3rd Year Medical Student with some basic questions about IM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

help1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm an MS3, average student, with research experience but unfortunately no publications.

My advisor at my school isn't very helpful at all ... so I come to you guys for some help.

1.) I've been to FREIDA ... but is there a book or a website which tells me the average Step 1 score and number of First year seats matched last year for SPECIFIC IM Residency programs, instead of just one score for all of IM? Does First Aid for the Match have this kind of data?

2.) I noticed on FREIDA, that most schools had significantly greater 1st year seats than 2nd year seats? This is concerning? Do 1st years "not make it"? Please explain!

3.) It seems like ALL fellowships are competitive. Besides publications, what else will I need? And if I apply to all the fellowships in the country in a field, coming out of an "average" IM school, and am willing to apply every year for up to 5 years after IM graduation, what would be my approximate chances in say Allergy or GI?

4.) Should I register now for the Step 2 CK (I want to take it at the end of August)?

5.) When's the best time to take Step 2 CS?

6.) Any other advice or anything?

I know I'm just another annoying MS3 on the site ... but any help would be so appreciated. I feel so anxious about this.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

1.) I've been to FREIDA ... but is there a book or a website which tells me the average Step 1 score and number of First year seats matched last year for SPECIFIC IM Residency programs, instead of just one score for all of IM? Does First Aid for the Match have this kind of data?

Competitive IM programs will require a high Step score.
There is no specific site/book for USMLE Step 1 scores at each program.

2.) I noticed on FREIDA, that most schools had significantly greater 1st year seats than 2nd year seats? This is concerning? Do 1st years "not make it"? Please explain!

Attrition can happen. The drop in seats from PGY-1 to PGY-3 is usually from two sources:
1. MD/Ph.Ds fast track and only spend two years at the program
2. MCC = prelims go to their primary field after PGY-1

The great majority of residents make it through residency!

3.) It seems like ALL fellowships are competitive. Besides publications, what else will I need? And if I apply to all the fellowships in the country in a field, coming out of an "average" IM school, and am willing to apply every year for up to 5 years after IM graduation, what would be my approximate chances in say Allergy or GI?

This is hard question to answer. Match to a specific program and then ask. Let's not put the cart in front of the horse at this point.

4.) Should I register now for the Step 2 CK (I want to take it at the end of August)?

Yes... if you have the money, it is a good idea. Seats can fill up quick. Your eligibility period is 3 months for the exam.

5.) When's the best time to take Step 2 CS?
I favor early because as fourth year progresses you lose motivation. Take it in September or October.
If you have $ 1055, you can sign up now given that the eligibility period is 1 year. Seats for this exam can fill up fast as well.

6.) Any other advice or anything?
I would continue to work hard in school at this point.
Try to get good LORs.
Plan!
Try to crush Step 2CK.
The list could go on...
There are several good books about the match process on amazon.com
First Aid for the Match, Iserson's Getting into A Residency, The Successful Match: 200 Rules to Succeed in the Residency Match

I made a summary thread of our SDN knowledge base for this interview season here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=698367

Best wishes :luck:

Your questions aren't annoying. They exemplify the reason this site exists. It's helpful to get information from people who are more in the know than you are.

1. Nope -- that website would eliminate a lot of the conjecture on this board about what step 1 scores are needed. Some programs might list a "preferred" step 1 score, but this is certainly the exception rather than the rule.

2. The days of pyramidal residencies are over. Nearly every PGY1 goes right into their PGY2. The discrepancy is numbers is due to the lumping in of preliminary PGY1's who do a year of IM before traipsing off to dermatology, radiology, or neurology, etc.

3. With that kind of dedication, pretty good. Part of it depends on the program, but a lot of "average" programs will take their own for fellowship spots. Where you can get into trouble is if there are 6 residents in your class competing for 3 GI spots. Staying in-house is usually your surest bet for fellowship.

4. Probably wise to go ahead and register for Step 2 just so you ensure you get your preference of dates.

5. You can take CS whenever, although a couple of programs this year implemented a requirement to have passed CS prior to them ranking you. The vast majority don't though, so if you wanted to push it back to the spring, you could. But probably better to take it in the fall and just get it out of the way.

Best of luck during the rest of your 3rd year.

Thanks a lot guys. Your responses were very helpful!