You honestly sound like a dental interviewer already.

Thanks for the mock interview! It was so helpful. You honestly sound like a dental interviewer already.

How do you know I'm not an admissions officer disguised as a pre-dent? ;)

I actually don't....

Best of luck for this application cycle!

I don't know. I don't think they will ever reject someone based on a personal statement being just OK or not impressive. Unless someone really makes stupid and silly comments that are just hard to let go. and I don't think you did that, but I don't mind reading your personal statement if you want.

You already got interviews, so they like you as
John Doe,

Until the see you, then something changes. You don't pass their ridiculous test of deciding if the person is good enough based on an interview engineered to make us lose.
I would suggest you utilize the help of your career center at your school, my school career center allow us to schedule mock interviews as much as we want. But then you have already done that, right!

So this brings us back to your GPA
Take more classes and improve it, as harsh as my comment might be, but at the end of the day, most schools deal with numbers.
You are a great candidate, but there are Ke or Re who are as great as you but with better gpas and dat score, and plus they like them better because they did better in their interviews for whatever reason.
They have their sets of numbers, they have different numbers for every race, female or male, they don't compare us fairly. They have their different outlook on things.

I am sorry for bringing race into this, I am sorry for making you feel less than others, you are not less than others, You are awesome, but this what goes on their mind. Because they calculate everything.

My other Suggestion:

Is doing something extraordinary to make you stand out!
Like go abroad and help in a crisis or something. A month of your life, go to somewhere in Asia or Central America that need help but not as dangerous as a war zone.
Some poor places that need all the help they can get, go there and help! Learn their language, explore, grow and come back as a totally different person, then their interview won't suck again, because you had the experience of your life, you've seen the world, you made a change, and you matter, and they can reject you if they want, but at the end of the day, you are mature enough to make them see that this won't break you.

I hope you get accepted! You deserve it!
Ps. Apply to not so selective schools or private ones next time, there might be some concerns regarding your financials. but I hope there won't be next time, and they call you today or tomorrow to tell you, you are in!

Last edited:
I think I met you at our UNLV interview (Sept 23rd). I hope you hear good news soon! You definitely have worked very hard and deserve it man.