3rd year DO wondering what my chances are

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.sartorius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the interview season is well underway I was wondering from those applying to anesthesia this year (and prior years) what my chances are for anesthesia as a D.O. applicant. My USMLE step 1 score is a 230, not sure about my class rank. I understand as a D.O. applicant we are expected to score higher in order to be considered for similar positions, since i'm around last years anesthesia average, I'm wondering what type of residencies would consider me with this score (low tier/mid tier?). I'm working on a case study, I have some volunteer work along with leadership positions. I am originally from California and would prefer West coast residencies but I'm willing to go anywhere. Anyone with similar stats that can offer up some insight or examples of what places I may have a shot at? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
this topic has been discussed a ton, try to use the search function. With that being said, you will match. Apply to 50+ low-mid tiers. Out west seems to be very competitive/not DO friendly. Focus more on midwest, east coast, and the south

Since the interview season is well underway I was wondering from those applying to anesthesia this year (and prior years) what my chances are for anesthesia as a D.O. applicant. My USMLE step 1 score is a 230, not sure about my class rank. I understand as a D.O. applicant we are expected to score higher in order to be considered for similar positions, since i'm around last years anesthesia average, I'm wondering what type of residencies would consider me with this score (low tier/mid tier?). I'm working on a case study, I have some volunteer work along with leadership positions. I am originally from California and would prefer West coast residencies but I'm willing to go anywhere. Anyone with similar stats that can offer up some insight or examples of what places I may have a shot at? Thanks! :)

Chill

The thread is asking why it is not more competitive. The poster has no clue about anesthesiology.
I agree with you the poster is clueless, but some of the comments seem to mirror the doom and gloom on this site.

How do you feel about picking Gas - you looking forward to doing Periop medicine as an AMC employee, or you think things will get better?

I agree with you the poster is clueless, but some of the comments seem to mirror the doom and gloom on this site.

How do you feel about picking Gas - you looking forward to doing Periop medicine as an AMC employee, or you think things will get better?

"Doom and gloom?" Many have tried to post the truth about anesthesia on this site. If you read through the lines the facts are all there: salary, amcs, crna encroachment, stress, long call days on the weekends/holidays, etc.

"Doom and gloom?" Many have tried to post the truth about anesthesia on this site. If you read through the lines the facts are all there: salary, amcs, crna encroachment, stress, long call days on the weekends/holidays, etc.

Salary is good. Stress is there but less than other fields. Long call days are the same for all specialties and I'd argue that it's less stressful call days than other areas.

CRNA encroachment is going to happen. They have to save money somewhere and we're getting blamed for it.

Despite the increase in new medical schools, the # of students applying Anesthesiology this year has decreased by 100 applicants compared to last year; the LOWEST # of applicants since 2011.

ERAS 2010 ERAS 2011 ERAS 2012 ERAS 2013 ERAS 2014 ERAS 2015 ERAS 2016
1,646 1,602 1,682 1,699 1,678 1,711 1,613

The trend is clear: most Medical Students are risk averse and are avoiding anesthesiology because of concerns about being replaced by a Noctor with a fraction of their training.

In contrast, Internal Medicine and Psychiatry applications have risen. The latter by ~ 200 applicants.

The trend is clear: most Medical Students are risk averse and are avoiding anesthesiology because of concerns about being replaced by a Noctor with a fraction of their training.

In contrast, Internal Medicine and Psychiatry applications have risen. The latter by ~ 200 applicants.

There isn't much of a trend in those numbers and if anything, the numbers were going up

Thanks? I'm just looking for people with similar numbers to give input on places I can realistically get in to. As a DO unfortunately a 230 won't get me in to the same places as an MD with the same score would get.