3rd Year New to Ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visco

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've read several forums about applying to ophthalmology and it seems like so many of you have some great advice to offer. As everyone's situation is unique, I thought I'd post mine to see if you can help me out.

I'm a 3rd year Osteopathic student who just recently became interested in ophtho during a surgery subspecialty rotation. Previously I thought I wanted to do EM but have been having second thoughts for a while. To highlight some of my credentials:
Pre-clinical: All A's except 1 or 2 classes, top 10%
Boards: Step1 260+, COMLEX 830's
Extracurriculars: Mostly EM related with a few leadership positions, a few EM conferences, academic tutor, some teaching experience, some volunteering
Research: None (got married between years 1 and 2; few opportunities at my institution)
Clinical: Honors in IM, hopefully honors in surgery, others TBD

As a DO student with no research experience I know I have my work cut out for me despite my good academic record and board scores. I've found a few opportunities in my area that I'm looking into. First, I'm planning on shadowing a guy I know who just finished his ophtho residency and moved to the area. I also know of a free cataract clinic that some students at my school have volunteered at in the past that I can potentially get involved with. Lastly, I've looked into research and there a few potential opportunities in the area, though it seems to be mostly basic science research and not clinical.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the opportunities I mentioned above and general advice on how I can make the best use of the time I have left to strengthen my application and become a part of this incredible field!

Members don't see this ad.

No need to dwell on the difficulty; it seems you have a good sense of that. To be completely honest, I'm not sure that shadowing will boost your application in any significant way. I think the best thing you could do other than somehow finding a connection to a big shot in the field is completing some sort of research. Depending on your timeline, basic science is not the best avenue to go down in terms of research yield. I would suggest finding something clinical unless you have a year or more to complete a significant basic science endeavor. Ophtho is a small field and, especially in your case, having someone to vouch for you is probably the most valuable currency outside of a good board score/grades and institutional reputation. As always, take my advice with a grain of salt as it is based solely on my experience and not on anything outside of anecdote. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
No need to dwell on the difficulty; it seems you have a good sense of that. To be completely honest, I'm not sure that shadowing will boost your application in any significant way. I think the best thing you could do other than somehow finding a connection to a big shot in the field is completing some sort of research. Depending on your timeline, basic science is not the best avenue to go down in terms of research yield. I would suggest finding something clinical unless you have a year or more to complete a significant basic science endeavor. Ophtho is a small field and, especially in your case, having someone to vouch for you is probably the most valuable currency outside of a good board score/grades and institutional reputation. As always, take my advice with a grain of salt as it is based solely on my experience and not on anything outside of anecdote. Good luck.
Thanks @kiwi-doc, I appreciate your input. I have a month-long elective this spring. Since my home institution doesn't have an ophtho program and I haven't had any luck finding clinical research in my area (though I'll keep trying), would you recommend trying to do a research elective at another institution? Or would my time be better spent doing an ophtho rotation and making contacts that way?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think doing away electives would be a good idea. It will be important to get a letter of recommendation from somebody well connected. It may help you to do an elective at a big-name place for that reason. You could also consider doing an elective at a smaller program as a "trial interview," but that can be risky for the same reason. I'd also look into the ophthalmology research year programs as a back-up option if the match is disappointing.

I think doing away electives would be a good idea. It will be important to get a letter of recommendation from somebody well connected. It may help you to do an elective at a big-name place for that reason. You could also consider doing an elective at a smaller program as a "trial interview," but that can be risky for the same reason. I'd also look into the ophthalmology research year programs as a back-up option if the match is disappointing.
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking into some research options for this year and have already started working on a case report since I created this thread. I'd rather not take an additional year off from my training to do research, especially since I don't see myself practicing in a big academic setting after residency. Are there programs out there that are known for turning out solid community ophthalmologists that perhaps don't place as big of an emphasis on research?