3rd year elective location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaguar33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone with some firsthand experience can give some advice about my situation.

I'm interested in a competitive specialty that traditionally requires audition rotations. The only problem is that I dont have a home program...

With that said, would it be wise to do a 3rd year elective at a program with a residency for a potential LOR and some exposure? My only other option would be to rotate with a community doc at my base hospital. I will unfortunatly only really have 2, maybe 3, months suitable for auditons during 4th year. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

The advice I was given (n=1) is that it's a good idea if it's toward the end of the year and you'll know what you're doing, but a bad idea early in the year when you're still figuring everything out and can't be super useful yet.

Reactions: 1 users
The advice I was given (n=1) is that it's a good idea if it's toward the end of the year and you'll know what you're doing, but a bad idea early in the year when you're still figuring everything out and can't be super useful yet.

This. The only exception I'd make is if you are confident you could get a LOR despite how green you are, if you don't have a choice. It's risky to do it at a program you're planning to apply to, but it might be worth a shot. If you can do it as late as possible, you might get the best of both worlds.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the insight. Thats kind of what I was thinking, just wanted to throw it out there in case I was overlooking a major downside. Luckily it will be later in the year after the core rotations I'll need to not look like a complete idiot.