3rd year grades...still as important for rad onc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Datypicalpremed

Feed me Seymour!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a MD/PhD set on rad onc (at least for now) returning to 3rd year rediscovering how much of a subjective ****storm 3rd year grades are. Will spare y'all the rant, but with rad onc becoming less competitive, is it still crucial to have at least a few honors in your 3rd year clerkships to match into a top program?

And yes, I'm well aware of the current job market, outlook, etc, but still love the field and can be pretty stubborn. Plan is to go big (top 20ish programs) or go home. I would love to hear from anyone experienced in this (posted or PM) about my chances. If it helps, I do have a solid step 1 score (250), multiple pubs (a few first author basic science pubs not necessarily related to oncology, but I've been co-authored in several rad onc case reports and book chapters), and do have 1 honors, but probably will get only high pass for the rest of my rotations (due to an annoying grading system change my school implemented).

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
So I'm a MD/PhD set on rad onc (at least for now) returning to 3rd year rediscovering how much of a subjective ****storm 3rd year grades are. Will spare y'all the rant, but with rad onc becoming less competitive, is it still crucial to have at least a few honors in your 3rd year clerkships to match into a top program?

And yes, I'm well aware of the current job market, outlook, etc, but still love the field and can be pretty stubborn. Plan is to go big (top 20ish programs) or go home. I would love to hear from anyone experienced in this (posted or PM) about my chances. If it helps, I do have a solid step 1 score (250), multiple pubs (a few first author basic science pubs not necessarily related to oncology, but I've been co-authored in several rad onc case reports and book chapters), and do have 1 honors, but probably will get only high pass for the rest of my rotations (due to an annoying grading system change my school implemented).

Thanks in advance
Top 20 programs have enough capacity to take almost all us grads. Many such as Emory have been soaping while others are taking DOs. As mdphd you should be able to match in top 10 with zero honors.

Reactions: 5 users
I know my residency program was willing to overlook some Golden Era application-destroying factors last year, so I imagine an MD-PhD with a 250 Step 1 and multiple papers shouldn't have much of an issue matching. Standard caveat being that, no matter how far RadOnc or any specialty falls, there will always be superstars interested in a field for their own reasons, so it will never be a slam-dunk to match at the Anderson/HROP/Sloan programs of the world.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks in advance

Ah the good ole days of radonc where the top 1% med student neurotically worries about matching…

I missed these

in all seriousness @Datypicalpremed ppl will be worshipping your application given current climate regardless of your 3rd year grades

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Several students with failed rotations or failed step exams matched at great programs this year. Some of the programs who SOAPed refused to rank/interview these candidates, while other programs that did not SOAP (including top 10/20 programs) ranked/matched those candidates. Just do the best you can without losing your hair. You'll be fine. Caveat is that having better clinical grades (which often is correlated with how well you interview-- soft people skills) will keep you higher on the rank lists.

Last edited:
Several students with failed rotations, step exams matched at great programs this year. Some of the programs who SOAPed refused to rank/interview these candidates, other programs that did not SOAP (again, including top 10/20 programs) ranked/matched those candidates. So yeah, you'll be fine.
Repeated med school years even. OP should be a shoe in for a top 20 program

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks in advance
Not a convicted felon or sex offender? You'll match well!

• Haha

Thanks in advance
Obviously, do your best to be as competitive as possible, but relax knowing that regardless it sounds like you should match well. Oh and don't forget to enjoy the biryani while you can in residency!

Reactions: 3 users

Thanks in advance
In all seriousness though, why do you want to do rad onc? I'll tell you this. I've done interviews the past couple of years since finishing residency. Everyone that was in the top echelon of applicants all went to the top 10 or so programs. If your CV looks solid (which it looks like it does), I'm sure you'll be fine in the match.

But...I am also seeing the senior residents look for jobs right now, and it is unbelievably painful to see them go through this. They are literally begging anyone for a job interview. While it is early in the cycle, it was no better last year either. I also have colleagues, in practice, at other places that are ready to pounce on a better opportunity, if presented to them, taking opportunities away from the senior residents.

Ten years ago, I got the appeal to do rad onc, which is why I am here now. Today, I am not sure. I hope you find what you need in the field because with EVERYTHING that is going wrong in our field, that feeling may be the only thing that will keep you going. If you're going to be a good doctor to your patients, you can do that in any specialty.

Reactions: 2 users
In all seriousness though, why do you want to do rad onc? I'll tell you this. I've done interviews the past couple of years since finishing residency. Everyone that was in the top echelon of applicants all went to the top 10 or so programs. If your CV looks solid (which it looks like it does), I'm sure you'll be fine in the match.

But...I am also seeing the senior residents look for jobs right now, and it is unbelievably painful to see them go through this. They are literally begging anyone for a job interview. While it is early in the cycle, it was no better last year either. I also have colleagues, in practice, at other places that are ready to pounce on a better opportunity, if presented to them, taking opportunities away from the senior residents.

Ten years ago, I got the appeal to do rad onc, which is why I am here now. Today, I am not sure. I hope you find what you need in the field because with EVERYTHING that is going wrong in our field, that feeling may be the only thing that will keep you going. If you're going to be a good doctor to your patients, you can do that in any specialty.
Knowing where some top program grads have ended up this year vs where a middling program grad like myself ended up over a decade ago, it's quite a stark contrast.

Mdacc sloane Harvard etc pedigree do not guarantee you any kind of job in a setting or location that you like, none whatsoever

Last edited:
I know you are asking honestly and will do well in the match. The field has a straight downward trajectory and gives lots of leeway in competitiveness versus success at the match level.

But I have to add, I don’t think there is an eye roll gif dramatic enough for these threads in this era.

I've had multiple friends who are newly-minted PGY5s texting me about fellowship options over the last couple weeks. It hurts.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
I've had multiple friends who are newly-minted PGY5s texting me about fellowship options over the last couple weeks. It hurts.
We talked about the writing on the wall years ago wrt this unfortunately. They exist as an exploitative sponge to soak up excess grads who can't find a job otherwise

Members don't see this ad :)

Geographic flexibility and willingness to be a solo rad onc make a big difference in terms of opportunities. I have discussed various jobs and interviewed at several places (albeit most are ~2 hr from a major metro). But I'm just a kid from the midwest.

Step 250 and some onc related pubs? You are a shoe in for a top 20 program even if you just get Pass on all of your 3rd year clerkships. Top 20 programs account for about 70 spots which is 70% (70/100) of the US MD pool. Rad onc is a joke to get into now. You know the routine, but as a current PGY4, the job market stinks and will get much worse in 5 years when you are looking. Good luck with your decision.

Step 250 and some onc related pubs? You are a shoe in for a top 20 program even if you just get Pass on all of your 3rd year clerkships. Top 20 programs account for about 70 spots which is 70% (70/100) of the US MD pool. Rad onc is a joke to get into now. You know the routine, but as a current PGY4, the job market stinks and will get much worse in 5 years when you are looking. Good luck with your decision.
I can't even fathom how bad it will be in 5 years with APM already in 1/3 of the practices and the rest staring down its barrel

Geographic flexibility and willingness to be a solo rad onc make a big difference in terms of opportunities. I have discussed various jobs and interviewed at several places (albeit most are ~2 hr from a major metro). But I'm just a kid from the midwest.
Totally agree. But, those are some large caveats - 2 hours (minimum) from a metro, and being a solo doc right out of residency? I don't know if even 50% of graduating residents on any given year would be comfortable with both of those things.

Totally agree. But, those are some large caveats - 2 hours (minimum) from a metro, and being a solo doc right out of residency? I don't know if even 50% of graduating residents on any given year would be comfortable with both of those things.

Those sounds like “unique” opportunities

I can’t imagine having to choose between unemployment or being a solo radonc

Good luck going on vacation lol

Any other field going through this?

Man, imagine spending your first 2 years of med school set on going into this amazing field, stepping away for 4-5 to do your PhD, only to re-enter the arena during the current state of affairs. The good news is that it's never been easier to match and, based on your stats, you could probably simply pass all your clerkships and still be a candidate, if not a shoe in, for every program in the country. I won't belabor the point that everyone's made, just know the situation you're walking into, perhaps one day we'll meet in the breadline.

Man, imagine spending your first 2 years of med school set on going into this amazing field, stepping away for 4-5 to do your PhD, only to re-enter the arena during the current state of affairs. The good news is that it's never been easier to match and, based on your stats, you could probably simply pass all your clerkships and still be a candidate, if not a shoe in, for every program in the country. I won't belabor the point that everyone's made, just know the situation you're walking into, perhaps one day we'll meet in the breadline.

Talents better used elsewhere

At least you know what you're getting into now.

You could have been a top medical student in 2015, struggled to match anywhere in the country, then graduated into the current job market and struggled to find any job at all anywhere in the country. That person was deceived.

Someone doing this now is either deluded or a zealot.

Reactions: 7 users
At least you know what you're getting into now.

You could have been a top medical student in 2014, struggled to match anywhere in the country, then graduated into the current job market and struggled to find any job at all anywhere in the country. That person was deceived.

Someone doing this now is either deluded or a zealot.

Either way getting zero sympathy no matter how accomplished they are at this point.

Just found out my shop is in APM zip code. So either I'm getting fired and getting replaced by a cheaper cog (although im not sure how low you want to go I make 300 in the boonies at a satellite and ive been out a few years) or we just arent gonna a hire anybody and ill be getting an NP/PA as a new associate instead of an MD. Horray!

• Haha
  • Sad
Either way getting zero sympathy no matter how accomplished they are at this point.

Just found out my shop is in APM zip code. So either I'm getting fired and getting replaced by a cheaper cog (although im not sure how low you want to go I make 300 in the boonies at a satellite and ive been out a few years) or we just arent gonna a hire anybody and ill be getting an NP/PA as a new associate instead of an MD. Horray!
Or they'll just double your patients without raising your salary OR hiring another clinician!

You can just make 300k forever and ever. You'll be in good company.
No joke. Its already happening. No advancement. Just treat patients and **** off and let the big boys makes millions and be the so called face of medical care in your community. Thats 21st century medicine right now. the end product of the ACA.

You can just make 300k forever and ever. You'll be in good company.
Inb4 someone says we should be grateful for 300k and that it is more than what the average American makes. I agree that 300k is a lot of money, BUT when compared to other fields it is much lower. Optho, Uro, Derm, Pysch, Rads, Cards, GI, Allergy, Heme Onc, NSG, Plastic Surg, ENT all make much more than 300k and an argument can be made that Radiation Oncologists provide more benefit when compared to some of these fields. So 300k is not much at all especially when accounting for inflation.

Inb4 someone says we should be grateful for 300k and that it is more than what the average American makes. I agree that 300k is a lot of money, BUT when compared to other fields it is much lower. Optho, Uro, Derm, Pysch, Rads, Cards, GI, Allergy, Heme Onc, NSG, Plastic Surg, ENT all make much more than 300k and an argument can be made that Radiation Oncologists provide more benefit when compared to some of these fields. So 300k is not much at all especially when accounting for inflation.
I'll add that the ridiculously soul sucking training requirements warrant it. Not many people realize how much goes into the board certification process... or the process of treatment planning before a patient can even lay on the table for their first fraction. My intern year was a joke compared to a year of rad onc residency. I could have easily done two more years of that without breaking a sweat.

Whenever we had someone from another specialty rotating in our clinic... I would tell them they need to get out of the clinic and spend their time treatment planning. They will see those patients anyway. The best is when I let the Med Onc fellows do a head and neck plan. Deer in headlights....

Will the tide ever shift back for rad onc?
No. If all residencies stopped taking medstudents, we would still have 6500+ radoncs throughout the 2030s when baby boomers will be gone, hpv cancers gone, apm everywhere, and maybe a nasty surprise or 2 from ct dna selecting pts who do need adjuvant radiation…not to mention further “personalization” of prostate and breast. Keep in mind majority of prostate and breast pts don’t benefit from xrt and we will undoubtedly strart to home in on which ones will.

Hah! Little do y’all know I’m a masochist so this just makes me want to join the field even more. Rad onc it is!😎

In all seriousness though, I’m aware of the current state of the field and know it might not be better 5+ years from now. Irl I’ve worked with rad oncs who told me they struggled with finding a job (usually the locums) and they regretted going into the field. I’ve also worked with newly hired rad oncs who had multiple offers and had no regrets at all. Granted, this is in an academic setting (with a chair who is set on expanding the department), which I know can be much different than PP (with same attendings telling me it’s almost impossible to find a job in nowadays). But I have my reasons and appreciate those who at least took my questions somewhat seriously.

Who knows though? I just returned and still have plenty of rotations/electives to do. Maybe some other field will poach me (…or save me?) from rad onc later down the road 😅

Hah! Little do y’all know I’m a masochist so this just makes me want to join the field even more. Rad onc it is!😎

In all seriousness though, I’m aware of the current state of the field and know it might not be better 5+ years from now. Irl I’ve worked with rad oncs who told me they struggled with finding a job (usually the locums) and they regretted going into the field. I’ve also worked with newly hired rad oncs who had multiple offers and had no regrets at all. Granted, this is in an academic setting (with a chair who is set on expanding the department), which I know can be much different than PP (with same attendings telling me it’s almost impossible to find a job in nowadays). But I have my reasons and appreciate those who at least took my questions somewhat seriously.

Who knows though? I just returned and still have plenty of rotations/electives to do. Maybe some other field will poach me (…or save me?) from rad onc later down the road 😅
It's not that it might not be better, it's that it will be worse. Otherwise, welcome.

In all seriousness though, I’m aware of the current state of the field and know it might not be better 5+ years from now.
It would behoove you to look at residency growth the last 1-2 decades vs need for radiation and the possible impact of the apm model from Medicare before you decide to enter rad onc. Things will be much worse in 5 years imo

Good luck. At least give us an update in 7 years or so. We will still be here complaining.

This thread is so depressing :(

someone, say something positive about the future for those of us junior attendings who have a job. As reinforcement so I don’t drink excessively

• Sad

someone, say something positive about the future for those of us junior attendings who have a job. As reinforcement so I don’t drink excessively
Radiation Oncologists are and will be the most knowledgeable about cancer care when compared to Medical Oncology and Surgical Oncology,

You have a job.

Reactions: 6 users
I mean what would a realistic salary look like? I'm not looking for half a million or anywhere near it, but will have 300-400k in debt.

Btw I'm also just a DO student with a 22x on Step lol.

Last edited:
I mean what would a realistic salary look like? I'm not looking for half a million or anywhere near it, but will have 300-400k in debt.

Btw I'm also just a 3rd year DO student with a 22x on Step lol.
Who knows what the salary will look like? The issue will be getting a job in the first place along with the extreme geographic limitations. If you are lucky enough to find a job, you will be beholden to it and suffer possible mistreatment and lack of advancement, given that you will be so screwed where you to ever loose said job. Going into radonc with 3-400k in debt does not comport with an IQ over 100.

salary is still okay right now. However, with current trend in rad onc, in 5 years, it will probably be very similar to pathology, low pay with extreme geographic restrictions, residency programs filled with FMGs and multiple fellowships required before your first real job. In addition, we have one of the hardest board certification processes

Those sounds like “unique” opportunities

I can’t imagine having to choose between unemployment or being a solo radonc

Good luck going on vacation lol

Any other field going through this?
talk to any peds onc fellow who has graduated in the last 5-8 years
1627843418119.png

Who knows what the salary will look like? The issue will be getting a job in the first place along with the extreme geographic limitations. If you are lucky enough to find a job, you will be beholden to it and suffer possible mistreatment and lack of advancement, given that you will be so screwed where you to ever loose said job. Going into radonc with 3-400k in debt does not comport with an IQ over 100.
salary is still okay right now. However, with current trend in rad onc, in 5 years, it will probably be very similar to pathology, low pay with extreme geographic restrictions, residency programs filled with FMGs and multiple fellowships required before your first real job. In addition, we have one of the hardest board certification processes
Thanks for responses.

Honestly, I'm just trying to explore some specialties. I'm not interested in FM, Neuro, Path or really even IM and know my score isn't getting me into any ivory towers or competitive specialties and rad onc is apparently one of the "easier" matches now.

Thanks for responses.

Honestly, I'm just trying to explore some specialties. I'm not interested in FM, Neuro, Path or really even IM and know my score isn't getting me into any ivory towers or competitive specialties and rad onc is apparently one of the "easier" matches now.
Keep in mind we have one of the hardest if not hadest board certification process. With things which might be looking dimmer in furure, there will not be much appetite to make things easier to get BC, things may even get harder as this might be the only way to keep some people out of the workforce. Many will be screwed.

Btw I'm also just a DO student with a 22x on Step lol.

If your debt level will be 400K, you need to be in a specialty that pays more then that per year if you want a realistic shot of paying it off in a reasonable time frame. This is a well documented rule of thumb in the world of student debt.

If your debt level will be 400K, you need to be in a specialty that pays more then that per year if you want a realistic shot of paying it off in a reasonable time frame. This is a well documented rule of thumb in the world of student debt.
Not everyone will land a job in radonc in 5 years and if you have this amount of debt, totally screwed. Why would anyone take this kind of a risk. If you can’t find rotation you like in medicine, go with IM and basically put off making the decision.

Last edited:
Thanks for responses.

Ditto to the last 3 comments.

Plus, should also be aware of the nepotism that exists in rad onc. I'm sure of the handful of American grads that are still applying to rad onc, a good portion of them are going into rad onc knowing that their relative will help them secure a job. So if you don't already know someone with the ability to hire, I think the only thing you can do is train at a top 10 program to help you secure a decent job. Otherwise, you are taking on a huge risk of not finding a job. Not to mention, we have no idea how much lower salaries will be in the future. New grads will have less and less bargaining power as supply increases and I think we are on the cusp of seeing average starting salaries decline.

Thanks for responses.

easy to get a residency spot but very hard to find a job in rad onc..Whats the point of residency if you cannot have a career afterwards? It is "easy" for a reason