3rd-year OSCEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ButterButter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how other schools handle 3rd year OSCEs. At my school, students are brought back for a didactic week at the end of every 3rd rotation, during which time they do a couple OSCEs. These OSCEs are graded quantitatively (not just pass/fail, or pass/no pass if faculty want to be polite) and are factored into the rotation grades along with evaluations and shelf scores. Under this scenario, a single bad 14-minute encounter can ruin 4 weeks of great performance on a rotation and can significantly impact a rotation grade. I'm curious how many schools out there have pass/fail OSCEs and how other schools handle them?

Members don't see this ad.

We start OSCEs in the first semester of med school as part of our clinical examination course. It accounts for a smaller percentage of our grade than our written exams, but we have to pass both our written and practical portions of the course to pass overall. It doesn't bother me that it's not pass/fail. I would assume that if you do fine with real patients, you will also do fine with standardized patients.

1) I think this thread was discussed elsewhere on the forum recently.
2)
... I would assume that if you do fine with real patients, you will also do fine with standardized patients.
Not true at my school.