3rd Time Reapplicant - Advice on what to do Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raffalaffi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I really need some advice on what to do about my application. I am a bit desperate at this point, so I am going to be very thorough with describing my app and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! My academic advisor is very busy with the current post-bac class, so she is hard to come by. If anyone on here has the time to give me some serious detailed advice and analysis of my app, I would be very appreciative!

Stats:
Asian Male
undergrad sGPA: 3.26
undergrad cGPA: 3.34 (May 2014)
Graduate GPA 3.74 (from the Johns Hopkins HSI Post-bac program in May 2015, this is a separate Masters GPA)
MCAT: 25 (dec 2014), 509 (May 2015; B/B 129, C/P 128, CARS 127, P/S 125)

Work/Activities:
Paid Employment - Not Medical/Clinical
-Convenience Store Clerk (4,000 hrs, during high school and half of college)
-Equal Opportunity Assistant w/ the US DOL (2008 hrs, for 2 years in college, helped address racial/gender discrimination in the US labor force)
Paid Employment - Medical/Clinical
-ER Scribe (1,100 hours, during post-bac program)
-Clinical Research Assistant (full-time, will be starting next week at Hopkins Hospital)
Community Service - Not Medical/Clinical
-GED Tutoring and Computer Literacy Training (300 hrs, at a community center in an underserved area, still doing this currently)
Community Service - Med/Clinical
-Pediatric ER Volunteer (112 hrs, during undergrad)
-Health Insurance Counselor (150 hrs, doing this currently at a free health clinic, help individuals living in underserved areas sign up for medicaid, learn about health insurance and purchase insurance on the marketplace)
Shadowing
-Orthopedic Surgeon (75 hrs), Cardiologist (75 hrs), thinking of shadowing a pcp in the future
Research
-Cardiovascular Research (3300 hrs, I began this as a volunteer after my postbac and it eventually became a paid position)
Publications
-2 Second Author Publications (1 is a review paper, 1 is a study), 1 First Author Publication (currently under review at journal)
Leadership
-Information Systems Council of Majors Board Member (72 hrs, was info sys major for a year in undergrad)
EC
-Health & Wellness Advocate with SGA (64 hrs, helped promote a healthier student body)
-Tennis Coaching & Nutritional Counseling (280 hrs, for 2 summers in undergrad, taught beginner level tennis to adults and kids. The class had a nutritional component where I taught how to eat healthy.)
Rec Letters: (received by amcas on july 14)
Committee Packet from Hopkins including : 2 Graduate Professors, 1 Undergrad Professor, Supervisor from US DOL, Supervisor from ER Volunteering, and 1 Letter from Research Mentor (Very strong letter, he is the division head of Cardio Med at Case Western)

2015-2016 Application Cycle Results: - my PS was crap this year and my work/activities were written like a resume, w/o any passion. Not surprised at how the cycle went. I applied to 4 DO schools as well this year, no IIs.

0 Interviews, 45 rejections. I won't list the schools, to keep this post shorter.

2016-2017 Application Cycle Results: - work/activities drastically rewritten, new personal statement, new research and publications

38 applications sent, 16 rejections, 2 Interviews (Dartmouth & RFU), pre-ii hold at my state school, the rest silent. Very surprised about dartmouth, not expecting to get in. Have been post-ii at dartmouth for 4 months and was rejected post-ii at RFU. No DO applications this year. Realistically, last year I was burned out by the time I finished my MD apps. No energy or money left for DO. Also, I work Full-time. Idk if I can find the time to shadow a DO for the necessary DO letter.
I am now considering what to do for next year. Nothing can be done about my uGPA, so my idea is that if I get a higher MCAT score, it will help ADCOMS overlook my GPA, although I think my gradGPA is good. My MCAT score is valid for one more year. My advisor says that my MCAT score is good. She said that a retake would be risky because I have good scores for 3 of the sections except P/S and that while I may improve my P/S score, my other sections may drop. So aside, from an MCAT retake, all I can think of is rewriting my work/activities and Personal Statement again. I am currently studying for the MCAT in my free time, for a potential retake in May/June. I am also brainstorming new ideas for my Personal Statement. I am willing to share my PS and work/activity descriptions over PM if anyone wants to have a look.

But all in all, I really have no idea what to do! I would appreciate advice from anybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Fellow 3rd time applicant here! From what I've seen (and from my own personal experience) is that successful re-applicants have tons of service and clinical hours (like hours in the hundreds and some even in the thousands) so I would def. continue to do those things.

For me, it was a matter of applying as early as possible this cycle and making sure I gave 200% on my PS and secondary essays to "make up" for my low stats. I also applied to the schools whose mission matched my personal/professional goals as a physician (regardless of stats) and I was pleasantly surprised. I think the fact that you have gotten interviews shows that your stats may not be holding you back!

Are you using your ECs to demonstrate/write about your motivation/personal goals? & then matching them to the schools' mission and values?

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be blunt here in hopes it will help -- The mental picture I get from what you've written is of someone who works very hard and diligently to reach performance levels that are just satisfactory. You haven't failed or screwed up, but it seems to take all you've got to reach where you are., which is somewhat below the average for accepted students. This means you will need to target your applications to schools that will really value your hard work and persistence, and will choose you over higher-stat applicants for some particular reason.

You mentioned that some of the areas you volunteered in are under-served and that you did some EEOC work. Have you applied to schools with large URM populations? Schools with strong service missions? What about schools with a mission to churn out PCPs for rural areas? -- Any activities that would support an interest in that kind of career? I'd definitely shadow several different PCPs and mine your experiences for 'talking points' you can use in your PS and interviews.

I'll also suggest a very strong push for DO next cycle if this cycle doesn't pan out. You've never really given DO a fair shot and your numbers are strong for DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are not accepted this year then apply in June to at least 20 DO schools and you should receive several interviews. Your stats are competitive for the most DO schools. You may need a DO LOR for some schools so fine a DO to shadow before June.

Fellow 3rd time applicant here! From what I've seen (and from my own personal experience) is that successful re-applicants have tons of service and clinical hours (like hours in the hundreds and some even in the thousands) so I would def. continue to do those things.

For me, it was a matter of applying as early as possible this cycle and making sure I gave 200% on my PS and secondary essays to "make up" for my low stats. I also applied to the schools whose mission matched my personal/professional goals as a physician (regardless of stats) and I was pleasantly surprised. I think the fact that you have gotten interviews shows that your stats may not be holding you back!

Are you using your ECs to demonstrate/write about your motivation/personal goals? & then matching them to the schools' mission and values?
Thank you very much for the advice. I really enjoy the service work that I do now and will definitely continue. My letters were in on July 15; my first secondary was submitted early July and last secondary went in 1st week of Sept. I definitely chose schools based on stats and mission, but I may not have done the best job expressing that through my essays. I think I did a fairly good job combining a description of my activities with why I did them, but I don't think I ever evaluate myself properly. If you have a few minutes to spare, would you mind glancing at my PS/work activities and sharing what you think?

I'll be blunt here in hopes it will help -- The mental picture I get from what you've written is of someone who works very hard and diligently to reach performance levels that are just satisfactory. You haven't failed or screwed up, but it seems to take all you've got to reach where you are., which is somewhat below the average for accepted students. This means you will need to target your applications to schools that will really value your hard work and persistence, and will choose you over higher-stat applicants for some particular reason.

You mentioned that some of the areas you volunteered in are under-served and that you did some EEOC work. Have you applied to schools with large URM populations? Schools with strong service missions? What about schools with a mission to churn out PCPs for rural areas? -- Any activities that would support an interest in that kind of career? I'd definitely shadow several different PCPs and mine your experiences for 'talking points' you can use in your PS and interviews.

I'll also suggest a very strong push for DO next cycle if this cycle doesn't pan out. You've never really given DO a fair shot and your numbers are strong for DO.
Your mental picture definitely fits the person who I was in the latter half of undergrad haha. Back then, I always spread myself thin with activities/work/school, never got accustomed to succeeding with a lot on my plate at once, and thus had satisfactory performance in what I did. I think I am better now. I think all schools value hard work and persistence and I definitely emphasized that in my app. My advisor also emphasized it in her committee letter. I applied very broadly, based on stats an missions. Based on my EEOC work and service with underserved areas, I targeted schools with strong service missions like Cooper (rejected), Rush (silent), EVMS (silent) etc. I haven't had any rural medical exposure, so I did not target schools focused on producing rural PCPs.

I attached my school list, if you would like to take a look.
If you are not accepted this year then apply in June to at least 20 DO schools and you should receive several interviews. Your stats are competitive for the most DO schools. You may need a DO LOR for some schools so fine a DO to shadow before June.
In regards to DO, I am leaning towards it now. I had a DO letter 2 cycles ago (when my entire primary was written very poorly), so I think I may be able to contact said DO and have him update the letter.

Thank you both very very much for the insight!

Attachments

• School List.pdf
    39.6 KB · Views: 73
@Ayy_MadScientist @DokterMom @Faha

So do you all think I don't need to retake the MCAT, if I applied both DO and MD this upcoming cycle? Also, I think regardless of what I do, my PS will definitely need some revamping.

Thank you very much for the advice. I really enjoy the service work that I do now and will definitely continue. My letters were in on July 15; my first secondary was submitted early July and last secondary went in 1st week of Sept. I definitely chose schools based on stats and mission, but I may not have done the best job expressing that through my essays. I think I did a fairly good job combining a description of my activities with why I did them, but I don't think I ever evaluate myself properly. If you have a few minutes to spare, would you mind glancing at my PS/work activities and sharing what you think?
Sure! PM me and I'll take a look and give you my general opinions on it. :)
but FYI I am not some fancy shmancy writer lol. :rolleyes:

You do not need to retake the MCAT as your current score is fine for all DO schools and some MD schools.
I don't think you need to retake the MCAT either. & if you score lower, it might actually work against you.
Alright! I think I will take a brief break from the MCAT application and spend some time working on my PS and primary app responses.

Sure! PM me and I'll take a look and give you my general opinions on it. :)
but FYI I am not some fancy shmancy writer lol. :rolleyes:
Thank You! Haha I know, but I've seen some of your posts on here and I get the sense that you really know what you're doing, much more so than me lol. I'll send you the stuff in a few!

I agree that retaking the MCAT is risky and may not be worth it because your scores are good.

getting more feedback on your PS and secondaries seems to be a move worth making. plus making sure the secondary turnaround time is short. would also be happy to take a look at your PS if you're looking for another pair of eyeballs.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest the following:

Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons
Your state school.

Hey Everyone,
I really need some advice on what to do about my application. I am a bit desperate at this point, so I am going to be very thorough with describing my app and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! My academic advisor is very busy with the current post-bac class, so she is hard to come by. If anyone on here has the time to give me some serious detailed advice and analysis of my app, I would be very appreciative!

I agree that retaking the MCAT is risky and may not be worth it because your scores are good.

getting more feedback on your PS and secondaries seems to be a move worth making. plus making sure the secondary turnaround time is short. would also be happy to take a look at your PS if you're looking for another pair of eyeballs.
I plan to revamp my PS and essays, regardless of what else I do. However, for the MCAT retake, I have been studying for the past month, and remember quite a good bit of information. I am also still doing good on CARS passages, despite not having practiced for 2 years. I have 4-5 more months left to study as well, which is why I am personally not too worried about my score getting any lower. But you never know with the MCAT, right lol.

I suggest the following:
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons
Your state school.

I applied to almost all of those schools, except Miami, St. Louis, MCW, Creighton, Tulane and Uniformed Services. I definitely plan on applying DO now too. I do have a concern about DO that maybe you could shed some light on. I have had a DO letter in the past, from an ER physician I scribed with. It was written with the intent of being for DO school. But I do not have any DO shadowing hours. Do you know if that matters? I feel like schools won't care for that DO letter if none of my work/activities were shadowing a DO.

That will be OK. BUT, I strongly recommend shadowing a DO. How do you have the letter? Was this your family doc? Or a friend? If it's a relative, it won't count and could be used against you.

I have had a DO letter in the past, from an ER physician I scribed with. It was written with the intent of being for DO school. But I do not have any DO shadowing hours. Do you know if that matters? I feel like schools won't care for that DO letter if none of my work/activities were shadowing a DO.[/QUOTE]

That will be OK. BUT, I strongly recommend shadowing a DO. How do you have the letter? Was this your family doc? Or a friend? If it's a relative, it won't count and could be used against you.

I have had a DO letter in the past, from an ER physician I scribed with. It was written with the intent of being for DO school. But I do not have any DO shadowing hours. Do you know if that matters? I feel like schools won't care for that DO letter if none of my work/activities were shadowing a DO.
[/QUOTE]

I worked as a scribe in an Emergency Room for 1.5 years. One of the ER physicians I worked with was a DO and offered to write me a letter. I only have a professional relationship with him, nothing personal.

It should be OK.

I worked as a scribe in an Emergency Room for 1.5 years. One of the ER physicians I worked with was a DO and offered to write me a letter. I only have a professional relationship with him, nothing personal.[/QUOTE]