3rd year appearance - hair, looks, discrimination?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which groups, if any, were subject to unfair stereotypes during rotations based on appearance?

• Attractive Men

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Average Men

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unattractive Men

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Attractive Women

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Average Women

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Unattractive Women

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • None - Attractiveness is not a factor

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

greenflower

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently got into a discussion with some friends about who does the best appearance wise during rotations. I've heard some people say the attractive, well-groomed feminine types did unfairly well (rated highly by men), but others say that they were unfairly discriminated against for being dumb or too sensitive. Basically this all came about after one very pretty blonde girl who said she dyed her hair light brown and wore glasses on rotations to be taken more seriously - she swears it's why she did well. This caused quite a reaction from many who said she would have done better if she had gone even blonder or red (something to stand out).

Anyway, I hadn't really thought of this factor too much before and I was wondering what people's thoughts are here? Did people see discrimination based on physical appearance/attractiveness? And I don't mean blatantly unprofessional looks - like visible tattoos or super short skirts. I'm just wondering if it really makes such a difference with something as trivial (and uncontrollable) as attractiveness, hair color, height, or wearing glasses?

Members don't see this ad.

Prettier people will always do better, unless your preceptor is a spiteful douche. However, if you're exceptionally beautiful, toning it down might be the smart way to go.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's simple. This isn't a medicine thing, it's a human thing.

Being good looking helps almost always. Nothing is 100%, you'll find some women who like men with beer guts...

Being a good looking female and receiving evals from men helps the most. As stated above, all bets are off for females on OB.

I wouldn't over think this. Present yourself the best you can, that's all you can control. Focus on things you can control.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with all of the above.

The effect of appearance is more powerful than I think we tend to give it credit for. When it comes to pleasing supervisors attractiveness is generally good up until the point where you become a threat. For instance, short men have often given me trouble by no fault of my own. Male supervising physicians, unless confident or with a sense of humor, are not comfortable trying to convey authority while looking at my tits or stomach, no matter how deferential I try to be.

I think the girl who made herself less threatening and more serious appearing might very well have had the right insight. But attractiveness will almost always convey competence and intelligence and skill that one may or may not possess. The lies we tell ourselves about how unimpeachably balanced and fair-minded we are, just offer more cover for these biases to act in full force. Attendings, I've come to observe, seem to misplace their clinical competence and mastery, into believing themselves above these baser notions--and in so doing participate in them incorrigibly.

I think some of the mistakes 3rd years typically make are to have ridiculous haircuts with lots of gel, huge ostentatious watches, short skirts and cleavage, too much make up and/or perfume/cologne, wearing clothes that are more ultra fashionable than stylish--super skinny cock buldge showing pants in pastel colors. Or perhaps worse looking unkempt, sloppy, and too casual. These are all things you can most control and modulate. If you're not clueless or just don't give an F that is.

Reactions: 1 users
Male supervising physicians, unless confident or with a sense of humor, are not comfortable trying to convey authority while looking at my tits or stomach, no matter how deferential I try to be.

Wait… Nasrudin is a 6 foot chick? Or are these man ta-tas you speak of?

Wait… Nasrudin is a 6 foot chick? Or are these man ta-tas you speak of?
:laugh:. Yes, man teets. Such as they are--more muscle and fur than tit I suppose.

:laugh:. Yes, man teets. Such as they are--more muscle and fur than tit I suppose.
Attendings couldn't handle the powerful pectorals of their underlings!

Attendings couldn't handle the powerful pectorals of their underlings!

Well. Variably so, yes. Not that I'm that powerful. It's just rough out there for short men. But I can't do anything about it except avoid the insecure ones as much as possible. Until I'm attending and it no longer matters.

I think the girl who made herself less threatening and more serious appearing might very well have had the right insight.

There are many who would agree with you; I was told to "nerd it up" for my ABS oral surgery board examination in an effort to appear more serious than my usual appearance provides.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many who would agree with you; I was told to "nerd it up" for my ABS oral surgery board examination in an effort to appear more serious than my usual appearance provides.

Yeah I'm a fan of Robert Greene's 48 Laws of Power which describe this process among others. I've read more research on the psychology of dress, because I've been trying to become a good dresser and have become fascinated by how it communicates things about us. But, managing your looks is an interesting topic as well.

It seems pretty blondes might have more use for disguise in some situations, however unfortunate that hassle is. What can we hope to expect from clothed apes with stethoscopes?

Last edited:
Well. Variably so, yes. Not that I'm that powerful. It's just rough out there for short men. But I can't do anything about it except avoid the insecure ones as much as possible. Until I'm attending and it no longer matters.

Nasrudin,
How tall are you?

BTW, I love the way you write.

Nasrudin,
How tall are you?

Well that's nice of you. But I get flak for it that frankly I can see good reason for. But...appreciate it because I'm gonna keep on being ridiculous. Umm...I'm 6'5". Or at least was. I'm probably shorter now them I'm older.

I've squired for physicians a lot longer than just med school so my sample size for making these generalization is larger than your average bear.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's nice if you. But I get flak for it that frankly I can see good reason for. But...appreciate it because I'm gonna keep on being ridiculous. Umm...I'm 6'5". Or at least was. I'm probably shorter now them I'm older.

I've squired for physicians a lot longer than just med school so my sample size for making these generalization is larger than your average bear.

How old are you? When did you start medical school?

I can imagine on Surgery being pretty can lead to others - residents, attendings to not take you seriously when first coming into contact with you (Just ask Dr. Greenfield: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...on-resigns-post-after-backlash-over-editorial), or be unnecessarily hard on you. I'm guessing the nerd glasses came out for your oral surgery board exam.
Hipster-Glasses.jpg

I can imagine on Surgery being pretty can lead to others - residents, attendings to not take you seriously when first coming into contact with you (Just ask Dr. Greenfield: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...on-resigns-post-after-backlash-over-editorial), or be unnecessarily hard on you. I'm guessing the nerd glasses came out for your oral surgery board exam.
Hipster-Glasses.jpg
Glasses were suggested but I was afraid Id spend a lot of time adjusting them (not being used to wearing vision correction).

BTW there's a meme I posted in the Surgery forum commenting on the Greenfield debacle.

Glasses were suggested but I was afraid Id spend a lot of time adjusting them (not being used to wearing vision correction).

BTW there's a meme I posted in the Surgery forum commenting on the Greenfield debacle.
Just saw it! LOL. Love the sad face that goes with it.

It was more of a face of disgust rather than sadness (at least that was the original emotion when the photo was first taken).

I tried to find the joke. Even went to the surgery forum for the first time in my life. But I couldn't find it. It seems like there's the circle of funny over there and I'm over here.

For instance who is greenfield and what is his/her debacle...?

It was more of a face of disgust rather than sadness (at least that was the original emotion when the photo was first taken).
OMG, just realized it's you!!!! I thought the image was a stock photo like Getty Images or something.

You are the one. sdn omnipotence is easy for you. all code and matrix.

Seriously though thanks. That was a weird story. And Winged scapula is hot. Actually I'm not sure if I'm glad I know that. But....there it is.
Yes, it was an editorial made in complete humor (I believe). I would not blame a female for being offended, however, and it would be wrong of me to say that a female shouldn't be offended. I think he inadvertently contributed even further to Surgery being thought of as being misogynistic by doing so.

@Winged Scapula confirmed hotty. Is it okay to hit on mods, or is that against the SDN TOS?

Hi all,
I recently got into a discussion with some friends about who does the best appearance wise during rotations. I've heard some people say the attractive, well-groomed feminine types did unfairly well (rated highly by men), but others say that they were unfairly discriminated against for being dumb or too sensitive. Basically this all came about after one very pretty blonde girl who said she dyed her hair light brown and wore glasses on rotations to be taken more seriously - she swears it's why she did well. This caused quite a reaction from many who said she would have done better if she had gone even blonder or red (something to stand out).

Anyway, I hadn't really thought of this factor too much before and I was wondering what people's thoughts are here? Did people see discrimination based on physical appearance/attractiveness? And I don't mean blatantly unprofessional looks - like visible tattoos or super short skirts. I'm just wondering if it really makes such a difference with something as trivial (and uncontrollable) as attractiveness, hair color, height, or wearing glasses?

Yes.

I tried to find the joke. Even went to the surgery forum for the first time in my life. But I couldn't find it. It seems like there's the circle of funny over there and I'm over here.

For instance who is greenfield and what is his/her debacle...?

Lazar Greenfield - retired former chair of surgery. Editor of one of the main surgery textbooks. Was president-elect of the American College of Surgeons. Wrote an editorial on Valentine's day about how semen made women happier, and women who were depressed needed more semen - or something of that nature. Was intended to be humorous. Caused a huge blowback and he had to resign from the position in the college.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...as-a-valentines-day-gift-in-editorial.813378/

I always suspected WS was hot. (I'm not hitting on you, I know you're straight)

So are we going with being an attractive blonde is an overall positive?

I always suspected WS was hot. (I'm not hitting on you, I know you're straight)

So are we going with being an attractive blonde is an overall positive?

:laugh:. I think it's contextual. For example I don't want weaponized hotness pointed in my direction. Like my prosecuting attorney if I had one. Or a spiteful ex wife who is robbing me blind. You don't want to be disarmed by hotness in these situations. It could be a focus of envy if one possesses it, but she's the boss now so it doesn't matter. Med students might be wise to deflect envy of residents (looking at you OB) or attendings.

But yeah I imagined her hot as well. It's just...she looks better than I imagined.

:laugh:. I think it's contextual. For example I don't want weaponized hotness pointed in my direction. Like my prosecuting attorney if I had one. Or a spiteful ex wife who is robbing me blind. You don't want to be disarmed by hotness in these situations. It could be a focus of envy if one possesses it, but she's the boss now so it doesn't matter. Med students might be wise to deflect envy of residents (looking at you OB) or attendings.

But yeah I imagined her hot as well. It's just...she looks better than I imagined.

I'm not one to be intimidated easily, especially by straight girls. I was more wondering if my attractiveness would be a net positive or negative.

I'm not one to be intimidated easily, especially by straight girls. I was more wondering if my attractiveness would be a net positive or negative.

Nice. It will always be a net positive throughout the life course and in most situations in your training. Everything I've seen in what the science has to say about it indicates that human biases in favor of the attractive among us is very dependable.

Not with female OB-Gyn residents. Your attractiveness puts a target on your back, esp. if you're nice and attractive.

Nasrudin,
How tall are you?

I agree with you here. Nas might just be my favorite poster, probably because any time I read what he writes, I picture it being spoken by that Monsterpiece theater-styled Kermit.

As for the topic; you gotta look good. Full stop. How many ugly derm chicks do you know? How many ugly family med chicks do you know? What's the average income for each of those fields?

I agree with you here. Nas might just be my favorite poster, probably because any time I read what he writes, I picture it being spoken by that Monsterpiece theater-styled Kermit.

As for the topic; you gotta look good. Full stop. How many ugly derm chicks do you know? How many ugly family med chicks do you know? What's the average income for each of those fields?

Very interesting perspectives! Although I always attributed the attractiveness the derm ladies to be related to the OCD qualities of the bunch - the ones I knew were more physically fit and well-groomed.

Thank you for all the kind comments on my picture; it's very flattering (especially since I was making a funny face in that one).

The return investment on being attractive puts one "in the black"; the benefits outweigh the negative aspects. There will be women who treat you poorly if they see you as a threat and there is always the assumption, at least upon first meeting, that your achievements have been gotten through sexual means. FWIW I don't recall any issues on Ob-Gyn personally so I'm not sure that's a universal experience.

But IMHO the human psychological research on attractiveness does tend to hold up with both males and females; patients and colleagues assume you are smarter, more successful, friendlier etc whether its true or not.

Reactions: 3 users
:laugh:. I think it's contextual. For example I don't want weaponized hotness pointed in my direction.

I don't want to spend any more time talking about my appearance, as doing so is somewhat distasteful for me to do, but wanted to comment about a related experience.

A few years ago I was sued for malpractice (dismissed in my favor) and my attorney talked about my appearance as a "weapon" in our arsenal. Backing up psychological theory, it was his experience (in over 30 years as a trial lawyer), that attractive defendants were treated better by Judge and jury because they were assumed to be more honest, successful etc. Thus it could be seen as a weapon against the plaintiffs. Apparently the only time this didn't work was with female criminal cases; what I referred to as the Black Dahlia effect.

I don't want to spend any more time talking about my appearance, as doing so is somewhat distasteful for me to do, but wanted to comment about a related experience.

A few years ago I was sued for malpractice (dismissed in my favor) and my attorney talked about my appearance as a "weapon" in our arsenal. Backing up psychological theory, it was his experience (in over 30 years as a trial lawyer), that attractive defendants were treated better by Judge and jury because they were assumed to be more honest, successful etc. Thus it could be seen as a weapon against the plaintiffs. Apparently the only time this didn't work was with female criminal cases; what I referred to as the Black Dahlia effect.

Very interesting. Thanks for relating this. I have my eye on forensic psychiatry and am always intrigued by law and medicine. Sorry if you were uncomfortable. I feel the same way whenever the subject matter focuses on me. Although to my thinly disguised disappointment, hotness, is something not broached in my regard as of yet.

Black Dahlia is an amazing story. James Ellroy's rendering of the subject matter is one of my favorite crime novels. I see what you mean there. Her beauty made her a ***** and villain and the subject matter of juicy lies.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Thanks for relating this. I have my eye in forensic psychiatry and am always intrigued by law and medicine. Sorry if you were uncomfortable. I feel the same way whenever the subject matter focuses on me. Although to my thinly disguised disappointment, hotness, is something not something broached in my regard as of yet.

I'm more uncomfortable talking about my own appearance rather than others doing it; it's difficult to discuss certain attributes without coming off as self involved and frankly since my appearance is due to inheritance, rather than something I worked to achieve, it seems pointless.

Black Dahlia is an amazing story. James Ellroy's rendering of the subject matter is one of favorite crime novels. I see what you mean there. Her beauty made her a ***** and villain and the subject matter of juicy lies.

Yes. Many women in film noir were also painted with the same brush. The good girl persona was always less conventionally attractive and interesting than the bad girl.

I will be the only one here to disagree...

Of course being attractive will help you with people who put value in such things - and I know a few physicians who do - but I do not feel it has that effect on everyone.

Then again, I can only see thru my perspective. I feel as if my problems with aspergers has allowed me to to judge people without involving emotions or nonverbal influences(also considered a weakness).

Maybe we only feel comfortable with women having 2/3 positive traits. Meaning we're okay with these ladies, and sadly probably even in this order:
hot, kind, dumb woman
plain looking, kind, smart woman
and even... hot, bitchy, smart woman (we may not want to date her, but we could potentially respect her)

However, if a woman is truly hot, kind, and smart - this seems to throw a wrench into how to categorize said female. I think it leaves people with a feeling that something must be amiss... like maybe she's so evil and manipulative she's tricking us all into thinking she's sweet, or that she's vapid and shallow, sleeping her way to the top, secretly a man, or something crazy to equalize the playing field. I say this fully aware that I probably am somewhat suspicious if I see what appears to be a 3/3 type, and usually just end up categorizing them as lacking of one of the three qualities after further interactions (perhaps unfairly?).

That said, I think if a guy is 3/3 (hot, kind, and smart) I think people just sort of want to elect him class president and give him gold stars.

Of course being attractive will help you with people who put value in such things - and I know a few physicians who do - but I do not feel it has that effect on everyone.

Then again, I can only see thru my perspective. I feel as if my problems with aspergers has allowed me to to judge people without involving emotions or nonverbal influences(also considered a weakness).
Interesting.

How would you then view the neuropsych studies on facial attractiveness where infants, without benefit of verbal or nonverbal cues or media influence, react more favorably to symmetrical classically attractive faces?

Very interesting. Thanks for that insight.

I think Nasrudin's post above nailed it - the ivory tower white coat attendings who think they are "above" these things are fooling themselves.

Now I would agree that someone on the autism spectrum likely has a very different way of interacting in the world and would not be subject to the same innate biases. But for the majority of attendings and residents, I think there is more of an influence than they would admit.